1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

When Friends Mess With Your Doll?

May 24, 2010

1. This is a sadder part of the hobby when you have immature friends. In the past, i have had friends that i just couldn't get to understand that respect of my home, and belongings was essential to the continuation of our friendship.
      I have had people break dolls i had a long long time ago, some happened in front of me, others i found the broken remains stashed behind furniture etc.

If someone doesn't care enough about you not to break your things, or at least be respectful of them, you shouldn't be letting them in your house to begin with, and might want to think about whether or not you want them around at all. (though you should always TRY to discuss this with them first).

On a side note, for the ones that run around like it's a big game, one way to smack them back into place is to state very bluntly, "I've had enough of your immaturity, disrespect, and carelessness now get the -BEEP- out of my house!" in the past, when I've had to do this it usually results in them shoving the doll or object into my chest and storming out. When things calm down later, you can try and explain why you reacted the way you did.
      A calm discussion after putting your foot down can really tell you a lot about how that person will be in the future.

2. I don't think that MY friends will be the problem when I get my first doll. They usually treat people's things and homes with some sort of respect.

However, my mothers friends? The last person she had over was disrespectful to EVERYONES belongings and the apartment itself. He wore his shoes on the carpet, left the fridge door open over night (when I woke up at 2 am everything in it was room temp), used one of the bowls we eat out of as an ash tray, messed with the stuff on my dresser, and threw my plush unicorn out of his way when he wanted to sit next to my mother on my bed. When I get my first doll I wont let this guy ANYWHERE near it.

3. Well, I only show my dolls of to my closest friends, and so far they have been really respectful and not all too interested in handling them, which suits me just fine. To people who are not that close to me, they can look at my dolls from the outside of the display cabinet, which is a good deterrent for itchy fingers. :)

For the most part, my friends are very polite, so I haven't had an issue of mishandling just yet, I hope it never happens tho.

4. Honestly, as long as they handle them with care I don't mind. Its kind of amusing to see the poses that my friends put my dolls in sometimes.

5. (I don't have my doll yet - she is on her way)
      All of my mom's friends are very touchy with everything. They would probably touch the face and ruin the faceup, and break a few parts which is NOT okay.
      Unless they pay for it, but.. anyway.
      As long as they give it respect, I'm fine.

6. I wouldn't consider her my friend, but someone who i talk to. But anyway, I took my doll to school and was waiting in front of the art room like i do every other morning. So I pulled Aries out and some people gave me strange faces and all, but overall it was "OOHHH PURRRTTTY!" Then this girl comes up and tries to punch my girl! So I had to hold her where no one could get to her. But the girl STILL tried to hit my doll and it made me really angry.

7. Thankfully I'm blessed with mature minded friends, and this kind of ridiculously ignorant behaviour has never happened. Heck, even my six year old neice handles my dolls with more respect then that. She's been told and understands these are dolls for grown ups and need to be very carefully held, and only if she asks first (Sure, she put sticky fingers all over one of my dolls whne I had him apart and was blushing, but she didn't quite connect the fact he was as precious as the ones all put together)

Most people grow out of this kind of deliberatly antagonizing behaviour. Just make it clear that you hid him becasue they didn't listen when you asked them to stop. And if they make promises not to do it again, say 'that's fine, but I'm STILL not bringing him out'. They betrayed your trust and openly, repeatedly disrespected you, and they HAVE to be shown that you won't tolerate it. If you put up and shut up, they'll keep doing it.

8. I dont have a doll yet, but two of my friends have some each and I often ask to analyze them so that I can understand more about different moulds from different companies, how they are strung, etc.
      I think that ASKING before you do ANYTHING, even so much as just touching the doll, is very important. If I move a joint a certain way or the dolls leg flops to the side and my friend snaps at me, I do not take it personally. I apologize immeadiately. Because they are so expensive, and they mean everything to their owner. People dont seem to understand this, and it saddens me. BJD's are not playthings that you can just rough house around with, they are often very important to their owners.
      I consider it an honor when someone lets me fiddle with their doll. Like they respect me, and trust me with something precious to them.

9. My friends always handle my kids without care, in the end they pull of their wigs and start laughing at them :(

10. I don't have a problem like that.
      Because my friends are my friends.
      I put up enough with bullying when I was younger that it really affected who I was, and it took me years to get my self esteem back. I don't need to put up with similar crap from people who call themselves my friends.

All of my friends know how expensive these dolls are, and as they're not actually interested in them, they don't touch them at all...

11. For me its more along the lines of people having dirty hands or people who have a different idea of careful. My friends are very respectful but they think that I'm nuts with how careful I am with my boy. It's not that he is made of glass and I play with him and cart him around everywhere but with what I invested in him, I don't want him damaged. Its hard to critique a friend who is trying to be helpful by grabbing your doll and stuffing him somewhere out of the reach of say the dog, but at the same time, its hard to not get annoyed when they handle him like a football.

12. I haven't had a friend mishandle my dolls yet. BUT there was a guy that I hung out with a bit in high school, who I am glad I got rid of before I got my dolls. Whenever he was with my other friends and I, he would actually demand to sit in the front seat of my friend's car and proceed to grab at and jerk around the steering wheel while we were driving. He was really rough too and wouldn't keep his hands off of you.

And so I can just imagine him snapping off my dolls fingers and dipping them in various food items and mangling their wigs. Unfortunately, the only solution to his constant dumbassery was to friend dump him.

13. Goodness...I've never thought about my friends messing with my dolls. I don't own any BJD's right now, but I do collect a lot of other dolls that I have right now. I've never had to worry about other people touching them since I have 2 glass cases containing them. I would kill a friend if they broke a doll I owned XD. I wish people understood how valuable dolls can be.

14. My friends are usually pretty good.. But my one best friend ALWAYS TOUCHES MY DOLL! I ask her not too all the time but she always comes in and grabs her, and starts posing her, even if I say "Dont touch her" before we enter my room! It really urks mee!!!~

15. My friend likes to roughly throw her current bjd around, and it freaks me out when she handles mine. I kind of have to snatch him away before he gets messed with.