1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

When do you prefer to think of a character?

Nov 22, 2007

?
  1. Before actually getting the Doll.

2. After getting the Doll.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Most everyone has been a character first, that helps me pick a sculpt. So far only a scant few have truely arrived with no idea who they were. The Recalls were only a vauge idea until they arrived, Dorobo Joe was bought because he's the same body as Louis and Eloise came in a trade.

2. All my dolls are characters before ordering, and highly developed characters at that, so it's a real pain trying to find a sculpt that has the right 'feel' for each one. >_<" Sometimes, I'll order a doll, and they won't suit the character I intended them for and suddenly become another character, but that's pretty rare. I guess it's just because I'm so amazingly picky when it comes to that sort of thing, and a complete perfectionist. xD

In fact, for this one particular character, I had originally bought two dolls that I thought his personality would fit (A SooRi and JinWoo- who is now Ciel, so that worked out well in the end). He didn't work as either of them, and I nearly died. So then I thought, okay, last chance, let's order a Minimee! Yeah, that's how much the character influences the type of doll I will buy. xD

3. While I'm waiting for a doll to arrive, I cruise websites & DoA looking at different photos of that mold, while doign this I think of the pefect name & character for the doll! I then think of how the doll will fit into my current doll family and how I'll introduce him/her. It gives me something to look forward to even more!

4. For the most, the character is established before the doll, as I've seen once how disastrous owning a doll can be if it doesn't have a character. However....seeing it in real life is miles different from mere photographs...and in those early stages the character is liable to change :)

5. Tony's character comes to me little by little. Not too long ago, when I was looking at his hands, I realized he was a musician. A piano player at that. I also find him to be the type who just can't get the girl, and that's why he writes songs. My girl, however, hasn't even come in yet and I already know she'll be the quiet shy type who is very inquisitive.

6. When I decided to buy Finn, he didn't have any personality or anything set out at all! As I ordered and waited for him to arrive I began to develop a few ideas- largely refuted once he arrived! But then recently his backstory changed completely too, even though he's been around for a good few months.
      Thanks to him I already have ideas for my next bjd though, as a character is emerging from his story... xD

7. I guess a little bit of both.
      I try to find a doll that will match my ideal character for him and then when i get him/her i change it to suit the character better.

8. I always decide the character before actually getting one, but the image they gave me are always reverse from my imaginations lol
      for example, I wish my Papi is full of energy, cute and sweet, but after few days with her, I noticed that she is still cute and sweet, but shy and looks like she's going to cry at any minute (laugh)
      so I prefer after getting the doll

9. Well I didn't have a character chosen and created when I bought my doll, but while I was waiting for it to be shipped I spent my time creating his character to help pass the time. Although when he came, at first, he didn't really suit the characters personality, but with a bit of tweaking he now suits just fine. :)

10. Depends on the situation for me. My first doll was not based on any character of mine, but he just grabbed my attention so much that I had to get him, and now that I have him, I'm working on developing his character(and I have to say, it's been fun trying to experiment Ailin's personality). My twins that I am waiting on, on the other hand, both have their characters established already, and have had their characters established for years, so it can go both ways for me.

11. I would say both. I sort of had a vague character idea set out for my doll before I bought him and name picked out. Then after I got him he sort of evolved as I did the faceup and costumes. He's definitely become geekier, and more shy since I got him XD

12. It depends, I can imagine the character before choosing, or just in the moment I choose the doll, but as it happened with my first one, I can change my opinion having her on my arms xD

13. I always set some guidelines before I buy them, such as name, clothing style, a bit of their personality. Just some ideas.

Then I safe up money and buy the dolls.
      If not, I would end up with a ever going wishlist and also end up with dolls that don't have a character.

And when my doll, with pre-made chracter arrives, I don't mind to change some bits to the original idea.

14. Well, I like to get a doll simply because the sculpt appeals to me, and when I get said doll, it will gradually tell me who he/she is. For me having a character first would make it nigh impossible to ever find the right doll/sculpt for it. "Character first/doll later" feels like forcing a character on a doll instead of letting the doll's true personality come out. To me it's like having a baby and wishing for it to be an artist, but when it grows up turns out to be very good at math. So I choose your poll's second option. :)

15. after. I bought my megi with a story already planned, and now that I actually know his 'personality' I changed it completely.

16. When I got mine, I hadn't really thought of his background - only his name. After actually receiving him and settling on his name, somehow his name and face triggered an idea. That all somehow snowballed into his background story. His personality just kind of molded itself in over time, but I would say that the background story and name played a big part in figuring him out. :)

17. I prefer to have a character in mind when getting a new doll - in fact, I tend to plan dolls of existing characters I have already.
      I suppose, for me, it's a lot easier to plan ahead that way for how the doll will ultimately look and what they will need clothing and aesthetics wise. Minor changes are always inevitable, but I have a rather lot of OCs from current projects and I really can't see myself ever getting a doll and not knowing who it is going to be. ;)
      I actually tried to do that once and it didn't work... :sweat The doll turned into an existing character despite my best efforts. Lol.
      -V

18. I think up characters randomly. If i find a name I like, I'll make up a character to go along with.

I have about 9 characters now, and I only plan on getting dolls for the ones whose characters are properly thought out and perfect. So thats about 4 at the moment.

19. Oh my, everything about my boy was planned before I even ordered him :)

I had basic ideas about his look and "personality" before I started to look for a sculpt. I've heard it mentioned on here lots that the sculpts just sometimes jump out as being "the right one", and that is exactly what happened, but I did have the foundations laid first.

I am new to this hobby though, so it is entirely possible that I will do the "sculpt before story" thing as well :)

20. I created the characters before I knew these dolls existed then I gasped and said they are gorgeous, and can bring my characters to life. I have occasionally seen a doll i want but wouldn't have a character for, but most of the dolls I want I have a character matched to them.