1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

When do you prefer to think of a character?

Nov 22, 2007

?
  1. Before actually getting the Doll.

2. After getting the Doll.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. When I get my doll I'm going to let him tell me who he is,

If that makes any sense?

So yes, the name and everything will come after Bory arrives. :D

2. I already have all sorts of data on her and she hasn't even been ordered yet. I plan to have all sorts of stuff. Including those glass eyes that follow you wherever you look at her from. In green.
      So yeah. I find it better to have an idea for the doll before you get it. But that's just my own way of thinking.

3. While getting the doll ;)
      I'm waiting at the moment and I've got some ideas... the name for example.
      But it all could change in the moment I see her.

4. I have a lot of characters that I already write about, so I try to think of which character the doll will be before I buy them, before they ever arrive. But sometimes it doesn't work out quite the way I plan. Sometimes when they arrive they are a little different from what I expected and so my plans for them change. :lol:

5. I usually pick out a name and then just wait for it to come along with the doll.

6. I say after for me. I had tried to plan my Quinn's personality, but when he got here, it was all wrong. So, now he needs a new face-up and he just has to settle in.

7. I prefer to create a character before I start saving for a doll, though I did only think of my current and only doll's character after I got him. ^^; I find that now, considering other dolls, I want them to have a character before I even start saving. So yeahh.

8. Well.. my first two dolls I kind of got without planning. Owen, and Bryer, even though Bryer had a character, he was a teenager/younger kid with Autism, I don't have the proper things for him, but now that he has his proper colored eyes, and If I plan on getting another MSD sized, then my plan can go out, cause he was supposed to be an older brother, then the KDF Bory would be Autistic instead. There characters aren't too developed.. But now with the Ryu and Miho re-release I have two well developed characters on the way.

9. I actually already have characters (based on rps and such). So I get the doll based on whether or not it fits one of my characters... I've tried to get a doll just for the sake of having it and coming up with a character after it arrived, but it just didn't work out :/

10. i've started considering the family tree for dolls i don't yet own, but i don't think i could tell their stories without them telling me once they arrive

11. I get so excited while waiting for a new doll, that I usually end up thinking up most of their character before they arrive. But I dont make it official until after they've arrived, when I'm able to see them live and more easily make those decisions. So I cant vote either way xD

12. I prefer to think about character before actually getting. But it's possible when doll will arrived at my home i'll see that doll has other character then i thought...

13. It makes me a little sad to see so many people selling dolls that 'didn't match the character I'd had in mind for them'.... I have a vague personality in mind while I'm shopping for dolls, but no set character. I have a DZ Yi now, and he has a soft face with a Mona Lisa smile. The idea is that my next doll will have an edgier face--a Mo or a Hid, with potential for a devilish faceup. But I would hate to waste money on a doll to fill the character of Sir Wolf Dieter Gunsche, the militant half-vampire half-demon half-basketball who is destined to bring an end to Hostess cupcakes and San Rio stickers, with the help of his faithful stuffed penguin. That's just silly, determining who your little person will be before you see them.... New dolls are like face-ups. You should go into a purchase with a general expectation, but leave room for a pleasant surprise when s/he arrives home.

14. Well I actually based SeNii off of an already exsisting character of mine--Seraphinius. But I got him and found his personality to be quite different from Seraphinius', so now he gets pissy when I call him that stating it's too "obnoxiously long and old sounding." >< Ah well, I love the personality my boy has, and I still enjoy writing in my story with Seraphinius. ^^

But I have planned out characters for my future dolls...whether they stick or not, I'll still have the fun of planning them out and passionately using them for stories ^^;;

15. I prefer to think of the character after the doll, because I find that my character plans ALWAYS change when I actually get the doll. Isaac changed a lot because of that, but I waited for Anthony and Hotaru's characters to reveal themselves.

16. I was wondering what is the general idea when you collect your BJD as far as what has worked best for you. Having an idea for a Character then finding the doll? Or finding the doll and creating a Character? I have found when I try the first I have been disappointed and end up not bonding with the doll. But when I find a doll and develop their own unique character it works out so much better. I guess it's being unique or original that drew me to BJD in the first place, so to do it any other way just doesn't work.

But what works for you have you found? I am adding a poll to find out at a glance what the top pick is, but would also like to hear from you why your choice works for you. I looked using a search to see if anyone else worded it this way, but didn't see as such. If some one has I apologize for repeating a original topic.

17. I've done both and it's worked very well for me either way. I've had very good luck finding dolls that fit my characters (they're my own original characters), and have never had bonding problems--I know them so well already. They're like old friends, and once they have bodies I can interact with them in a whole new way. It's even helped me to develop some of what started out as more minor characters better.

However, it can be fun to just buy a doll with nothing already attached to it too--the last doll I bought was like that, and I found out her character and story pretty quickly.

18. Well, I don't have original characters that I want to base my dolls after, but when I was waiting for Casey I was trying to figure out a set personality for him based on the default company pictures. Of course when he came he was the complete opposite of what I thought he was gonna be. :P
      So I think I'm gonna continue with making characters to fit the doll.

Edit: Oops! I accidentally used my friend's account. This is actually Devu, not Kereneko. Sorry. ^-^;

19. For me in depends. I just got my first girl, and I knew NOTHING about her. I still know nothing. Aside from the fact that she's shy, she's a good listener, peaceful, and very attentive. But sometimes she does let her smiles slip.
      But, well, I knew nothing about the doll I was getting. As soon as I pulled her out of the box, her reality was just there.

Though, I do have some ideas for two of the dolls I plan on getting. Though their "characters" will probably change as soon as I see them.

So I guess I'll just say I think of a character after I obtain the doll, when they tell me about themselves. So to speak, I guess.

20. I just wanted to say thanks for the great feedback on this thread. Some how my first post and the poll questions didn't end up together like I had hoped. My post which should have had the #1 slot was instead put some how all the way to #96! You can see by the time and date it should have been #1. This was my first topic with a poll and unlike the others site I belong to this time and here it didn't work. I am glad you all knew what to do as far as actually writing how and what you do. Thanks again this has to be one of my 3 top hitters. Hugs, MK

Hold the phone! Now I see something I didn't notice. My poll was added to someone else's post. I knew it got moved but it was still in General Discussion. So it seems I was hijacked! I had my poll topic title changed, and then inserted in someone else's post on a similar idea. I would have felt better if someone had told me, the mods and gave me the option to just remove the poll all together as it makes it seem less my idea now. I did a search so if this was along lines of someone else's I am sorry. But you got to admit some of these posts were done like 2+ years ago and sometimes we need fresh ideas but some are hard to come up with if your going to nit pick. Oh well guess from now on I will just reply no more topics starting for me.