1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

When browsing dolls, do you gravitate towards ones that look similar you?

Jan 26, 2017

1. Well, since I have only one doll, and he's male, I'd have to say my dolls don't look like me (thankfully ;)). However, the dolls I want do look a bit like me. Many of them have pouty lips and I prefer for them to be styled with a slightly sad face up (downturned eyes, eyebrows with little arch, pout emphasized, etc).
      As for bodies, I like the ones that look the way I looked 10 pounds ago, so I don't know if that counts (I should be working out to make ME look like that again, but, you know, it's so much easier just to buy dollies that do :XD:).
      Styling, we pretty much match. I got a couple things for Ashe that were different from my style, but that ended pretty quickly. Now I go by the rule that my dollies don't wear anything I wouldn't wear. :)

2. Nope, I gravitate towards the ones whose faces I like. I think one that looked like me would creep me out. Also, it would probably be a child doll even though I'm over 30, because I'm one of those unfortunate (?) people who doesn't age and I look about 14 still.

3. I'm generally turned off by my own appearance, so not really. However I do go after dolls that have the same pattern of features--ones similar to the dolls I already own.

4. Absolutely not!
      I recently realized that they all have something similar to a hime cut, though (;´∀`)

5. I haven't seen any that look like me yet v.v

6. Given how much I like manly, manly men with hawkish noses, I would have to say no. XDD

7. Not at all.

I don't think any of my dolls look like me. Dhani might be closest, but only because of his skin color, curly brown hair and green eyes-- not his sculpt at all.

Aside from a few sculpts from the same company or similar wigs, I think my crew is pretty diverse in sculpt, resin color, body types and styles.

8. It would be a yes and no for me. I like doll with faces I deem pretty and that is a pretty broad term as I see a lot of dolls as being "pretty". I think I mainly prefer big and upturned eyes. I prefer to find dolls in my skin tone but, it can be hard to find tan dolls or any that are darker than your standard tan that don't cost a million dollars. For now, I will settle with pretty light-resin dolls. :)

9. I don't draw a lot of inspiration from aspects of my looks//personality when creating my characters/dolls. I like for them to be their own multi-dimensional characters, and not just reflections (or variations) of me. There might be some features I share with them, but that's merely coincidental. Variety is the spice of life to me, and to have them all be aspects of me would make them pretty bland in my eye :XD:.

10. No, since most of the dolls I like are not male and I have a lack of acne!xD Really though even without that I don't think I've ever seem a doll male or female that looks anything like me, but I guess many could look like me if you painted them, as I have fairly fine features like a lot of the more androgynous sculpts...-_- I wouldn't be interested if I did though, I actively hate that idea. I don't despise my looks, but it's not a source of confidence for me... so looking at a mini me all the time would likely kill my mood.

I prefer my dolls to be different and not like me, or even each other anyway. I would like my collection to be fairly varied as I love all sorts of looks.

11. I don't actively seek dolls that look like me in any way, but I have always had a soft spot for tanned dolls. I guess I unconsciously identify with them because their color is similar to mine.

12. My boyfriend is doing so, he has this OC roughly based on himself, so he is looking for dolls that match that criteria (tan dolls)

13. Lol, if I saw a sculpt that looked 52 years old, I'd have to laugh. But I do gravitate to fairies or more mature dolls, except fthat r my imps from mushroom peddler whom I love dearly

14. None of my dolls look remotely like me. Like above, I'm middle-aged, so that's no surprise, but none of them even resemble what I looked like when I was young.

15. i actually have seen some mature older styled dolls! something along the lines of a "silver fox" type of styling xD

16. I don't think any of my dolls have ever looked like me, but I do tend to like dolls that have smaller lips like mine.

17. Nope, the only things the dolls I like have in common is the ghostly paleness lol. I tend to look for dolls that are androgynous looking and whimsical which I am not.

18. Well, I was gonna answer this with a solid "nope," but then I started thinking about it more. I don't tend to go after dolls that heavily resemble me, but I do prefer dolls that have some features similar to mine. I tend to prefer downturned eyes over upturned ones, and I like European looking dolls over other ethnicities if I don't have a specific character in mind. So yeah. I guess I do prefer dolls that at least sortof look like me. :ablink:

19. No... but if I saw a nose like mine on a mini I'd probably go for it. My sister once ran across a tiny that she thought looked like old baby pictures of me, and I could see the resemblance in a stylized kind of way, but wasn't really drawn to the doll at all...

But, I am an absolute sucker for red wigs, and have contemplated buying and blending together hanks of different reds to make a wig that actually matched my natural color.