1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

When do you have too many dolls?

Dec 16, 2010

1. haha, I missed this post when reading but that's just soo funny. I'd be like, "I do not remember ordering you, but I'm okay with this." lol

2. It's important to remember that having a lot of dolls is not necessarily the same as having too many dolls!

And yes, it's a totally individual thing.

I wanted to stop at ONE, but we all know how well that works. *_*

For years I had under 10 and felt quite good. Then I tipped over 10 and all of a sudden it was 20 this year! (Bear in mind, I've been buying since 2004... they start adding up!) I feel I definitely have a lot of dolls. I don't really feel like I have too many dolls, even though I've passed previously set limits several times.

I think I'll have too many when they stop being fun.

3. Everyone has their own limit. For me, I don't have a limit placed. As long as there are dolls I like and I can afford them, I'll keep adding to my collection ^_^

4. In all honesty,

I feel like I will have too many dolls once my characters become shallow and generic. In other words, when I don't really dig into their story. Also, when I can barely take care of one of them let alone the whole bunch.

Another event that will let me know that I have too many will be when I completely forget that I even had the doll. Like. "Oh, look at that I have a Venitu. When did I buy this?"

5. I have personally set a cap at three dolls at any given time. I realize that that is a very small number, but for me, it is important to keep a strict guideline. It helps because I have to put a lot of thought into any doll that I get. As such, it's taking me quite some time to decide on a mold for my last doll (which will be a girl). I think that it helps me be less impulsive and really appreciate the dolls I have.

Though, I don't really start thinking that anyone has too many until they get in the upper 20s range. That's a lot of dolls and characters and clothes and wigs to keep track of. But whatever floats your boat, I always say.

6. I would honestly say only 3 at the most for me. Right now I only have one but I still have a lot of work to do on her. I have some mods and some basic maintenance that she needs. Additionally I want to get her some better clothes and maybe a better wig. So I am very occupied with just one. I don't need a ton of other dolls that I will be tempted to pour money into so they are complete. Plus I want to be able to give a lot of attention and love to my future dolls and I wouldn't be able to do that if I had too many.

7. When you no longer have room or money for them, or worse, when you no longer have room or money for yourself.

8. If you want to collect them, then I think there's no limits.:lol: Okay, maybe then if you don't have space anymore or your voice in your head says there's too many dolls or something.:lol: Or if you want only a few dolls, and treat each of them like your own child, then there cannot be so many dolls. But acually it cannot be said that directly when there is too many dolls. It depends on many things.

9. Since, personally, I'm not sure I'll run out of characters, I don't think there's an actual limit. However, speaking in realistic terms, I think you have "too many" once you no longer have a place to keep them safely. Whether that number for you is three on a bookshelf, or a hundred on custom-built shelving in their own space, is up to you.

10. I think too many (and I mean too many of anything) is when the object takes over space that would have served another function or object. For example packing a garage so full of things that you can no longer park your car (that used to fit) in your garage. I think as collectors we all have a different concept of what is too much for us personally; so for me it's definitely when I no longer have space.

11. When I first got into the hobby, I told myself I would only have a maximum of four dolls. I saw a lot of people on instagram that had upwards of 15 dolls at one time, and I would think "How on earth do they have the time to upkeep and take care of all of them?! It's too many!"

I have just received my third doll and already have two more on the way. I am also considering buying another three or so in the future, and I know that there will eventually be more after that :celebrate:whee: I think it's impossible to put a number to the term "too many", it really is a personal decision when you have too many ;)

12. I have too many. I have to stop or sell some. :o

I love them all though.

13. Ha! Heck if I know! It's been a year since I got my first resin baby and I already have six! I'm pretty much out of shelf space in my closet for them, but there are still other dolls I want. Eventually I'll relocate my dolls (in their cases) to a vintage chest for protection, and if I have to get a second chest in the future then so be it. I suppose I'll say ''no more'' when every character in my head is shelled into a doll, or I run out of sculpts that I love. Until then, bring on the resin children!

14. I used to fell as if I could never have too many... but now I'll be at 19 when my newest one arrives and I feel like I'm reaching my maximum. I save all of my boxes, so with the space I'm working with they all fit perfectly in my closet at the moment. I'm not sure where I'd put additional boxes. I'm also very happy with my resin crew at the moment, and feel satisfied with each one. At this point, a doll would really have to wow me to bring it home. There is one character doll I'd love to work on creating, but I haven't seen anything out there at the moment that I feel confident selecting as a sculpt so it might be a project later down the road.

15. I sometimes think I have too many but I'm pretty happy with the dolls I have anyway. About the only thing that might tempt me anymore is a couple of the 16" resin fashion BJD's that Dollmore makes. I still have a bit of a lingering thing for Essex and Sarah and I like Chris too but the price tags on those dolls are making them cost prohibitive for me. Eh, maybe if I win the lotto, laugh, but I don't NEED them. I just want them, sigh....

16. When my Peakwoods Viyol arrives I'll be at 21 full dolls and six floating heads. I never really set a limit on myself, but I'm definitely starting to feel like I'm hitting the max... I don't have as much free time/energy as I once did and I have some that are still without names and faceups. That said, Viyol is the first I've bought in awhile and I've definitely slowed down on doll purchasing in the last several years, so it's been a natural progression. Today I even went in and edited my old wishlist from 20+ down to just three (and some bodies for those floating heads), and of those only one is a definitely "someday" buy. I think I'm just entering that period in the hobby where I'm ready to settle down and concentrate on what I have for awhile rather than acquiring any more. :sweat

Interestingly enough, the more dolls I've gotten the more I've started to like smaller ones... you can fit a lot more MSDs on a shelf than you can huge Super Gems ;)

17. When the hobby becomes more overwhelming than fun. When you look at your collection and see a hoarders' dream instead of beauty. When you slop a doll together for as fast and cheap as possible instead of trying to create something you love.

I reached this point when I had over 30 dolls. I barely enjoyed the hobby at all and my dolls didn't look good or make me happy. I sold half of them and used the money to make the remaining ones look their best. I put more effort in each one and finally began to love my dolls again. So for me, I think anything over 18-20 is too many. But that's just for me. There is no set number, just a point when you stop enjoying your dolls due to sheer overwhelming stress.

18. I imagine any point when it become a problem space-wise, financially, with your personal life, etc. Even with one doll it can get so expensive - I don't think I'll be able to afford another one for a while. I also live in a small studio apartment, so multiple dolls might cause problems with storage etc.

19. I started feeling like I had too many back when I only had just received my tenth doll. Soon I had upwards twenty (like, three years later...) with as many floating heads and more incoming dolls and several ones in the wishlist still... It was becoming crazy and I felt like I still needed more because I didn't have all the characters I needed.

Now I'm selling a lot of dolls for financial reasons mostly, twenty two items in total between floating heads and full dolls, and I feel like the remaining thirteen (excluding my paper sakura kitty blob and dust of dolls krot faceplate on a fabric body) plus six floating heads are a much more manageable number. Even if I include the three incoming dolls and one head, 16 + 7 is a much better number than 27 + 16 was. In addition, my wishlist is only four items long as opposed to the 18 strong it used to be.

I feel like we all have different perceptions of what is too many, though. For me ten dolls is too many, and my hopeful 20 full dolls I'm aiming for, is about twice as many than too many yet I'm willing to put up with it regardless.

20. When I can't keep track of them all there are too many. I've hit 16 in 3 years, but next to none are "finished". Most need a face-up, different eyes or a different wig. I also haven't fully developed characters for most of them. So I feel like I'm bordering on too much at the moment because no one is complete.