1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

When do you prefer to think of a character?

Nov 22, 2007

?
  1. Before actually getting the Doll.

2. After getting the Doll.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. I'm searching with a character in mind. @_@ But I have so many characters... Though sometimes my characters' appearances change because I like a certain doll. One of my characters started looking more like Dollmore Hwi Ki as I drew her... So I guess it is a little back-and-forth.

2. Understandable.

I'd love to have a doll of my character, Faux, but I'd have to look VERY hard for a sculpt for him and I'd probably not like it outside of his character.

3. : D;; I try to do characters in order, but if I see a doll and go "D: OMG NEED" but don't have a character, I tend to go with that. XD;

>w>; Then again Fuu arrived without a character and he was my first...

4. I got Elena because I loved her sculpt so very much - I didn't really have a character planned out for her and I still don't ^^; I still don't even have a name for her! When I saw Claire a character immediatly sprung up in my head surrounding her, and I liked it so much I got her. The next two molds I plan to get have characters based off of them. So I guess none of my dolls are based off pre-existing characters, I just seem to create the characters around them ^^

5. I usually have the characters whom I'd like to doll-ify in mind beforehand, and then when I see a sculpt that I really love, I just go with the character that I feel suits that sculpt best. So far I've been fine with it, and for the most part I've been able to match up some of my characters pretty well. :>

6. i definitel didnt have a character in mind for demitrius when he arrived, but then it sort of came to me, and now as i go if theres a doll i really really want ill create a character for them , since im still just starting with the characters its easy and it seems like theres a spot for each one.

7. I kinda don't have a particular order, I just happen to one day say, "HOLY EFFING ESS!!! THAT LOOKS LIKE [Insert Character Name Here] ", after that I take a look at the price and availability, and finally add it to the list of dolls I plan to get, then work on bringing each one home in order. :)

8. Well my girl was bought simply because I've always admired Lishe. She has no character really, we're still bonding.

All my OCs are monsters, so it's not so easy to make them into dolls xD

So I guess, it's doll first, personality later.

9. For me it totally depends on the doll. My first doll I didn't have any specific character in mind for intially, and then all of sudden who he was popped into my head about a month after I order him, when I was still waiting for him to be shipped. My second doll... I knew his sculpt first, his character second - but still all before he arrived. The next doll I get, IF I get another, will hopefully be a character I know little about, besides her familial relations and her physical appearance. :sweat

10. I do a little of both. I see a doll I like and then I make them one of my characters. This is an amusing way to do it, as I notice that the dolls never really fit what I had in mind for the character.

11. I looked for a doll I liked, which then turned out to be one of my oldest characters, which is now requiring a body change. @-@;;;

12. I just see a doll I really really like and as soon as I decide to get her (it's always girls for some reason) her personallety starts to develop.

Both the two dolls I own are pretty new so there's still a lot I don't know about them. And I'm waiting for two more - one will be here next week and the other one will be here some time in May.

Dustbunnie

13. I write a lot and there are quite a few characters from my stories that would work for dolls in the future. When I bought my first doll, a Dollshe Bernard, I didn't really think to make him one of my characters but recently I decided to change him into a character from a comic storyline that I'm now working on.

I think sometimes it's easier to come up with the characters first and then buy the dolls but sometimes there are those dolls you just have to own...then you just have to make them fit in, ha ha. I want a Pipos Bao but he won't fit into any of my story lines.

14. My first doll's personality is already planned. He just has a certain look about him, that makes me associate his personality with his face. I don't think that I'll do that with my other dolls-- if I get others. It's just that, this has alot of emotions poured into him.

15. Mostly before I get the doll. I usually buy dolls because I develop some attachment to them and think that they make interesting characters. It's not like I have some pre-existing characters that I'm trying to find fitting dolls to.

Sometimes I just click with a doll at first glance "oh she's an interesting girl!" and then I have to buy her because I'd like to have that certain character amongst my crew.

For me a doll's character is something that just happens :lol:

16. For me, the character I wanted to portray was the reason for me even GETTING a doll in the first place. Otherwise, I probably never would have thought of it. I mean I always liked BJDs, but I never considered spending the money on one until I really wanted a doll of a certain character.

17. Well I have characters I'd like to put in a doll, but with Sid, I kind of just let her come as is and see how it turned out. Because once she got here I found out that there was no way she was going to sit around in florals and cutesy stuff. T-T but oh well, I have a little decora girl now. ^^"

18. Hard to select between the two options. For me I think it is half and half. While stalking a doll I end up with some idea of what type of faceup I will want and a general idea of what her character will be. Then that gets either refined further or in some cases greatly changed after she arrives.

Carolyn

19. Its hard for me to choose...each doll I want for different reasons and created the characters differently....
      Anathema came and I had no idea what to do with her. I didn't know what she would be like or what to expect since she was my first.
      Carmine however I ended up creating his character based on the doll I wanted and now I'm finally getting the doll!
      My next doll however....I was just looking around at sites and stumbled across AR Diana and I liked her face a lot. Then I realized she was the PERFECT head mold for one of my favorite characters from my own projects and so I have to have her. I had no intention of getting dolls based on existing characters, but after seeing that head...I can't help it....

20. hm, i think for me it's both. i was really surprised with my unoa faceplates, i thought they'd be totally different personalities than what they turned out to be (is that odd for me to say? that i didn't have a choice in the matter?). but i just saw a doll recently and i swear he told me who he was straight through the computer screen so i had to get him lol!