1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

When does it end, the doll acquisition stage?!

Jun 15, 2007

1. I ask myself that everyday. And I only just hit the acquisition phase despite being a doll owner for almost 2 years! Like some weird delayed reaction

2. Definitely the same here. I bought my first 18 months ago and I now have 18 dolls - 19 is on the way and I think I know who will be #20. My collection is varied though through all the sizes, which makes it easier (unfortunately) to consider newcomers.

3. I gope so, because there is at least 1 more taht I want, im im already almost flat broke from my first! And he isnt even done yet! XD

4. I honestly..think it stops. XD eventually. I"ve been wanting like a million dolls but lately even the ones I want don't seem to interest me save for...3..? o_o; So either you'll stop all together or you'll just be picky.

5. I love reading the responses! I started a thread similar to this awhile back, discussing a similar issue as to when a collector knows when to stop, and about one's personal breaking point.

http://www.denofangels.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126402

I have five bjds at the moment, and it is very manageable. Yet, I find myself interested in buying yet another. I believe it is like a new baby, or a new puppy in the home, it is so much fun to prepare and so much fun to buy things!:D Who can resist? It is a hobby! :

Yes, I was one of those who thought one doll would be enough, why would anyone need so many?*_* And, I never ever thought I would sell my first. Well, I did.

Poetic Soul good for you figuring out what you wanted and creating a new kind of bjd collection. The beauty of this fandom is that there are so many diverse groups of people, some are happiest with 30 dolls, and others are content with one. To each his own!:aheartbea

Dolly I like your analogy about the jeans. We can have a lot of them but there are some we love!

6. I've been into dolls for 2 years or so also, and my urge to buy has never been that strong to begin with. ^^; I'm up to 4 dolls now, but this year I had extra money so I was able to acquire 2 in the same year. I am very picky with the sculpts I want, and while I see many pretty sculpts, I have no desire to own them. XD

My urge to actually buy them is dwindling sharply, and I am very content with my crew - I only have 1 more that I am absolutely going to get, and 2 others that are still in consideration.

7. I know what you mean.

I just got my first kids today, and the day before they arrived, I saw B&G's Freya, and went @.@...

"I need to save.."

8. I think it eventually ends--or so I can hope ^_^

I'm hoping that after I finish rounding out this particular story crew that I am working on I'll be able to stop buying dolls and begin spoiling the ones I have ^^; I can dream right?

9. *waves* Same here. Just one became just two became ten at the max... I started collecting in 2005, and I've got seven dolls now, with an eigth on the way.

I've always been a collector at heart, and if my previous hobbies are anything to go by, it'll be a long time for me because the urge to get more slows down.

10. I wish it would end for me, but I keep discovering dolls that I just love. I'm a little more discriminating now than I was at first and I have to save money or take on additional work in order to afford them, but I keep buying. I have twelve, plus one floating head and two more dolls on layaway. There are five more on my immediate wish list that I will definitely buy as soon as I can manage it. I am always planning to stop, right after I buy the last one on my list. *sigh* On the other hand, I get great pleasure from playing with my dolls and I am addicted to the rush that comes from knowing a new one is on the way. These dolls amaze and delight me and they're cheaper than therapy. I really am going to stop buying them at some point; I just haven't reached it yet.

11. HA!

Yeah, right. I wish.

**wanders away, laughing quietly**

12. I hope it never ends. NEVER!!

:mwahaha :mwahaha :mwahaha

I hope I still feel as enthusiastic in ten years time as I did when my first boy came home. I love the feeling I get when I see a doll, fall in love with it and then manage to buy it.

13. Congrats on your kids arriving!!! :D

14. *joins the ranks* My max number has been creeping up despite myself. First "just one" then "just two" then "just four" then "just ten." :| I've recently completed my first year in the BJD hobby, and I've already bought 6 dolls (1 was sold), with 2 more planned sometime this year. My collecting spree is slowing down now simply because I need to collect the necessary funds for my next two and I refuse to dip into my savings.

The trouble is, just as I find myself content with the number of dolls I have, a company will release a new, pretty doll I want. Or I discover how pretty an already existing mold is, and I fall for it. So... while I truly hope to slow down in collecting and stop around 8-10.... I'm not holding my breath.

15. i don't think i ever gave myself a maximum number... but i did tell myself this:

THINK FIRST. THINK A LOT. then spend the money.

it's... kind of worked? i've gone from 0 dolls last August to four whole dolls and a glue bottle-imp at the time i type this, and the bottle-imp's body has been ordered. but as i'm unemployed at the moment, all doll-spending has been cut off. which is good, as it will give me time to look over my wishlist and dreaminglist and reconsider and revise. it forces me to slow down and be sure that these ARE the sculpts i want.

but to be honest... i don't think it ever really ends. it just slows a little. sometimes.

16. I'll let you know.

I've been at tihs for a couple of couple of years now and I'm still acquiring. I try to manage a sell to buy ratio, so I only have x number of dolls at one time, but I do keep acquiring.

17. I can speak as someone who things are definitely slowing down for! I've had my heart set on the same 2 dolls so fill in my doll family for a long time and I'm totally content with not adding to the list It's more of a suggestion to myself than a guarantee, of course. But I really do feel almost done!

18. I collect other (fashion) dolls and in a lot of ways it's easy with them to wake up one morning and realize you have waaaay too many. That's one small reason I'm interested in bjd. I think that having to put so much thought and planning into my purchases (as well as money) is going to be good for me. Plus, when I'm spending so much money on one doll I seem to be more careful about not buying on impulse. I fell in love with the Uyoo fairy like six months ago but just now decided to go ahead with the purchase. I haven't given any thought to purchasing another beyond her.

Although I'm sure the deeper I get into this hobby the more I'll find "kids" that I just have to have. :lol:

19. My first doll I got last August on eBay, and since then, even with spending pay after pay on manga (which is another thing I have an addiction to buying), I've still managed to get three more dolls. ^^;

I don't see myself stopping anytime soon, either... I usually buy the ones I like, and long as they're in my price range (its a good thing I've stuck mostly to MSDs), so I can see me having upwards of 20 dolls in the (far off) future. XD

20. Well I have 15 dolls now, and about 12 on my wishlist, so I guess I'm never going to be exiting that stage haha.