1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

When does 1 more become too many?

Feb 4, 2010

1. In my case it's not "one too many", but more like the feeling of having a lot of dolls catching up later on. I buy one doll and then another one thinking "the more the merrier" and later on I realise I have so many dolls. :sweat

Do you ever pick favorites when it comes down to your dolls?
      Yes, but my favourites change so all dolls get some special attention now and then.

Do you find it fustrating to care for many dolls?
      Lots of dolls bring lots of stuff especially when they are of different sizes and they all need at least one wig and one pair of eyes, because I think it's sad to have a few bald and eyeless dolls in a box due to lack of doll stuff even when they can share. It's a bit of a hassle to store all doll stuff in a way I can easily find what I'm looking for.
      But the good part is, nobody cries or dies when I box up a few dolls to play with other dolls or none. That's the good part of the hobby. I don't have to do anything unles I want to.

How do you devide your time with your dolls?
      Usually I take one or two dolls to dress up for a photo shoot or work on one of my dolls that needs something (face-up, seam sanding, mods, clothes, wig, etc. There's always a doll that needs something to be done). When I get some new stuff in the mail I take the doll it's meant for out and see how it looks or if it fits. Usually I try new wigs on several dolls even if it's not their colour.

Do you ever neglect your doll for another "toy" or doll? Or just because they grew old and tiring?
      Yes, there was a while I liked my Nintendo DS more, but that one is collecting dust right now. My interest shift and change as a change of scenery is good, but if it's a nice hobby I'll always return to it.

What do you do with the dolls you can't bond with?
      I don't put much weight on bonding. If I like the doll, I like it. If I don't, it goes. I once had a doll that was brand new, but after six months I had barely touched it and I didn't think that would change. It's kind of silly to keep stuff that expensive and do nothing with it.
      Other dolls that are boxed up are taken out once in a while and I play with them for a bit. Just looking at them makes me happy even if they aren't always finished or complete.

In case you are interested in more stories about how people play with large numbers of dolls, you may want to take a look at this thread.

2. Do you ever pick favorites when it comes down to your dolls?

Oh yes, I definitely have my favorites

I am going on my 5th year in this particular hobby, and I have struggled with the "right" amount of bjds to have in my life. At present I have 6 bjds down from a high of 10 + floating heads. Too many dolls stress me out. Six slim minis is the perfect number for me at this time.

How do you divide your time with your dolls?
      With six it is easy. I usually redress either the boys, or the girls. I find it creative and relaxing. Then I get to enjoy looking at them. Sometimes I will set up vingettes with 3 or 4 of them, taking great care to pose them naturally. I want my crew to be well dressed and beautifully displayed--like works of art.

Do you ever neglect your doll for another "toy" or doll? Or just because they grew old and tiring?
      I wouldn't call it neglect, but life sometimes get in the way of my free time. I do have many different interests so I can easily compartmentalize this hobby. At stressful times in my life, I have boxed my bjds and packed them away until I am feeling right again.

I have many dolls leave. When I first started out with bjds, I really didn't know what I wanted: skin tone, size, company, dress. With time and experience I am more confident of my decisions. Recently I purchased a SD. He was lovely and I had renewed interest in buying new clothes, wigs, etc. But after awhile I rehomed him, and this reaffirmed my choice of MSDs.

On the downside, I am not looking to buy another bjd, or re-shell an existing doll. So I find myself continually searching for and buying clothes, wigs, and shoes. My bjds have a lot of clothes!:o

3. Do you ever pick favorites when it comes down to your dolls?

Ohhh just hazard a guess (points to siggy) ;) With over 50 dolls now (geez...) it would be very hard not to have favorites. But all of them were bought because they struck a chord with me, so here they are.

Sometimes I do. I have many things I'd like to do for/with them and only so many hours to play in. Many other boring grownup stuff responsibilities. And then I start feeling guilty for having so many. When that happens I think hard about all the time I've spent working in order to afford them, and usually the guilt goes away :)

Whoever comes to hand first gets to be glommed next. Or, if I have a particular project going on that doll will get lots of attention for awhile (I tend to have Frankendollies a lot because I just love modding and experimenting with them and so on). The dolls that were just perfect to start out with generally sit and absorb my admiration. :)

Several of my very first dolls haven't been touched in forever, but I still love them. Occasionally I find myself putting all of the doll stuff aside in favor of a different project or hobby for awhile and that's just fine. They don't mind; they're patient.

My daughters have adopted several of them (in exchange for housework chores, etc.) and others have been sold on. It takes a lot for me to give up though.

4. Do you ever pick favorites when it comes down to your dolls?
      I try not to, because then I tend to get attached to that doll only.

Nope, I only have two floating heads that will soon be completed, and my complete dolls tend to not need a lot of care. I love all my dolls, and want more, so it's not stressful at all.

After school and work, and sometimes homework I divide the remaining time I have to my dolls. Sometimes I get so busy I can't spend time with them. But then on the weekend there is always lots of time for me to spend with them.

Nope, all my dolls get time spent toward them, I don't neglect them unless I am busy with work or school.

I don't have any dolls I don't bond with, but I guess I'd try giving them a new style, and if that doesn't work I would sell them. I'd try to keep the doll until I really wanted it to have a new home.

5. Do you ever pick favorites when it comes down to your dolls?
      Yes and no. I love all of my dolls, and try to spend time with each, but when I tend to grab one of them when I go to my boyfriend's house, I tend to take Jane, my Kid Delf Bory, with me most often because she's the smallest.

It is, because I end up spending so much money on eyes and wigs that don't work out, and it takes forever for them to sell sometimes. Clothes are also hard to find, and I am still working on making my sewing skills better.

I just play with whichever doll suits my fancy at the time. Some certainly get played with more, but I do love all of them and I suppose that's what matters.

I wouldn't say neglect, but I do focus on the newest dolls usually. However, when I got my latest doll, a Rosette Fir, I like how she and my first doll looked together, so when I started having both of them around at once.

I find a way to make myself like them. Usually it's just a new look or outfit that is all that's necessary. :)

6. Do you ever pick favorites when it comes down to your dolls?
      No, at this time I have only one bjd, but do collect other dolls. At thistime my bjd is my favorite.
      I do find it frustrating, since I love to do photostories for my fashion dolls, and my bjd, it can get exhausting.
      definitely, sometimes I don't have alot of time and some dollies get neglected
      I have withdrawn from my miniature/dollhouse collecting in favor of doll collecting,simply because of room & space.
      usually I sell those dolls that I do not bond with, so the funds can be put towards the new incoming doll.

7. Do you ever pick favorites when it comes down to your dolls?
      Sure, though it can tend to change. I have a couple of boys who I just plain seem to prefer. Noble has been with me the longest and tends to get drug along to conventions the most. Kisten I just have this odd attachment to, even if I don't always play with him. And Aric is the most likely to get stuck watching sappy movies with me on the couch, or cuddling when I'm depressed. I think it has more to do with my level of attachment to the original character that the doll represents than anything. Though in Noble's case it may also be that he is large and easier to cuddle.

Finding places for them all to live is the truly difficult part. There really isn't much to "caring for" them. They don't need fed and don't care if I leave them on the shelf for weeks at a time.

It really just comes down to who I want to play with at the time. The newest doll is more likely to get more attention. Since my dolls represent characters I spend more time with the dolls whose stories I am writing. They are my little muses.

Sometimes I find myself not playing with my dolls for a while cause I'm too busy with other things in my life. I may get irritated with writer's block and not even want to look at my characters (pretty rare but it has happened) or my kids may need to much of my time. When I have a brand new doll I may get so busy playing with him that I don't play with the others or I may get so caught up in one character's story that I ignore the rest. But the beauty of dolls is that no matter how much I personify them in my head they are still inanimate objects so they don't care.

I sell them. It's only happened to me a couple of times but if I just can't bond with a doll it has to go. They are far to expensive to keep if I am not attached. It is my attachment to these little shells of my characters that makes them worth the price to me. So if I can't bond the doll can't stay.

8. Since I'm not into the more realistically faced dolls, not my cup of tea, and more into the Anime look. I think one Dollfie Dream would suffice for me, since I would be able to create alot of Anime character images with one since alot of Anime characters look really similar with different hair style,eye color,etc.

As for my 1/6 since they have completely hand-painted faces, they're all different and I love them all ^_^

9. Currently, I have just two dolls and feel this is enough for me. I find it hard to pick a favorite one, each has her own strengths and weakness. If one is neglected, it is only because I am busy with the other, I still love them both equally. If I had a doll I couldn't bond with I would look at ways of improving her/him to make that doll more appealing to me and give it time as bonding isn't always an instant thing, but if this doesn't work finding a new home is a good option.

10. Do you ever pick favorites when it comes down to your dolls?
      People would say I do, but I love all of my dolls. As a doll owner of five and one on layaway with more to come this year, I don't think I can pick a favorite of my dolls. I have a one of a kind and she's very special but my first doll will always be special. My 70cm boy has a really close bond with me. My petite is just adorable and my puki was a gift. No way I can pick just one to be a favorite

Do you find it frustrating to care for many dolls?
      Sometimes yeah, but to me, it's more fun to have more than one doll.

Rotate which doll goes to work with me or goes out to the stores with me.

Not usually, only other toy I like is stuffed animals and I sleep with those every night

Hasn't happened yet, but I'd probably keep them in the end because I don't have the heart to sell a doll.

11. I'm afraid I can't answer all of those questions, as I only have one doll. However I do plan on getting another soon. I think I could never have more than 2 at a time! O.o

12. Do you ever pick favorites when it comes down to your dolls?

No, one is newer so he gets a little bit more of my love, but not by much. I can't seem to love one more than the other. Sloan is too cute and Edwin is my first sd13 so.... yeah so much love to go around. I also have love for 7 more dolls (my friend's dolls)

No, well if they start to get a little too 'jumpy'. Their joints start to kick or something like that. Then I get a little uptight, but that doesn't last long.

They are with me at all times, so they both get love together :)

Only the internet..... but b/c im addicted to that first

Never has happened

13. Do you ever pick favorites when it comes down to your dolls?
      Yeah, my Saint and KDF Cherry are my favourites, and they take most of my time.

Yes and no. To begin with it can be frustrating if all of the dolls are half finished, but once they get to a certain stage of completion, it's all good. I don't think I'll ever have more than five or six msd-or-larger dolls, I like how cozy it feels with my current dolls.

I don't consciously divide time between them. If I feel like sewing for one or taking pictures or repainting one, that's what I do. So it's more of a whim than a thought out plan.

Sure. One of my dolls, the tiny, doesn't really get any attention at all because I rather spend time on the others, or doing something else - she doesn't even get a place on my signature :lol: I have plans for her, but other things that are more interesting in the moment distract me away.

Generally I sell dolls I fall out of love with. I haven't sold my tiny though, I guess I still see some kind of fun potential in her.

14. By now I have nearly 20. I started out wanting only one or two, because, yeah, they are enough to lavish attention upon, but I'm VERY happy to have the dolls that I have. I love them all!!!

Do you ever pick favorites when it comes down to your dolls?
      Not really. I do have a favorite of a sort--I like my first because I bought him thinking he'd be the one and only and the best. But I don't treat him much differently than the rest. And really, they ARE just dolls, it's not going affect their psyche. Or, if you DO think it might, I'd say that they don't sweat things like that and are very well-adjusted! :D

Not at all.

I'll try to rotate who I dress up and take to meetups. That's about it. And make sure I take some new photo of dolls that I haven't done so for a while. But really... I'm pretty sure my dolls don't care all that much if I'm fussing over them or not. In fact, they probably would prefer I'm not hauling them around and getting their eyelashes crushed, etc.

Nope. I love them all and always will. If I do stop loving them, I hope I will sell them so they go to a new and caring owner, but so far, I've never sold a doll.

I've bonded with them all. I really do have love for lots of dolls--but I can't own them all. I don't think love is limited. Money and time and space, yes... That's what is making me try not to buy more... but so far, not buying more has been incredibly difficult!!!

15. Do you ever pick favorites when it comes down to your dolls?
      Sadly, yes. One of my dolls is definetely my favourite - Lief. Even though he's just a floating head at the moment, I can be looking for props/clothes/eyes/etc for another doll and will inevitably be sidetracked when I find something that 'Lief would really like'. He's not even a complete doll yet! I find myself worried about what it will be like when he is a complete doll.

Not really. Could be to do with the fact that the majority of my dolls are in pieces (Lief and Cain - Heads. Elliot - Body.) but I find time to work with and hunt down things for every doll. The amount of time will vary depending upon certain factors (completeness, ease of finding things, character designs) but they all get at least some of my attention.

As above, really. Lief needed a lot of time and effort when it came to his wig - it needed strings of beads threadded through it. Cain will need a lot of time when I've finally decided on his body - his back has a giant tattoo on it that needs to be painted on. All of them will eventually need me to create in-scale feathered wings. (Not looking forward to it.) Tyler gets the photo-shoot time because at the moment, he's the only 'complete' doll.

My hobbies go in cycles. I'm currently on a gaming/anime cycle, but next week I could be writing or drawing or watching Doctor Who. I could be playing with my dolls or I could be reading or playing the piano. I know that if I'm currently not doing something, it's only a matter of time before I pick it up again.

Hasn't happened yet, so I can't comment.

16. 1-Do you ever pick favorites when it comes down to your dolls?
      2-Do you find it fustrating to care for many dolls?
      3-How do you devide your time with your dolls?
      4-Do you ever neglect your doll for another "toy" or doll? Or just because they grew old and tiring?
      5-What do you do with the dolls you can't bond with?

1-Well it depends ^_^ Anyway first doll is always my priority :D He's the one who got me into this BJD world ^_^
      2-Kinda sometimes :/ when I do not have enough time to manage both dolls and assignments>.<
      3-Still depends hehe^^"There's a period of time I only hug my first one :D and then he gets into his bag and then to the 2nd one...Then the same ^^"So it really depends on the mood :D but I do make sure that I got to spend time with each of them^_^
      4-I don't think so.Unless I'm really busy with my assignments x_x I have this old plush toy which is torn and the head seems like it's gonna part with her body anytime x_x''She has been there with me for over 10years :D but among all boys and plush toy she is still my favourite^____^
      5-Get them outfits XD I'm sure if I change and change and there will sure be a style I think fits the boy lots!

but there's sure a time I often feel that it's getting too many x_x...when I see that my room is starting to feel packed again LOL. My room is already flooded by collection of books and toys over the years and now with those boxes.it's getting even worst LOL

17. Do you ever pick favorites when it comes down to your dolls? Yes. My Jace is my favourite doll. It took years to get one home, after convincing myself I didn't want one.
      Do you find it frustrating to care for many dolls? Have 6 dolls at the moment and for me it's a nice number to own. Did has 7 but felt that was crossing the line.
      How do you divide your time with your dolls? I don't think about dividing my time for dolls.
      Do you ever neglect your doll for another "toy" or doll? Or just because they grew old and tiring? I have other interests besides dolls, so yeah, dolls can take a back seat.
      What do you do with the dolls you can't bond with? One doll I couldn't bond with went to my daughter. He's still part of the family. :)

18. Do you ever pick favorites when it comes down to your dolls?
      I only have two dolls right now and I love them both for different reasons. I have a whole troop of dolls planned and I'm sure when I have them all assembled, I will play favorites. I have a feeling it will always be my Iplehouse Benny because she is based on a character of mine who is very dear to me. The rest of my dolls have characters based on the doll itself. So my Benny stands out a bit in that regard.

Nope. I see them all as ongoing projects. So having many will keep me interested and excited about them. If I get tired on working on one, I can work on another.

I'm really busy and don't have a lot of time for my dolls. But when I do, I try to prioritize whoever is blank or naked. I like all of my dolls to have faces and at least one outfit.

Nah, I neglect everything pretty equally. It's not because I lost interest, it's just because I'm busy.

I feel bad about it because I feel a lot of empathy for anything with a face, but I will eventually sell them.

19. Do you ever pick favorites when it comes down to your dolls?

Hmm. Well, I love all my dolls... but I'd be lying if I said I didn't have my "favorites". I have different "favorites" though - my "favorite" poser, my "favorite" sculpt, the one wearing my "favorite" outfit, etc. As a whole I love them equally, though.

Not at all.

It depends on my mood. Generally my dolls live in their cabinet and when I'm able I'll take one out to sit at my desk, take pictures, etc. I try to rotate, but sometimes that proves unsuccessful.

No, not really. When a new doll arrives they do receive a lot of attention, but I think that's only natural. I wish them each "good night" in the evening, so even if my schedule is hectic I still try to find some time to give them individual attention.

They do not stay. I am the type of person who knows when I open the box if a doll is meant for me or not. I'm that way in all hobbies. If we don't "click" or s/he doesn't fit with the rest of my resin crew, I put said doll up for sale.

20. Do you ever pick favorites when it comes down to your dolls?
      Yes, I have my favorites, they happen to be the first dolls I bought.

No, I started out wanting many. I love doing little stories with them! I guess the only time it might be really time consuming is around Halloween when they all need to get dressed at the same time.

My life is always busy but I find time with my dollie kids. About once a month a spend the entire day in the dollroom.

My dolls are never neglected, they cost to much money and this is what I wanted as a neverending hobby.

This has happened to me and I hate to say this but it was with my first LittleFee.
      She sat with the other big kids watching all the tinies having fun for about one year and then one day I picked her up and gave her a make over. I was in love all over again, she now lives with the tinies and has 6 other littlefees doing little stories.
      Most of the time you just need to give a makeover and fall in love again like I did. ;)