1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

When do you have too many dolls?

Dec 16, 2010

1. This is a really interesting question. I am still relatively new to the hobby and don't have many yet but so far I have not set an actual limit on myself.

All I know is that I have nine at the moment and that is not the end to my collecting so far because my wish list is still so long.

2. New ironic answer to this question. When you buy a house with tons of custom made cabinets and the first thing that takes priority going into them isn't your clothes and other stuff but your dolls. Most people when seeing that they have a closet cabinet literally the whole length of a room in several rooms would promptly probably fill them with things like clothes and shoes, right? Not sit there with their clothing and stuff still in plastic boxes mentally re-configuring all that extra closet space into DOLL space.

That's exactly what I have been doing though ever since I moved into my new house. I did finally dedicate half of my bedroom closet for my clothes. But the the other half and the closets in three other rooms are getting new doors, glass fronted and shelving to display my dolls. I also have a couple of large curio cabinets to display them in. Basically I plan on living in my own personal doll museum, grin. I've never been able to do this though, have them all out at one time, properly displayed, and I want to.

My extra clothes are actually going into some Ikea Rast dressers. I have about 8 of them and that's plenty for most of my stuff that doesn't need to hang. The shoes are getting stored in what I believe what was actually a closet for sheets, towels, and that. So in reality there is plenty of space in those cabinets for dolls if I just replace the sliding fold out doors with plexi-glass ones and build a few shelves.

The BJD's are going in the left side of the bedroom closet. I'm going to sit them on risers behind a glass door so my boy cat can't mess with them but so that I can still see and enjoy them even when he's around. There's far less light in my room so they will be safer in there than in the other rooms which are very bright. I'll probably put up a shade in that cabinet too so that when I am not enjoying them they won't get too much, but they will have their own space now. Not just sit undressed in boxes or in drawers when I am not using them.

3. Right now, I only have one and a half, and to be honest, I only plan on having about seven to ten dolls at most. I feel like any more than that I wouldn't spend any money/attention/time with the ones I would already have D; plus, I would run out of characters.

4. At the moment, I have seven (and four floating heads), and I still would like more. I think I'll decide my 'too many' limit when I get there... Or when I run out of space. Whichever comes first.

5. My definition of 'too many dolls' is when you have so many that you can't manage them. For different people, that number will be different. But usually, something becomes 'too much' at different points for different people. You might also have too many if you can no longer fit them properly in your home, whether they be in their boxes, or on display out in the open.

6. I think you have "too many dolls" when the thought of them starts to overwhelm you. That's when I know it's time to think about downsizing :)

7. I always said, just one doll! I have had 7 Dollis.

I never thought about that... The last month I decited to let two of 'em go... but... on the end i'm stuck with 7 again! XD

#87 Lysandra, Feb 17, 2016
      Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
    8. I have too many dolls. I have 60+ dolls right now. I think it depends on the owner what is "too many", but I feel for me, it's when they sit too long without any attention. I don't get to play with all my dolls, and when I have no desire to play with them, I think it's time they move on. Which never ends up lowering my doll count, because I'm a sucker for trading. Haha

9. When you get rid of your tv because you are looking for a place where to put the new cabinets that you will use for doll clothes only and the only place available was taking up space by the tv so it had to go....or is it just me? :sweat no more tv in my room, my dolls took priority and it's not my room anymore either way...it is the dolls' room!

I also have to move out in a few months and I'm looking at my room with fear :shudder there are so many dolls and dolls' props everywhere, it will take me forever to pack everything up and it even worse, it will take me forever to start unpacking... I don't even want to think about it :...(

And that my friends, made me realize that I have too much already. I have to stop this year or at least wait until I move to my new place.

10. I'm using DoA's signature limit to limit my doll family. It's limited to 10 for now (because I can only fit 10 pictures into the current format) but I can't say for sure that it will work in the long run. It's working for me now at least. :sweat

11. When do I have too many dolls? RIGHT NOW.

I remember distinctly thinking I had too many dolls when my ninth came home. But now I am at 40+, and it is overwhelming. There are about seven that I MIGHT be able to part with, which I haven't really introduced as characters, but once I have done that I won't want to sell them. I find I empathize with them too much.

And they have taken over my sofa so I can't sit there. They are only in the living room of my house, and not everywhere. I did buy a shelf unit for them to sit on, which would make places to sit for most of them, but I haven't set it up yet. I'm still trying to decide the best way to organize the living room.

Linda S.
      galatia9

12. Okay, I just read through all these post, and it is making me seriously reconsider some of my doll spending choices and my future ones. I have only been in this hobby for three years, and I already have 8 doll and one floating head that I had not manage to sell. I am already at the point where most of my dolls just sit and gather dust while their true character remains undeveloped. Plus, I have already started a layaway plan for one and seriously eyeballing another.

At this point, I wish I could just start completely over and in a much more refined manner as well. :huh?:

As for what is too much doll in general...I think whatever makes you happy is the only thing that matters. Rather it be surrounded by many dolls (which I am starting to is likely not for me), or just a few (...maybe a little more than just a few), what is important is that the owner is satisfied with their choice. :)

13. It totally depends on the owner xD some are totally comfortable with several dozens of dolls, some are overwhelmed when they go near ten...
      As for me, I've always thought I was the one to be happy with a looooot of dolls, and I'm starting to thing that I was wrong... I don't have yet too much dolls, I'm very comfortable with the number I have (currently five) but don't want to get a lot more. There's three more dolls I'd really like to take home next year, andI think it will actually be quite a lot. Good thing for me I don't earn a huge amount of money ! That way I don't buy new dolls too often, and never if the ones I already have are not "complete", with a decent amount of clothes.

14. I have no limit but I wouldn't deny the fact I have too many dolls. I think it doesn't ever matter how many dolls you have. Unless you can't live in your home because of it. Then I would think it is too many dolls. Buy a bigger home is an option too. :)

15. personally I'd like to have no more than ~10 dolls or so? I would make exceptions if I were basing dolls off existing characters, but for ocs I would not want to have a bunch of dolls lying around that I can't really take care of because I have too many. And lately my policy for buying dolls is to 100% complete a character (wig, clothes, faceup etc) before buying a new doll or head (unless it's at a really good price!!).

16. I think That i never want more than 6 dolls. I want each of them to have enough attention in my livingroom. so for me more than 6 dolls Will be to much

17. No more than 3 or 4 for me. Any more than that, and I can see myself getting very overwhelmed. One doll at a time for me!

18. For me, there's not a number limit. It's more about each doll having a special place in my heart, enough so that I want to give them attention. If I reached the point where some of them no longer felt special or I didn't have the desire to care for and photograph them, then it would be time to rehome those.

19. Personally I get attached to one doll and buy tons and tons of clothes for that one while the others fall to the wayside, so that probably means I should really only have a few... but there's so many great dolls out there