1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

When do you NOT buy a (limited) doll? What are your principles/critical stance?

Aug 20, 2009

1. I like limiteds... not because they are limiteds, but because I like the dolls themselves and they just happen to be limited. I have nothing against them on principal. To me, they are just like buying ANY sort of doll: You have to have the money. You have to decide you really, really like the doll and think it's worth spending the money on--Period.

You should not buy JUST because it's limited. Tons of dolls are hard to get. You just have to decide on what you like most of all (and what you can afford) and never mind the rest.

I've waited until the last possible moment to buy most of my limiteds... I hate having to rush a decision! I have not bought several during their original availability period because of hesitation. The thing is, that usually you can sell your doll if you have second thoughts later--but I hate selling, so I really try to make sure I know I want the doll first!

I don't think dolls are more special because they are limited. There are standards that end up being more rare than some limiteds, after all... and faceups and mods can make anything unique. It all comes down to just really liking everything about a certain doll and being sure you want it and can afford it... I don't think I need to know about a doll for years before making a decision, however! I've been very happy with the decisions I've made to purchase.

2. When IH put up the chance to get the SE Akando who was realskin, I was struck. It was expected he would be perfect as one of my dearest OC. That aside, the price tag, the fact that he wasn't planned, and the time limit all made me uncomfortable. I thought about the practicality, if I could afford it, how plausible layaway was etc, and then decided to buy him on the last day. When he arrived he was beautiful but he was just too heavy, large and different looking from my DELF. Put him up for sale within 48 hours of having him! He's at a new home now and I've neither lost nor made any money. Still, my usual policy on LE is they're wants not needs, if it's not financially smart and I'm rushing, I'd rather risk never getting my hands on that doll.

3. The thing that I've wanted the most since I started shopping was Soom's Bygg and Beyla set. Sadly, I just can't afford them. So that's when I wouldn't buy a limited. Anytime at the moment! However, someday, I'll have dolls that beautiful because I'm willing to work for them.

4. Sorry about the double post, it didn't look like it went through somehow.

5. I agree with bunnydots. If I like it and I can afford it, I buy it and I do consider resale value as well.

With that said, I've missed limiteds because the timing was poor and bought limiteds that I've later resold because they weren't exactly what I was looking for. There is that feeling of being rushed which I don't love, but I'll deal with to find the right dolls.

Plus, so many companies are making the extras (outfits, special resin pieces, wigs, eyes, etc.) optionable so limiteds are much more affordable. :) And then there are marketplace splits. There are dolls I probably wouldn't have if it weren't for them.

6. For most limiteds I make sure that I am very aware of the time limit (or the number if its limited by quantity and not time) so that I don't take too long to decide. Then I save some pictures (ones I like and ones I don't just for comparison) on my computer and look at them every once in a while when I have a bit of spare time. I'll even save one as my desktop background. Usually, just looking at them repeatedly will weed out passing crushes from real loves. ^^
      On top of that I have to first determine if it will fit any characters I already have but don't have dolls for. If not, then I have to determine if I find that it inspires me enough to write a new story. It has happened to me before. So far, not with limited dolls but it easily could I'm sure.

It's just kind of a process I have. ^^

7. I quickly decided on a limited thinking it would be available for a short time. I loved how it looked on the company's site and developed plans for the doll. The plans didn't work at all for some reason, and dolly is off to a new home. No more limiteds because of this. The method is to love a doll for a long time before purchasing it.

8. I try not to let myself be caught up in the fever and hold myself back through those first few days of OMG.
      I've found that I'm definitely a lot better at this than a few years ago; I've followed the Soom monthlies since Beryl and I'll admit with every MD I was flapping around trying to decide if I wanted it or not. For some of them it was just for the sake of buying one that I deliberated over it.
      I caved on Heliot after being desperate for a Sard (and not ordering him at the time) and found that I despised him and ended up selling him. After that I didn't go near ordering Soom MDs until Chrom where I couldn't resist a cheeky split for his firelord head.
      Through all the Soom releases the only three I regret not pouncing on were the full Chrom, Sard and Amber. I now have one of the normal skin Sards, a body on the way for my Chrom head (his claws will have to wait) and Amber...well, I can live without her for a while longer. I suppose I like buying my MDs second hand more than fresh from Soom. Kinda makes it feel like a hard won battle to bring them home you know?

However with Soom Idrial, I just knew that she had to be mine. Yes I could have gotten her from the second hand market but I loved her as a fullset. I loved her clothes, face, wig...everything. So in that instance, I just knew that this beautiful limited fairy had to be mine :aheartbea

Plus there is also the, admittedly grim, thought of the resale value. If I get limiteds I like instead of spending money on regular dolls I like then if I don't like them later on or need money they are easier to sell. This sounds terrible but I suppose is also a practical consideration when buying a doll because we all know that things don't necessarily go according to plan.

9. I don't buy limited dolls because they're ridiculously expensive, I don't have that kind of money and more often than not I don't end up loving the doll. I've only ever fallen for one limited doll after... let's see... three years in this hobby? Yeah. So I don't think that's gonna change anytime soon.

Plus I have a lot of other dolls I want that aren't limited, are cheaper, and I know I'm gonna really enjoy having them around.

10. Buying Limited dolls are the same as buying normal dolls for me. If I'm drawn in instantly and start to plan for him/her, then I know I have to purchase them. It doesn't actually happen that often, which I am grateful for. While it is true that there are lots of dolls that I see (many limited dolls) and think it would be wonderful to own, I'm content to let them slide by. Currently, I only have dolly regret for one doll, which is SOOM Chalco. I had to stop myself from buying him, which I very much regret, as previously stated.

Anyway, back to the topic of limited dolls. If I like - no LOVE - the mold, then I might consider. However, if I do not have the funds, I will not even consider it.

11. For me it's all about the face and depending on the teaser, I can tell immediately if the doll is for me if it's from a company whose dolls I already have. For example, I was absolutely sure about both Eva and Felix from the teaser and further pictures just confirmed in initial impression. Since I already have an SID male and female and love their bodies as well as Iple's real skin resin, it was a no brainer for me. Plus, Iple like Soom allows you the option of buying the outfit, wig, shoes, etc. so it's not like you're be stuck with an expensive outfit you won't ever use. And actually it's cheaper with Iple to buy the limited than wait and do their custom service plus you can do layaway with their limited's which you can't with their custom service.

Now with a new company, I'd want to wait to see the whole doll from many angles and pictures of the nude body before hitting that buy button.

12. Usually i only buy a doll when i'm really sure that i want it.
      But in August i bought a head spontanously...
      It's somehow hard to get warm with him =/

The Doll should also be reachable for me, i would never buy a 1000$ Doll just when it's "Nice" it should be a real dreamdoll, but i'm sure i have some of my dreamdolls here and don't have to effort such a high amount of money XD'

so.. i would never buy a doll just because it's some kind of nice or pretty..

13. For me, when it comes to Limiteds, very few things actually grab me. I won't buy an LE for a limited outfit, nor for limited body parts. I make my own outfits for my gang, and limited parts usually end up easy enough to get on in the MP. What grabs me for limited runs is usually the skin colour. I don't like Grey skin, but I always take a second look at Tan. If it's a nice tan, from a company that doesn't usually produce tan sculpts, I totally go for that. It does sometimes create an impulse to buy- for example, Soom's Aphan was one of the only Soom sculpts that has ever actually appealed to me. I thought I'd love to get him, and I loved their bronze tan for him. I went through my little checklist before I started adding him to my wishlist first though:

1. Money: do I have it? Can I get it in time? Will I regret it? With Aphan I couldn't answer any of these so that was an immediate strike against him, but for my LE Musedoll Re-che I knew I could work it out.

2. Aesthetic: is this a big departure from the look I like for my Collection? It definitely was for Aphan, but Re-che would fit right in with my fairly small-headed, realistic bunch

3. Commitment: how committed am I feeling to saving up for this doll? Do I think I'm actually going to love it when I get it, or will it be instant regret/inability to bond? This is the most important one next to money. If I don't see a character jump out at me for a sculpt, then I'm not going to be getting it any time soon.

14. The line, for me, is if I have the money or not, and how much have I already spent on myself. Having the money is almost the entire deciding factor, but not so much as whether or not I've already spent money on doll stuff, or a whole doll in general. Soom and Iplehouse have beautiful limiteds, and in the case of falling in love with their sculpts, I figure I can always get them on the Marketplace. Someone, somewhere, will have buyer's remorse, or have financial difficulty, or something. So the sculpt I love will eventually end up on the Marketplace. I just have to have the patience to wait for however long it takes.

15. I am by nature an impulse buyer, and I like limited stuff, so I have to be a bit careful. It does come down to a bit of a risk - will the doll be hard to get a hold of later? I've found I'm reluctant to pay large markups on the aftermarket. Just how limited is he? More importantly, is he perfect for a character of mine?

I just jumped on an LE that I think I'm going to be glad I did - Crobidoll's Zack. He's not a fullset but he is an LE that they say they won't release again; he also looks like he'll work very well for a character of mine, and I wanted another M-line body around anyways. The MNF Kyle fullset I ordered I was able to do on layaway and for once I wanted most of what comes with him; plus there are event goodies coming with him.

I wouldn't order an LE if there was zero way to pay for him, or if I had a reasonable expectation of being able to get him later on (like Iplehouse with their basic releases/CDS). But generally speaking I go with my emotional response to the LE. If I OMGHAVETOHAVE him, I'll try for him. I have a poor record of actually getting LEs I'm excited about :sweat.

Oh, and in defense of people who are pretty sure they're going to go, say, for Soom MDs before seeing the complete doll: If they're not in it for the fantasy parts, they'll already know what the body looks like. The head sculpt's the bit that'll decide things. This is even more the case for non-fantasy dolls.

16. I have been waiting for nearly a year to buy my first doll, and I know exactly what I want (from Soul Doll)... but when I went to get her, they have a new limited-edition tan Soul Kid doll who I am slowly falling in love with. I am thinking I probably won't get her, because I have wanted the other doll as my first doll for so long, and I really don't have the money to buy both, or even to buy the le now and the other one later. I feel like I am going to regret not getting her, though, but I have to be practical!

17. For me, I was extra hesitant about ordering Soom's Idrial because my first two dolls haven't even arrived yet! The fact that she was limited definitely pushed me to do it, because it was one of those moments where you look at something and it just calls to you and begs you to buy it :lol: I reassured myself with the thought that because she is limited, if I do end up regretting it, it probably won't be too difficult to sell her to someone who is unable to get her this first time around. But I don't see that happening at all :) I think, though, that if I had just sort of liked her, I wouldn't impulsively buy her because she was limited—for anything I buy, it's something I love and would buy regardless of its stock quantity. Ordinarily, I sit around and ponder expensive things for a month or so, so the only difference here is that I made my decision in four days instead!

18. Good point - I've struggled with this in the past and have racked up an impressive credit card debt.

My solution is no credit card and my husband (who is very good with money and budgeting) - this pretty much removes all impulse buying :)

I also hate the rushed decisions we have to make to get some dolls, because I don't always love the dolls when I first see them and it takes time (years sometimes). Or sometimes I get overly excited about a doll only to receive her and not love her/him.

I rarely have money to buy a doll when I first see her, I usually need to sell some stuff off in order to make the money and this means I miss out quite often.

But basically - yeah, no credit card :) And my husband hates this hobby so to buy a doll using our money literally requires begging, crying and tantrums :)

19. I fell in love with DollZone's Chinese dragon doll. I wanted one, but would not pay $600 for one, I thought it over more than once-I was a flip-flopper. I loved my DollZone Leo and Luna, adored them, dragged them everywhere. More DollZone could only be an early birthday present! I already knew I loved the size, and I had wigs and eyes in abundance.

I went over and over it every time I saw one. I waited, and later found one on ebay recently and snapped him up.

I got him in today and immediately regretted my purchase, since I love to drag my dolls around with me, take them outside, and generally disregard a lot of the passive maintenance in small/sane ways. He's blushed and beautiful, perfectly made, but delicate as all hell....I fear breaking him, destroying his blushing, chipping his little resin fins or ridges. It would break my heart to ruin him, and I do not have the willpower to sit him on a shelf

20. It's funny I just mentioned my stance on this in another thread but kind of skirted round the issue a bit for want of staying on topic, so I guess I'll expand upon it here. I've only been fully 'into' the hobby since about July, when I finally committed to the idea of actually owning a bjd and had the funds. I bought a basic Soom doll after looking at hundreds of sculpts, and then Epidos was released very quickly afterwards. None of the previous MDs really appealed to me for one reason or another and I'm not really into fantasy parts or unusual resin colours, even WS, but I just happen to love horses and centaurs and unicorns and carousels and everything inbetween! Thus, I am living the dream and finally owning a pony.

What worries me is that I don't regret spending so much money at once, and as such I can see how easily people can get into the cycle of just buying LE after LE, regardless of whether or not they genuinely have the funds/resources. It seems like with all these dolls, limiteds especially, the actual impact of the price can get lost amongst the excitement, and it becomes acceptable to spend huge amounts of money regularly. I know this is common in a lot of hobbies (bikes for one, and also computers, games etc) when really it might be better to take a step back and say to yourself "Hey, £600 or whatever is a pretty serious outlay, I already have x amount of dolls, maybe I could instead spend the money on nice clothes, or a new TV, or a holiday" etc. I know I'm having to do this for the new Soom Minette centaur, I think she's cute, but wait, I don't like tinies or ws, and shouldn't I be buying some new ice skates soon? And what about that completely awesome centaur I'll already be receiving in the near future, who I need to buy wigs, eyes and fabric for, and materials for props, and possibly even a new camera lens? And so it goes on. At the end of the day it's whatever makes you happy, and whatever you have the resources for, be it enough money, space etc. You only live once.

Anyway, longpostislong, I think I've got over the 'honeymoon period' of initially discovering just how many dolls are available. I have a list of favourites but I don't intend to buy all of them, I definitely want to have a small group that I can thoroughly spoil : D I just don't have the space, and don't like having massive collections of things (exception: coloured pencils rofl) and just generally need to distribute funds evenly amongst several money-sucking hobbies.