1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

When Friends Mess With Your Doll?

May 24, 2010

1. Oh, I hate when my friends take my dolls. ^^;

2. I hate it when my doll friends just start combing my dolls wigs. I like long wigs and take my time brushing them so they don't get frizzy and the ends don't break, it drives me crazy when they start yanking combs and whatnot through them...

3. Pfffft. Tongue firmly in cheek, darlin'. :mwahaha

(But still contains a grain of truth, which you may discover later in life-- grownups often do sleep with good-looking jerks when it's guaranteed they'll be gone in the morning. No, it's not just men who do it. Don't believe everything TV tells you. But anyway.)

It's not at all hard to enforce. If they break your property after your warning, then you collect the money. If they don't pay, you take the next step it takes to get your restitution-- whether that entails just telling the culprit's Mommy & Daddy or calling a lawyer, that depends on your situation and your inclination. If you don't follow through, then that person will know you don't mean anything you say, & they will continue to run roughshod all over you. First rule of discipline is that it must be swift & it must be definite. (The severity is up to you.)

4. My best friend's sister was very grabby hands with Yoshiro when I took him for a sleepover. She kept petting him and wanted to play with him. She's seventeen so I kind of trusted her? until he was head first off a dresser >.> I didn't mind since he had landed on a cushion but safe to say, she didn't play with him much after. Especially since her sister (my bffl) reminded her how much Yoshi cost XD

5. I tell people to not touch my doll at all unless I give them permission to. I just say that she's very expensive and her face-up might come off if her face gets touched a lot.

I don't have any disrespectful friends, and if I did, I would put my BJD away before they come over to my house. ^^;

6. Sorry, I just can't see a 15 year old hiring a lawyer because another fifteen year old broke their $300 doll. First, the cost of hiring a lawyer would most likely exceed the cost of the doll, and it really wouldn't be worth ruining the obviously poor friends (who would have been the most likely culprits in my case) tiny bank account to repay for the doll as well as repay the cost of the lawyer.

If you are so serious that you would hire a lawyer about it, then flatly dont let anyone touch your dolls.

7. Reading these post i feel kinda luck even though i only have two friends i've know one for 13 years so she know what will piss me off and what wont, she's really the only one I'll let hold my doll I don't even let my mom hold him. :|

She knows just how long i've waited and saved for him so if he broke in her hands she be paying for his repairs.

8. I am completely surprised how defensive I am of my dolls. They are still relatively new to me and I hate, hate, hate people talking crap about them, making fun of them, mishandling them, etc. I have never been protective or defensive of my stuff or my hobbies before! I don't have any idea where this defensiveness came from... I was really surprised when my friend dropped the infamous "B-Word" (Barbie) and I was totally pissed. I said it was maybe the difference between a skateboard and a Ferrari but I guess both still have wheels so they are both toys, right? But then she said a Ferrari was just a "toy" as well! Somehow I couldn't get the "piece of artwork" argument to get through her thick skull...and she's an artist herself!

Really, it just makes me wish these folks had kids so I could tell them their baby was an ugly waste of time and money. :evil:

9. I think a good way to look at this is to ask are they 'close friends' or 'occasional friends'.

I have friends that I hang out with on occasion, and because of that, I wouldn't expect them to have the 'birds of a feather'
      aspect about them. So with that I would definitely be upset about them not taking me seriously, and honestly be surprised if they did.

I think that Zelda probably just needed a couple of people to relate to here. You can say 'you break it you bought it', but I'd prefer to prevent getting there all together. I couldn't stand to see one of my treasures hit the ground like a pancake while they look at me like 'oops'.

10. While helping me move, my cousin (without my knowledge) tried to put a mohair curly wig I had on a doll (not a BJD) into pig tails! When I saw how messed up the doll's hair was I freaked - my cousin quickly apologized and said she just thought the hair would look cute in the style she was trying. She wasn't trying to be mean or hurt my doll, she just didn't know anything about mohair wigs and what you could or couldn't do with them!

I have a friend, also a doll collector, who just loves to run her fingers through doll hair - she does it with her own dolls. After the second time she did this to my dolls I just had to tell her to stop doing that - she did.

So many people just don't realize the price of collectible dolls today. Probably half of the little girls who had Barbies and other inexpensive dolls, cut their hair, applied "makeup", etc. That same half is probably the group that likes to mess with our dolls today.

11. For the most part my friends will stop doing something with my stuff when I tell them to, except my best friend he is like a brother so annoying me can become the highlight of his day, usually he will not be careless with anything expensive because though a bit immature he's not cruel. I am slightly afraid how he will handle my first doll though because he is kinda careless with my American girl dolls because according to him there only child play things so I'm hoping he's not that way with my BJD if he is I will not stand for it one bit and possibly ban him from my room if I have to. I would also like to add my best friend does care about my feelings and such but he can not seem to understand why a tomboy like me likes to collect dolls so much.

12. I would be pissed off if one of my friends were messing with my mini moon without asking frist.

13. Most of my friends know now that they're just... not allowed to touch my dolls -_-; I mean a few of them have tried, but watching me cringe at most of their actions has taught them 'aaid no likey me being touchy with her dollies' (As one of them put it). The problem I have is /family/ members touching my dolls. I mean, immediate family know better, but they also keep making me show my dolls to the rest of my family. And they're all touching the face, and bending them in ways they don't go. And I do my best not to be disrespectful but after a certain point it's just like 'yeah okay GIMME HIM/HER BACK NOW, KAY?!' XD;
      I let my dollie friends touch them though XD Heck, I let Redfern pull apart Charlie without so much as a flinch! But that's cause... Well they know how to handle dolls, and they treat them with respect. (most of the time XD)

14. I agree, friends should be respectful

15. Not much problem with friends bothering my dolls, but rather my friends' kids! And my own kids of course.... I find that my kids are so used to the fact that they will be scolded for touching the BJDs that they usually don't but their friends can't seem to resist them.

16. Friends touching the doll= ruler on hand. Even besties. Period. My hobbies are expensive and I found out the hard way that they dont know how to treat my stuff so as far as Im concerned, NO TOUCHIES or the hand gets BREAKIES:vein not even with a pretty please. Unless you own one in which case you may hold her till your hearts content:chibi

17. I would. I'm sorry, but at 15 years old my parents would never have bought me anything so expensive, so I would've had to have saved up for a $300 doll for likely a couple of years beforehand. If someone broke it after I'd told them my "you break it, you pay for it" rule, then yes, if it came down to it, I would've had my parents go after the money by whatever means necessary.

Now that I have a job, it would still take me several months, upwards of around a year thanks to working minimum-wage and paying all my own rent and bills, to buy a $300 doll. I would be royally ticked off if someone blatantly broke something that expensive, then turned around and said "you can't make me pay." Um, yes, I can, and I will, just for that attitude. I don't go around breaking your stuff and obviously mishandling it after being told to be careful, do me the honor of returning the favor.

18. LOL when you're 15 your parents are basically your lawyers. It would probably come down to your parents talking with their parents and working out some payment plan.

Also, you don't hire a lawyer for small claims court. You do however pay court fees, which in this case would probably outweigh the cost of the doll. Additionally, if your friend is equally as poor as you, then they probably wouldn't be able to pay it back anyways and you'd wind up with a payment-plan as well as an enemy...

Definitely best to just NOT let your friends handle your dolls if that's how desperate you are for $300.

19. I am super anal with my dolls. I have showed them to friends but not let them touch, nor have they really wanted to. My older brother was over one night and I was eager to show him the latest member of my family...Williams. My brother grabbed the doll out of the box and I am not sure what transpired next but the head cap went flying and bounced on the hardwood floor and the little magnet came loose and fell out. I wanted to kill him. It took me like an hour to find the magnet...luckily there were no nicks or dents on the cap. I vowed to just not let anyone touch my dolls , they can only look~ LOL.

20. Ive got my dolls planned out because they all represent OC's of mine from a story... the first boy I'm getting is part of a twin so I'm getting the two together

many friends dont believe me about the dolls being correct and expressed plans to de pants the twins when they get here, which I refuse to let happen D: MY BOYS NEED THEIR DIGNITY!