1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

When does it end, the doll acquisition stage?!

Jun 15, 2007

1. Well, I assumed getting new dolls would end, but when there are always so many new and wonderful dolls, I wonder if it can never really end. I'm trying to get different ones, not just more and more of similar ones even if new and lovely sculpts come out all the time - or I fall in love with some old sculpt I have not considered before.

I assume it is OK as long as I don't get into debt because of the dolls. I don't buy clothes for my dolls, only eyes and wigs, so it means I can get more dolls. My dolls seem to be quite content with home-made clothes. Of course that means I have to buy materials, but I do crafts anyway, so I assume I would be buying materials for other purposes if it were not doll clothes.

I must try to slow down, but I don't think I can never stop completely.

2. I noticed something. I was going crazy while my first doll was on order, but within a week after he arrived, I really wanted to order another one. I ordered my first floating head, then after that had been here for awhile, did a split to get another head for my first doll.

Then I ordered the body for my first floating head, and now, after he's arrived, I find myself stalking the market again. *_*

I told myself only one more doll for awhile after the one I just got a body for (third doll is going to be expensive), but now I find myself REALLY wanting to buy a bunch of other sculpts, too.

Has anyone else here gotten/been addicted more to the process of acquiring dolls, than to actually having dolls? :lol:

3. That seems to be my exact problem right now. ^^;

Sometimes it almost feels like it's more fun picking out a doll and buying things for it. It's just a really exciting thing, I suppose. But I really do love owning my dollies. :D

4. I really enjoy my dolls, but there's something else fun about saving up and ordering, and then the wait. It's that 'shopping high' that you hear people talking about sometimes, I guess. Fortunately for me, classes just started, and I can't afford any new dolls right now. XD Though since tax returns are coming up, I find myself once again browsing the doll sites and the marketplace here. ::sigh::

5. I wondered this very thing just yesterday. I got a girl body from Serendipity yesterday and the bubblewrap had hardly hit the trashcan before I was e-mailing Junkyspot about ordering Hid.

Without a doubt, receiving a doll is an addictive experience. There's all this crazy anticipation, then he or she arrives and BANG! We're over the top ecstatic. We have our doll! She's beautiful and just what I wanted! Then, like the day after Christmas, everything's back to normal and we start looking for that next high...errr...I mean doll :)

At least, that's how it's been working for me!

6. I think it's a different type of enjoyment. Becoming smitten with a particular mold, stalking every picture and word about the doll, planning who they will be and what they will look like, picking their name and at some point pressing that buy button - it's pretty intense! Actually having and enjoying the doll is a more calm pleasure.

I actually find the hardest time for me to resist looking/buying is when I am waiting for another doll.

Carolyn

7. I feel the same way.

I LOVE my CP/Luts Dreaming Shiwoo Vampire Elf,Kaiden,but I'll still look on Ebay and other doll sites for another one...

I think dollfies are addicting because they look human,elfish,or fanstasy.
      Also I think the price gives us something to strive for and therefor we work harder and want another one more.

It's a version of a shopping high.

But yeah,thats just my opinion

8. Hmm I don't own a doll yet, but trust me, I just want the thing in my house now, I'm not "having fun" saving and waiting... lol. It ain't fun getting a doll, for me. And I don't exactly like too many of the sculpts out there... plus if I was going to get another doll then I'd still keep the first... @_@

9. I find that imagining myself buying a doll and obsessing over little doll clothes and shoes and hair and eyes is as much fun as having a doll. I like to browse the marketplace here on DoA just so I can say "that would be perfect for _____<---enter imaginary doll name there." It's nice to have a doll, but it's also nice to image yourself owning all your dream dolls and buying them whatever they wanted =]

10. I suppose... maybe in a way. The fact that I have four more dolls already planned out in detail (clothes, wigs, personality, history, love interests etc) might say something ^^ (And I began the hobby in early December). I miss the dolls I don't have but already know in my mind, and I can't wait for the opportunity when I am able to buy them and bring them home but... I am also very satisfied with just Dio. I love him to bits and smitherins and enjoy my time with him a lot. Or course, I also love to buy him new things, as seeing him in the same ol' same ol' can get a bit tiring. But, it did take me a week before I was able to bond to him (just to use a phrase). Right after I got him I was back on the net browsing for sculpts and deciding on new dolls but... having gotten a few news and awakenings of how my economic situation would look in the time ahead I came to the realisation that there would be no new doll in a long while. After this I was able to relax, and dedicated all my time to Dio. So... I suppose that it's a sort of 'illness', syndrom if you want. When you have gotten one you want another right away. The feeling of accomplishment you get when your boy/girl has arrived home can only come again with a new doll right? So as Carolyn mentioned above, it's two different kinds of enjoyment. The sheer bliss of having them home at last, and the cosy days just spent taking pictures, sewing or showing them off.

Nothing can be compared to the moment you lift the lid off the box and see their face for the first time though ^^

11. LOL 29 dolls home/ordered/in progress seems to attest to the fact that I always want to have someone coming in, so yeah, that certainly seems to be the case for me. I get restless when someone is not a WIP (hence 13 WIPs--yikes!) I'm particularly bad with minimees atm--the minute I get preview pictures I'm off ready to order the next one. :doh Definitely an addiction.

12. The hunt is fun. I am constantly looking, even though right now I don't plan on any more additions to the resin family. Heck, I love to watch the discussion rooms as limiteds come out. The angst, the drama, and me living vicariously though the people with the fundage to get what I cannot. :sweat

13. I'm used to "window shopping" for dolls, really. My bank staement and other financial responsibilities stops me from actually buying anything impulsively, but I COMPLETELY understand the feeling. It's always nice to be expecting nice things. In a way I guess it's just nice to have something to look forward to. I don't think I'll ever get to the point where I'm buying dolls impulsively, BUT I do think I'll always be window shopping new dolls, even after I've gotten mine. (^__^)

14. The chase is never over! Some acquisitions just have to wait though :doh It's those days we all are glad for window shopping.

15. I'm guilty of browsing the marketplace too even with no real 'need' for a new doll. I'm still paying off a layaway on a body, and realistically, I know I shouldn't be spending money on more dolls for a while, but gee, it's fun to window shop! :D

I do know that this year, I'm looking to ONLY add maybe one or two more to the family, and in that time, maybe even rehome one. Last year's sapped out quite a bit of my finances when it comes to this hobby, and I do want to be good and save up. Maybe I may even be able to think seriously about wedding plans after being engaged for nearly 2 years! LOL!

16. I havent paid for my first, and I am already looking for number 2 and 3 and the 4th! :? This is really a beautiful and fascinating hobby, so I imagine once I get a new job with more income, the dolls will be well dressed, well fed and everyone have someone to snuggle with. :) :lol: Gotta love being a adult that can do whatever you want with your own hard-earned money.:aheartbea

And I daily browse the different doll-stores on the net, looking for updates and news, maybe a sale. I need more money...

17. I have four dolls as well and I'm buying a fifth as soon as Dolkot do shipping again (So, end of January hopefully!)

I'm also planning a few, by the looks of it I won't be slowing down anything soon! I always told myself "No more than 3 dolls" But I've gone past that limit already xD

18. I feel really quite alone here because this need to buy lots of BJDs is not something I have. I have my one doll and I have absolutely no desire to buy any others. I desire lots of beautiful tiny things for her to play with and gorgeous clothes for her to wear, and it is that which I spend my money on. I browse websites sometimes looking at different dolls and I can appreciate their asthetic but I don't feel I need to possess them. I feel more glee in finding a mini bento box for Maud than trying to acquire lots of other dolls. I don't know whether its because I am a bit of a solitary creature by nature and therefore Maud is by proxy or because I don't have a list of characters in my head that need to be brought to life by dolls. I find it very creative and interesting that people do but it is odd to assume that we all do this. I am not saying that anyone in particular assumes this, it just seems a given on this board that this is the case. It probably stems from peoples other hobbies and interests like roleplaying and whatnot. I don't have a background in RPG so I am talking as a complete n00b here! Twas just a thought. But I am rambling......so enough!:)

19. I need to really slow down and stop also. I collect bjds and other dolls so my house is getting smaller and smaller. I only want to buy sd13 boys only then I saw some tinies I like. Man I hope it ends in couple of yrs :)

20. I am a shopaholic, so this is bad.

But I have slowly reach my peek; because I am totally out of room to put them. Having a total of 9 SD arrived and on waiting (2 MSD and 5 floating heads arrived); with a pending purchase of the 9th one and 10th already planned for over 3 months. I have to think twice or three times before I buy again.