1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

whats your ideal number of dolls

May 25, 2019

1. As someone who likes to keep clutter to a minimum, my ideal number of dolls is no more than four. But... I've since found "improved bodies", "a head I absolutely must have," etc, and together, I already have three BJDs with one more on the way ^^. Still, even with this (going to be) four, I feel like I am missing a member of the family. I have no room for more, but I want to have more. Oh, the dilemma...

2. I think currently my ideal amount of dolls would max out at 20-25 dolls at the most. Which is saying something, since my collection currently stands at 15 if I count my doll heads as dolls and my incoming dolls...

3. I think 7 BJDs would be the ideal number for me (though I don't have any yet so we'll see how that goes). 7 just seems like a good, magical number, and I like it for some arbitrary, superstitious reason. I try to limit myself to 7 of each type of doll, if that makes sense. So, for example, I have 5 Momoko dolls right now (they're not BJDs, they're kind of like a thin, well-made Japanese Barbie) and to be honest I would sell 3 of them before I bought any more.

4. I'd like to keep the number of my dolls low, it happened to me before that I got 1 collectible item and loved it, played with it all the time. However the moment I started collecting more it became more like decoration. Really don't want that to happen to my dolls! So if I have to say a number it would be maybe 3.

5. I think for me, it's under 20. Right now I have three at home and waiting on 8 more to arrive. I'm pretty sure my crew will be complete at 11 but with tons of new dolls being released every year, I'm not too sure - but I definitely would not go above 20. :thumbup

6. I only have one on topic and one off topic dolls ^^ So yeah I would love to have about 10 of each hahah, and I think that's quite a lot. So I'm not sure about a number but, 10 sounds nice xD

7. I thought I had a limit at 20, but then the resin army just steadily kept growing and growing. I really have no idea when I'll be putting a cap on it, even going over 80 hasn't stopped me from getting more resin home. Perhaps somewhere in the triple digits I'll stop or slow down considerably. Time will tell.

8. Between 1 and a lot.
      The way I see it, some of us will go crazy collecting, others will scrape enough together for the few we care about. Honestly being a BJD fan without having a doll for years was sad, some of my favorite sculpts and businesses vanished before I even had the chance to buy. RIP Dream of Doll.

My current plan is to stick with the two I have until I've saved up enough for other things, or paid off my relatively small student loans.

9. I'm just going to collect as many as I have room for... I have 1000+ original characters, so there's always someone to make into a doll. I'm getting my first doll in a few days, though, so my collection is just beginning! :P Of course, I'm not going to go into debt trying to get dolls, because I'm rather poor and so I'll just get them as I can afford them!

10. Right now the only real limit is space and money haha. I kind of want one for each of my OCs, or at least some favorites. That puts me between 5 and 8. But there's also a couple of special sculpts that I just sort of want. So, maybe 10 would be my limit, not counting my OTs. Right now the only real limit is space and money haha.

11. Right now, I have plans for 5. But 7 would be my stopping point. For me, that’s manageable and enough. I want to spend a good amount of time working on each character and using them to create a story/stories for me to write. I love collecting, and could see myself having a LOT of dolls, but I want to keep it small and make each doll one I absolutely adore

12. Honestly, I think it'd be 2. There are space and money limitations, but mostly I wouldn't have the time to give them all the attention they deserve if I had more. I'd rather have one or two fully developed characters that can grow and change with me through the years.

13. I am in this hobby for more than 10 years, I have 10 1/3 doll, I would like 3 more 1/3 doll.

14. I would say that my ideal number was 5 but I already have 5 plus a floating head and another floating head on the way with dreams of some more dolls :sweat
      Time to buy a house I guess www

15. I don't know that I have an ideal number in mind - it's something of a gut instinct, a feeling that "this is complete" or "something is missing." I suppose various groupings of my dolls have ideal numbers (some work best alone, or in pairs, or as a trio or quartet). Some dolls I love but only figure out where they "belong" when I add a new doll and they click. I guess my ideal number is a state in which I feel creatively inspired by my current collection but don't feel overwhelmed.

16. I don't really have a 'goal' number in mind, I'll just see where I go. However, I do make sure I'll only buy dolls that I'm head over heels for, and not make any impulse buys. I'll sit for ages on whether or not i'll want a sculpt, so that I can be sure I'll bond with it properly if I decide to buy it. That way, my collection grows veeeery very slowly, but it'll be full of dolls I know I love ^^

17. Id say 8 to 10 is ideal for me
      I like a wide variety of sizes so I think thats a good number for me personally

18. 4. When I was a kid I used to dream that I had unlimited superpowers due to a heart tattoo with 4 colors. Yes it is very silly but it was during a hard time in my life so it has obtained some significance. Thus, each represents part of that heart design.

19. I like this, heh! 7 does seem like a good number.

I don't want to own an excessive amount of BJDs, despite admiring an excessive amount of them. Just the idea of having all those and feeling like there's never enough for each one... I'd rather have a manageable amount that I can store and focus on. I'm very prone to a collector mentality, but for me BJDs are more of a hobby than strictly a collection. I think I've talked about this before, but for me, a collection is enjoyed in aggregate--I look for niches to expand upon and fill, I enjoy having a lot of one thing in a specific category and a lot of specific categories. Curation, basically. But even if I could afford that for dolls (spoiler alert: I can't), I don't think that's how I want to enjoy them. They'd lose their individuality for me. Can't see the trees for the forest.

20. I'm getting back I to the hobby after a long time away for work/school/life and it's really reframing the way I look at my collection. Before my collection was limited only by money and storage space, but now I have a house and full time income so those are lesser barriers. I really like making sets for my dolls so I now want my collection to be cohesive and fit into a few displays together, so my numbers are more limited by size and storyline.

One other thought I've had recently that encourages me to limit my dolls is the idea of an evacuation or emergency. We've had some close calls in the past few years where we've thought about evacuating or moving, and I want my collection to be small enough to fit into a suitcase if I need it to. Currently, that's looking to be about 10 msd size and 5 to 10 yo sd size. Caveat here being that tinies are like potato chips and I have no earthly idea how many I have... they rule my pocketbook but luckily they also fit in a lunchbox lol!