1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

When do you NOT buy a (limited) doll? What are your principles/critical stance?

Aug 20, 2009

1. Yeah, it's good you stopped, then. I have to echo mosaicwolf here. Any not-original faceup, good or bad, on a sculpt, limited or not, does NOT in any way make the doll a bootleg and it's not just "offensive" to say such, it's downright libelous. Bootlegging is an illegal act, and faceups -- even the ugliest sharpie-marker faceups -- are not illegal. You're making the claim that changing a faceup is breaking the law, and to be uterly frank, that seriously makes me question your grip on reality.

2. It's ridiculous to claim that a non-company faceup (regardless of quality) makes the doll a bootleg. Quite aside from the fact that customisation is a part of the hobby accepted by both the companies and the consumers, even the most carefully preserved faceup can be damaged and then what is the owner supposed to do? Consider the doll ruined because it no longer has that perfect limited company faceup, or have it repainted to look even better by any one of the many talented artists in the doll community?

There are some incredible customisations around - from faceups to drastic modifications to reshape the resin itself. It would be a complete waste to see all of that gone in the name of stopping somebody else taking a sharpie to their brand new limited doll.

As for when I decide whether or not to buy a limited doll, generally even if I completely fall in love with a doll at first sight I give myself several days to see if the feeling wears off. There are plenty of dolls I get an instant 'wow, that's really pretty' reaction from that really have no place in my collection, and I just can't see myself owning. Then I make sure I actually have some way of affording it. Sometimes there are limiteds that I really love and still want now, but I couldn't realistically afford them. There have been times when I like a doll enough that even though I'm pushing it a little with the finances I still order it, but generally I try to place reason over the emotional response.

3. Well this is definitely not the hobby for you then. What you have just said is actually very offensive, especially to those who take in commissions via DoA. Customization is a key aspect to this hobby, and a bad custom may make people cringe but it is certainly not an illegal practice, unless you happen to be using stolen materials. Bootlegging is the illegal reproduction of a product and doing faceups certainly don't fall into that category. There are bad customs, yes, but there are just as many beautiful ones.

I have a doll that is LE 70 in the world. She is rare and hard to come by, and she still has her original faceup. Do I consider her a bootleg if, god forbid, her four-year-old faceup wore or chipped? Do I throw her away then, in that case? Most people would simply make the decision to have the faceup redone, as close as possible to the original if that was what they wanted.

If modifying a faceup or customizing your own doll was frowned upon by the companies, they would not sell blank heads and parts.

4. If people weren't supposed to customise these dolls, the companies wouldn't encourage it. Many doll sites sell the tools needed for customisation, from paintbrushes to epoxy and even dremels and dremel bits. The idea of purchasing a doll is to make the doll yours.

As for 'bad' faceups and 'bad' modifications - I'm the first to admit that I'm not yet all that skilled at faceupping and I'm much too terrified to even touch a dremel, let alone take it near one of my dollies. HOWEVER: I have noticed a marked improvement in the faceups that I have done as I have practiced and gotten better. I'm sure there are modders out there who feel the same way. Therefore, by denying us the opportunity to upskill ourselves in these processes you limit the hobby's capacity and potential immensely.

How does a doll sculpter learn to sculpt if you claim that they cannot be unique in their hobby and make mistakes? Very few of us are perfect first off, every time. People need to learn to be great, and by denying us the opportunity to learn, you create an industry that shoots itself in the foot. If there is no room for people to learn to do faceups, sculpting and modification, there will be no skills left to replace those that leave the industry. That sort of elitist attitude not only stifles creativity but is self-defeating.

ON to the topic of limiteds:
      I buy limiteds when they have some sort of fantasy part or other addition, along with a facial sculpt that I like. I don't buy limiteds for outfits or faceups or wigs as that limits my creativity as an owner to how I can shape a character. Creativity is the most important part of this hobby for me, and if I see potential in a doll, and have an image for that doll 'call' to me, (and if I have the funds) I'll buy the doll regardless of it's limited nature (or lack, thereof).

5. And to add to that fantastic point: why would companies offer the option to buy limited edition dolls blank in many cases if it was not expected that someone, somewhere, at some point, was going to give them a faceup? It just boggles the mind.

It further boggles that someone would let what other people are doing with their own property terrify them away from collecting BJDs in general, but it really does sound like that's for the best in this case.

6. Since enough people have already addressed stargazer_i's rather controversial post, I would risk repeating their arguments so I shall carry on with answering the TS's question.

It's two things for me, really. Firstly, how much I like the overall concept and aesthetics of the doll. I don't think I've been detered by size yet (in this case, more price than size) so I would say that as long as the limited doll/head is beautiful and unique, I'm sold. Next would be how much my bank account can stand that withdrawel of funds. There're limited fullset dolls that I would love to own, but I've so far restricted myself to blank limited heads. *coughs/stares at own sig* I don't think that I've bought entirely out of impulse before, since the when I do prowl around in search for new dolls/limiteds, it usually because I already have the intention of getting it for a planned character, or it's within the max quota for my crew size.

7. As someone who constantly falls for LEs, I always ask myself if I can afford it and seriously look at my finances over the next few months and the bills I know I'll have incoming and see if I can swing it. I really don't ever want to have more than two dolls on layaway at once, and I want to be able to save money every month as well. At this point too I have to consider my time. Suddenly many of the dolls I've had on order are starting to come in, and I'm realizing that there's tons of stuff I want to do for the girls I already have.

Also, this new Soom release of Adamelli and Shale has put things in perspective for me a bit. The other LEs I bought I had to mull over a while, but I knew as soon as I saw the teaser for the light twins I had to have one. Instant love. I don't think I felt that way about any of the others, though that's not to say I don't love the ones I have at home. Will say though, I'm not that worried about being able to sell them if I can't bond with them. Sometimes the long wait makes me second guess myself. So far though I've loved all three girls that have come home!

I may go on dolly buying hiatus after this, just to take the time to develop the resin people I have :) But if I fall in love with something the way I did with Adamelli, I'd go for it if I could make it work.

8. Just because BJD are customizable doesn't mean they have to be customized. I don't agree with those of you who are saying stargazer_i is in the wrong hobby. Everyone collects differently and for different reasons. I never really understood the negative attitude towards those who like to keep their dolls stock, or have "cabinet dolls".
      stargazer_i while I don't necessarily fully agree I think I can understand your point. I assume you mean is that you feel that a doll with a custom faceup might be more difficult to prove it's authenticity, not that the new faceup itself makes the doll a bootleg, right? You don't want to chance getting a limited doll that is a bootleg or had modifications so you will only buy one direct from the company. That's what I got out of it at least. Even though it's worded a bit...oddly.

edit:
      I guess I could answer the topic for myself. lol.
      I am not an impulse buyer and will talk myself out of buying limited dolls frequently.
      Anymore I will almost always wait for owner pics, or in Volks case pics to pop up on Y!J before I make a set decision. Even then I'm more likely to waffle over deciding if I "need" it than to get caught up in the moment of a limited ordering period and just buy it. I'm too afraid of spending a lot and then not liking the doll as much as I thought I would when it arrives. I find that when seeing "real" pictures the feeling of "wow I really am in love with this new doll" often fades a bit.

9. I, too, will ignore stargazer_i's post due to risking repeats. Everyone else pretty much said what I had to say.

I fall for LE's....ALL the time. I actually keep room on my credit card for them, but even though I have a credit card it doesn't give me the freedom to just BUY one. I have bills to pay and mouths to feed, as well. I really need to think about the LE before buying it. I collect my dolls for a reason, the reason is to fit into the world and stories I create. Just recently, Soom put up a male sprite and I was so excited because I found him to be exquisitely beautiful. And he was a male sprite! I never see those anywhere. I instantly fell in love, but I really had to think about it. After a few days, I realized I really had no room for him. He would be a doll I bought just because I thought he was lovely, and probably sit upon a shelf collecting dust simply because I had no character for him.

I find myself in situations like this all the time, and I always tell myself that someone else will come along that WILL have room for this lovely LE, and could provide a better home for him/her.

There's also layaway's to consider. Most companies offer them. If I find that if I really want a LE, [I actually just bought my first LE recently ^.^] layaway's are the way to go. Especially since the ones I want always seem to be over $400 XD

10. I do not fall for limited dolls just randomly, though most of the dolls I want are limited dolls because with limited dolls companies can take risks and I want specific kinds of things in dolls. I can go on Soom's website and appreciate how pretty the dolls are but in the end I only want a couple of them. And I know right away whether I want something or not. If I want something once, I will want it every other time I see it. Even when I own it, I'll still feel that same jolt of desire. The doll will never get 'old' to me. So when do I not buy a limited doll? When I don't feel that spark and when it doesn't fit my criterion for a doll.

11. This. I couldn't have said it better.

And so to answer the question....I find it hard saying no when I look at the doll and get palpitations. Yes, it happens to me. With or without it being limited. If I get the palpitations then I know the doll is coming home ONE WAY OR ANOTHER. Only twice did I sell a doll that I received and no longer felt this.....(both were LE's by the way).

12. I'm super lost. I really want to buy this lte. doll and was planning on checking here for opinions XD

Yes.
      Yes.
      Yes.

Economically it makes no sense. I really can't afford him. I will be able to afford him later nearing the layaway's final payment so I guess it could work? I still haven't spent over my limit on this hobby so I think I may allow myself "just this once"
      I don't really have a character for him, but I'm a little relieved about that. The two BJDs I've bought so far have had their whole life stories written before purchase. Having him would allow me to develope the story as it comes not have it set in stone already.
      A temporary crush I forget about.
      Really in love with the doll? Even weeks later I still look it up.
      What really sells me is his resin color, it's so unique.

Pros of buying:
      + I wouldn't be going over my limit
      + He is one of 30 world wide. This is my only chance because ones like him escalate crazily in price
      + I will be able to afford it
      + I want a kind of fantasy doll.
      + I have never seen his resin color anywhere before
      + He is perfectttt (seriously, I adore his every aspect, he even has teeth! Which I really want on a BJD)
      Cons of buying:
      - Spending more money on dolls
      - I have never dealt with unique resin colors before
      - From this I understand he will have seamlines?
      - And possibly splotchyness
      - My 2nd guy doll (I don't want to be one of these owners that only has guy dolls)
      - Another MSD... (I can barely find room for 1!)
      [I guess for some people they can't buy another one when it breaks or ruins? I wouldn't do that anyway, it breaks, it breaks, the character's dead]

I'm very much decided on buying him. I'm waiting to hear back from the company on how many they have left before I make my order (to see if I've got a while or not), so I'm gonna lurk around here and see if I can be convinced I shouldn't XD

---x----
      I realized I just listed my cons.

I think people don't buy limited because:
      - they're afraid it's irreplaceable if damaged
      - they're afraid of modding maybe?
      -
      another limited from another company will come out
      - they're afraid they like it only because it's limited, not because of the actual sculpt

13. This is so true.

As for the question, I will pass on a limited if I have no true interest in the sculpt. I will also pass if the cost is too much at the time. Unless the sculpt could really fit into my collection, or I've been waiting for a doll like it...I will probably pass. Also if I had to stick to having the doll in the LE outfit, eyes, wigs and even have the blushing/faceup as the default...I would probably not own a lot of the limited dolls that I have because not all of the LE stuff is to my liking.

14. If you didn't understand the post you shouldn't have commented. I don't care less whether people want cabinet babies. She's accusing anyone who doesn't want one a bootlegger, and that is what everyone is annoyed about.

15. Limited dolls can be expensive since they come in full set and have limited time (depending on which company you are ordering) to think and decide if I really or do I really need or love that doll or even falls head over heels for that doll x3. Most of the time they are usually sold out but there are some very nice ones that I would consider but they are gone (sadly). I tend to to go for basic dolls (with face up added) and go from there because sometimes the doll I wanted to look doesn't exactly equal to what he/she suppose to look like in the pictures..so it could be a waste to spend the extra money on the limited doll since the clothing may not match what I imagine or even the concept/idea I had in mind. I like to go wig, clothe and shoe shopping ^^. If there is one particular limited doll that draws me in like a chain reaction...well yeah I would likely to buy one (it's a rare case for me though).

16. Echoing and adding to this.

My dolls sit on shelves as 'cabinet babies' 98% of the time and I have my share of 'sits there on a shelf fullset in original form' dolls. That doesn't make the dolls I have I've bought blank to do faceups on myself or commission something other than what the company envisioned from another artist bootlegs, end of story.

The post didn't say it made original fullsets too hard to find. It mentioned giving up the hobby due to not liking what other people do with their dolls -- not hers, their own -- and slinging a very nasty accusation at those who don't collect the way she does. That isn't the people objecting to her post hating her style of collecting and none have said there's anything wrong with it, that's her not accepting anyone else's but her own and people responding to that; your perception appears to be quite backward.

17. I didn't fully understand the post. That's why I commented.

What I felt the person meant is that they were replying to the prompt saying they will only buy dolls direct from the company and wouldn't buy a modified one because they don't agree with it.
      People were saying if someone doesn't agree with modifying then they don't belong in the hobby. I don't think that is necessarily true.

I was trying to say that though I don't not agree that modifying is bootlegging, (and asking if maybe that was not quite what they meant by that comment because I don't understand why someone would make that sort of accusation)
      I can understand that from the standpoint of someone who only collects "mint" dolls, why they would only buy direct from the company.

Maybe my perception of it is a bit different.
      Does that make more sense though? :sweat

18. They are still saying that they refuse to collect anymore resin dolls because they consider owner faceups to be bootlegs. They aren't really stating that they only want company faceups, just calling out that they don't want anymore dolls because so many owners do their own or commission faceups for their limiteds.

I don't know, I think that if the company didn't want people to do their own thing, they would say so.

19. I have on order a Limited Dreamingdoll Lovely Sally. She was limited to a certain time period. She is a fullset I saw and immediately fell in love with. However she cost $700 or so, and that's just a bit too expensive for me! Especially since I also saw another Dreamingdoll doll (Molly) who I also really liked and who is also limited to 50 dolls world wide.

Then I saw her on sale at Angeldolls.
      So I bought her.
      The day before she would no longer be sold.
      I also got Molly.
      Both at a reduced price.
      I think it was worth it although I will be paying the layaway for the next year. I like them because their fullsets are very pretty, their faces look nice with and without faceup, and they fit certain characters I had in mind at that time.

I hope by the time I have finished paying for them and they arrive I will still like them as much as I do now. Occasionally I think that it was a bit of an impulse buy, since I had only spent about a week thinking about Sally, and Molly really was a last minute decision, but I think that if I hadn't gotten them, I would have regretted it. And I would probably have obsessed about them for aaages after, and not have been satisfied with any other dolls.

Since I don't really have any fixed rules on buying BJD's (like only wanting dolls in a certain size or colour or gender) I have decided to limit myself to 8 dolls at a time. I currently have four on order, and am going to get two more within the next two years. However that still leaves me with the possibility of getting two dolls on whim, as long as I can afford them.

I tend to think of how they fit in with the other dolls I have on order. And I list my pros and cons. (What I really like about that specific doll, which other dolls have that, is it similar to other dolls in any other way.)
      And then I listen to my gut. It tends to want things that are good. :)

I am still waiting for my first doll, and so I can put down urges by telling myself that after I get my first doll I might calm down a bit and spend time getting to know her, and then if I still really want the doll I was looking at before, limited or not, either the doll will be sold out and it was not meant to be, or she will still be there and I won't like her that much any more or she will still be available and I will still like her and then I will order her.
      And typing "the doll" for the generic term just got a bit too much for me! :)

A mixture! Recently economy has been raising it's head, so I have put a final date on any future orders. As soon as all of the four dolls I currently have on order are here, then I will look at new ones.

I copy the images onto a word document, print it out and carry it around in a pocket with me for a day or two. If I like it every single time I look at it, and I look at it often, then it is love. If I occasionally can point out things that really bother me or I forget about the paper, it is temporary.

Yeah I don't. I have just pulled a full stop to not buy any more. :) But I can spend the time that I do not buy by listing which will be my next purchases.

20. My view is very simple: if it's available now, and I want it but can't get it now -- there will always be ways of getting it later. Always, without fail. And this doesn't just apply to dolls limited or not, but most material/consumer goods.

I used to collect limited editions and rare books long before I came into BJDs, and I stalked eBay and rare book dealers for months, if not years, to find a particular edition of a book I really wanted. It sure taught me patience and delayed gratification, but I've ALWAYS gotten what I wanted in the end for the price I was willing to pay (sometimes much cheaper too!), because I waited long enough and watched hard enough in the right places.
      Dolls are just like rare books (just made of different material and more expensive), so I ask the same questions:

(a) is it available right now, be it new or second-hand, limited or not?
      (b) do I want it? (and I evaluate how much I like the sculpt, etc)
      (c) do I want it enough to pay the asking price?
      (d) am I able to pay the asking price right now? (and I evaluate my financial situation)

If all four criteria check out -- I'll jump right now and it'll be mine! If not... then I keep waiting, until all criteria are met.

Hmmm, looking at my list, the only criteria that I have no control over is Is the doll available now? Frankly, that doesn't bother me in the least. But in the meantime, I have some control over (b), (c) and (d), and they are always changing anyway. Sometimes my interest in a sculpt was a flash in the pan anyway. And if I like a doll, but am not willing to pay the new or aftermarket prices... I guess I don't like it so much either, so let's get on with life and be content with looking at photos. Sure makes life easier!

I really dislike being hurried into purchases, and prefer to sit on things until I'm very certain of my decision. So my hurried purchase of Soom MD Pel during her order period made me antsy, but all my criteria checked out at the time. I just didn't enjoy making all those decisions at short notice. (Okay, okay, it was impulse buy... shoot me. :XD: Still waiting to find out if I'd made a good choice!) On the other hand, just to show that it pays to wait and watch and put up a WTB thread, I recently had a great opportunity to buy a Dollstown sculpt that has been on my wishlist for ages -- and get free shipping too!

So I don't lose sleep over limited order periods. I have no problems waiting and watching the MP. It doesn't matter that I may end up paying more for that limited than if I bought it new from the company. I'd rather pay more for something I'm certain that I want, than pay less for something I end up not wanting, and be saddled with both wasted money and unwanted goods.