1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

When do you have too many dolls?

Dec 16, 2010

1. This. I'm not there yet either, but I've definitely slowed down.

2. You have too many dolls if you are using bill money to buy more dolls or you are neglecting the real people in your life.

3. I've been at the "too many" stage, and for me it mostly came down to not having the time or motivation to properly maintain them all, combined with the lack of good spaces to display as many as I had.

Occasionally stepping back, taking a good, critcal look at your dolls and "culling the herd" so-to-speak to refine your collection is a good thing, I think. In the end, you'll be happier with what you have and probably a lot more aware of where you want to go in the future.

4. I would have to say that there would be too many when I would not have the time to pay attention to each one. If I would ever get so many that I did not change an outfit, change a pose, or just "play" with in the time frame of oh 3 months or so, then I would say I have too many!

Robert

5. For me (and I'm a beginner so I only have one bjd atm), I think my max. will be around 2 or 3 XD mostly because I don't have the time or budget to care for more than that, and also because I only want to have a few personally special dolls ^_^

6. tbh, now that I think about it, I could probably just be satisfied with two of my dollies. I don't have much room because I'm still living with my parents, and as such everything I own is pretty much confined to my room. Which is full.

As such, I've stopped actively looking for new dolls. I've got my Epidos, Pryol and Minette coming, but I think after those three get here, I won't look for any more. I'll just actively encourage my friends to join the hobby, so I can see more pretty dolls coming home. (Yes, friend, buy that Tedros you're in love with. Buy! Buy! Muahahaha! -gets odd looks-)

So for me, my max is going to be about 6. That's the maximum I can have in the space that I have. But I think it depends on the constraints of the individual.

To be honest, I think I need to cull the number of hobbies and collections I keep, more than the number of dolls I have.

7. When I can no longer remember their sculpts and the names I gave them, I will have reached "too many". Until then, The Horde does grow.

8. The first thought that popped into my head when I saw this question was, "When I have nowhere to put them all." But then I realized that that hasn't stopped me when it comes to my other collecting habits, such as comic books, so that answer is likely not going to fly with my doll collecting, either. In all honesty, I actually haven't given this idea much thought, especially since I'm in the process of planning my next five purchases, which will eventually bring my collection up to seven. Even then, I'm aware that I'll very likely purchase a few more, depending on my needs and/or what catches my eye. So, in the end, I really do have no idea as to what would qualify as too many dolls for me. I'll let you know if I ever do feel that way, though.:D

9. For me, I actually have a very specific number that I refuse to go over, and that number is twelve. I have two dolls right now with another two coming in (and I've only been in the hobby since late September!!) so I have been going a little crazy, and I almost went crazier. Then I finally convinced myself to stop buying, because having so many dolls to pay for was reaaaallly stressing me out, and I had no money to spoil the ones I have. So, now I have major plans for three (characters, photostory plots, styles and such) one of which I have at home and one which is on layaway. The other I plan to buy after I sell my bike. After that, I plan to just kind of save for dolls on my wishlist, and probably some Soom tinies, if they blow me away.

But, honestly, I may find that I just want the three that I have plans for. If that's the case, it probably will take some time to give up the others I will have acquired by then, just out of guilt. But hopefully I will be able to do it and be happier because of it. Basically, too many to me is either twelve or just feeling uncomfortable with one or more of the dolls that are at home. It'll never be more than twelve, though (I swear it!!!). Haha, I'm probably gonna come back here in a year or two with 23 and say, "Twelve?? What was I thinking?! That's not nearly enough!"

10. I think that it is a personal thing when it is too many.

For me, it is not even a steady number. Back in this summer I suffered from a large depression, and then my dolls overwhelmed me and I though I had reached the line of too many dolls.
      But now when the depression is over, I can feel joy again and also the joy of my dolls. My dolls don't feel as 'too many' anymore. I even ordered a new one recently. :lol:

11. I always feel that the people who have about a dozen and up are pushing it.
      But that's more just me wondering jealously, "how do they get the money! >8(" haha.

I think when buying bjds becomes more of an autonomous action than a deep and influenced decision, and when you barely give them the attention they need and only have them for the novelty, that it's time to stand back and take a look at your attitude towards buying.

12. For me I think it's too many when there is no room left and I would have them stored in their boxes. I need my dolls all around me so I can always see them and play with them, and if the time comes that all my free space for them is gone, I must stop collecting. I don't want to store them in boxes where I rarely take them out.

13. Personally, I think my max would be about 6, tinys not included, but bigger dolls would be a max of 6. As long as I have a nice mix of genders and styles I think I'd be okay, but when I start buying dolls just because and I don't get the excitement out of it anymore I think it would be time to stop. On the other hand I may end up with more, who knows, but I don't think so, we'll see in a few years, right? I might have a hoard of tinys by then, haha

14. Forgive me for picking your quote, but this statement always puzzles me.
      How do inanimate objects need attention? :sweat
      I'm not trying to be mean or anything, I'm just genuinely wondering. :)

I don't know what would be too many for me, but I do feel that at the moment,
      I don't really have the 'want' for new dolls, except two shells for two OCs I want. (And a boy Heliot... )
      That's also partly because I'm lacking the space for any more big dolls, and I love SDs. :(

I can't speak for others. Everyone experiences their dolls different and handles/plays with them in a different way.
      What is a lot for one is very few for another.

15. having too many for me would be when i don't have time for all of them. It would make me sad if i had a pretty doll that i didn't have time to play with or take pictures of because i was giving other dolls attention. In a practical sense it would also be a waste to spend that money on something i'm not fully enjoying. As long as i like a doll enough to always have time for them and throughly enjoy having them then it's not too many.

16. Too many is:
      ... everytime I feel like I'm running out of space.
      ... when I look at a doll and wonder if I actally should have bought it and think about selling.
      ... when my boyfriend/parents/close friends would tell me to stop because it gets way too much.

Anyways, I think you should really set your limit yourself. But besides that running out of space, not having as much time for your dolls as you would like, or worse not having as much time for your friends as they deserve, spending more than just a little too much on dolls and their stuff or other real life issues caused by an ever growing amout of dolls - definitly starting to get unhealthy and too much there.
      But that is with every hobby I guess. As long as one is able to keep the dolls a hobby, maybe a job to some extend or the other but not your only cause of happyness everything is fine. That said: if your loved ones can deal with it, you bank account does not sit in a corner crying and your shelf still has more room go for more if you want to.

17. I usually say that in my opinion having too many BJD is when you start having troubles of space and/or in your pocket because of them. For me the quantity for too many always depends on the person. I think I have many for the room and expenses they mean, but not too many because every of them is an important piece of the puzzle my pirates crew is and at the same time I may handle to take care and enjoy every member of the group.

18. One has too many bjds when the joy this hobby brings starts to be replaced with thoughts seeping into the subconscious such as
      "I shouldn't have bought the one" or
      "I am running out of room" or
      "I need to make that car payment" or
      "Life is getting in my way of enjoying my crew"
      "I have no time lately"........

For each person the number pushing one over the edge will be different. It might be 2 bjds, or 200 bjds and it will change over time.

19. too many dolls for me would be when i'm not able or motivated to finish them. i've had my main doll nearly three years and i've yet to finish him at all (i suspect he's the type that just keeps changing), but i would consider too many to be when the owner isn't motivated to finish them.

20. More than 3-4 are too many for me.

I used to have 7 dolls and I felt stress more than happy, I tired of finding wigs, eyes, shoes, sewing dress, taking pictures etc. They turn in to burden to me.