1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

When is it okay to buy a doll?

Dec 14, 2016

1. I buy dolls when I really want it...it's always an instant decision for me, but the limited ones are always the priority. This is not a habit I wish to keep in this hobby tho, because it's draining my money way too fast :shudder

2. If you have your own money and can pay for it upfront without jeopardizing the roof over your head or any other obligations, then go for it, you don't need an excuse. No point spending your whole life working if you can't buy yourself something nice once in a while.

Where I see people get unstuck is the "your own money" part. If you're being supported by your parents by them subsidizing college or housing you should probably wait until you're self-sufficient before you spend so much money on a non-essential luxury item. Otherwise they may see it as effectively spending "their" money and get a little grumpy.

3. It is 'okay' to buy a doll whenever you want one and have the money for it, after necessities are taken care of. It stops being okay when you are sacrificing financial obligation in favor of dolls, but other than that, anytime is an okay time.

4. I bought my doll when I finally had enough money to justify me buying an expensive doll and my next because I was in the shop at the time and had saved enough for me to buy (but its an off topic doll so I wont talk about it haha).
      My next again will be when I dont have any of big events/things that I need to buy prior or after and again I have enough money...oh and when I cant stop thinking of having the doll! :)

5. Whenever you are financially comfortable and have money to spend on luxuries. Necessities first and everything else after.

6. It pays off to only want dolls that are "harder" to get, hah. I buy regular sculpts only when I have the money available, and am sure it's something I really want to add to my doll family, which I try to keep very limited.

7. When do you buy dolls?
      I buy dolls when I have money and space available and there is a good sale from the company, or when one of my grail dolls in on the market at a decent price.

Does it have to be for a Birthday or Christmas?
      No. I have only bought one doll as my own personal birthday present, and that was my very first doll. Because dolls take time to be made, it is very unreliable to buy one as a holiday gift.

8. I think it's okay to buy dolls whenever, just not when you're in a financial crisis, in debt, or on the verge of killing your health.

9. I bought all of my dolls a month or two before my birthday, and I wouldn’t have considered buying my third if this year hadn’t been a milestone birthday. They always come one or two months after the fact. XD

I also stand with emphasizing that all adulting and responsibilities should be handled before any money goes towards dolls.

10. I try to buy myself a doll for Christmas but other than that, it's whenever I fall in love & have some extra cash around. Since you're working & as long as the bills are paid & you have other neccessities taken care of, why not treat yourself?

11. I used to be of the "whenever you want and are able to" way of thinking, but about four years ago I realized that at least half of my dolls were ones that I liked but didn't love. I'd see a limited edition (or discontinued second-hand doll) and not wanting to miss out would think "I can afford it and I have space, why not?"

But having moved several times with my now-large collection I wish I'd been a little more moderate. So now I try to only buy one doll per year. I try to time it during sales, but honestly that matters less to me than just not picking up every doll that catches my eye.

12. I buy dolls when I have the full amount saved up.

13. I don't even understand why everyone seems so apologetic. It's a better addiction than drugs or alcohol.

14. I'm in a similar situation to yours :) I am independent, I got my first job yet... I felt guilty for wanting a doll. Like there are milion other things I should be spending my money on. So in order to feel fully justified with my purchase here is what I do:
      - I make sure I paid for all other necessities and helped my parents with everything they need and more
      - I wait for a special occasion when I consciously deny myself something else that I would rather buy with that money
      - I award my accomplishments
      - I wait for events/hybrid dolls and I always try to get the best deal - it might only save me $30 on a purchase but inside, I will feel a lot better. Like I did all that I could to make this decision as responsible as possible. And that makes all the difference to me

Many people also take out a small amount of money every month/week for dolls and eventually save up enough for a doll. But I'm not that organized and I don't like to plan ahead or think about money so often... only when I actually spend it.

15. 1) When you like the doll.
      2) When the purchase does not come at the expense of your other financial responsibilities.

Consider whether your financial balance could be thrown off by unforseen short-term circumstances (e.g. digging into your "safety net" savings account to buy a doll could undermine you if your car breaks down, you have a medical emergency, etc.)

If you have your basic savings/emergency fund, and ideally, retirement accounts, set aside, debts paid, and all your other responsibilities are being met, then how you use your money should be up to you, free of guilt!

16. If you put aside weekly/biweekly/monthly/whatever funds for dolls, most (if not all) of the guilt will probably disappear. You already mentally decide "this money is for nothing but dolls", so it wouldn't be money that would go towards a necessary expense anyway.

17. It's okay to buy a new doll (for me), when :
      I like the doll and I have the money.

Even though it's on a layaway, but I have to make sure that I can pay it (meaning my income is stable for that particular doll). I do it to all of my hobbies actually, beside BJD. I'm afraid that I can't pay the rest of it, cause you never know what will happen in the future. So at least, if I can secure the payment plan, I can breath & sleep normally. :lol:

18. I only make big purchases (let's face it, dolls are a big purchase) if I:

1. Have the cash in hand
      2. Don't have other financial obligations

Even then, I still usually end up feeling incredibly guilty spending the $$$.

19. 1) when you found the sculpt u really one
      2) when u got enough money or flexible layaway XD

20. If I want a doll I rather buy it from money I make with my hobby. Like sewing, customising etc :D