1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

When Natural Disasters Attack

Sep 2, 2009

1. Honestly... there's not enough warning on a Tornado to even THINK about my dolls. Ultimately, I look at them as replaceable, in spite of all the work I've put into them. The last time I had to "evacuate" my part of the house for a tornado warning, I'll admit, I didn't spare a single thought for them until I was coming back up after the all-clear. I was much more concerned about getting my cat, myself, and my portable hard drive (which stores backups of years' worth of work). And even the HD was more of an afterthought as I was getting myself evacuated.

In the case of a disaster with sufficient warning, however, where I might have to evacuate... well, in that case I'd pack them up and go, along with a few of the other valuable items (as well as irreplaceable ones). But in the heat of the moment, I'm much more concerned with lives than resin.

2. I agree with this sentence.

My doll hasn't even arrived yet, but I actually was thinking of this earlier today, before I even saw this topic. We get tornado (warnings) here a lot, and I often think of my expensive items I want to save if a tornado actually comes to my home, but when it's actually happening, the last thing on my mind is material possessions. I normally end up panicking and am preoccupied with family and pets haha. Well BJD's are expensive but can be replaced whereas living things can't, right? I love my doll, but if my home is destroyed by a tornado, the only reason to save him would be to sell him :( so I can rebuild my life or something.

3. The most abrupt thing we have to worry about locally is tornadoes, and there have been a few times that we've thrown the dolls and the dog in the car and made for my mum's office down the road (there's no suitable shelter inside our house at all). We've never actually been hit, but things like that are part of the reason I got a larger case for my boys - it took too much time to try and get them into the DoD case without messing up their wigs/having their legs buckle/etc. The suitcase is roomy enough, and opens fully enough, that I can do it fairly quickly.

We've never left for a hurricane (around here, we've been lucky and tended to have tropical storms or weaker hurricanes, and with my agoraphobia, it's better to stay in cases where it's mostly rain and a little wind and hopefully the power/internet lines aren't going to go down), but that's the sort of thing you have at least some warning for, so there are a lot of things that would be getting packed up and put in the truck if we ever did have to go - not just the dolls.

I've always figured if the house catches fire, it's more likely I'm going to die trying to get the computer unhooked than anything else - if I don't save that, there's no point to me making it out anyway. I understand if other people value lives above belongings, but that is my life. I can chuck the dolls and the animals out the window with no real time lost (other than trying to peel the tinfoil off the window and get it open).

4. Strangely enough I was evacuated from my home a few days ago because of wildfires, and my doll was one of the first things in my arms when I started getting my stuff.

5. Nothing like living on a fault line! I think if we were hit with a big earthquake right now, my priority list would be family, pets and then doll. And then making sure I don't have something stuck in me or cut off. "It's just an arm. I'm young! I'll grow it back." :)

6. I think it's pretty safe here, I wouldn't want to even imagine a disaster. So much stuff I would want to save, including my dollie ofcourse :P

7. Flooding is really the only concern where I am, and my dolls live on the third floor of my house. So unless there was an extremely tall flood, I think they'd be safe just where they always sit.

8. The worst I get in this part of Maryland, is frankly nothing.
      But fires, ooh that's a big one, lucky I keep my dolls near at hand and my little sis wakes up as soon as I yell. I would leave grandma to my ma and probably get my great grandma ashes if I could.

9. I am in an area where the major natural disasters don't -tend- to strike. My state (Delaware) has had a handful of tornadoes in my lifetime, but they are small and infrequent. Once in a long while, we get hit by the tail end of a hurricane and get flooding, but this tends to be focused in other parts of the state. Usually, the most damage in my immediate area comes from the annual summer thunderstorms, and old trees coming down (onto things) from fairly normal storm winds. Two years ago, we had a tree in our yard literally split in half (despite it being healthy, thank you, lightning!) and we were very fortunate that it fell -away- from the house rather than toward it, as it would have taken out my bedroom had it gone in the other direction.

I'm actually a little less concerned about natural disasters than I am about unnatural disasters, as I live within a mile or two from a number of chemical manufacturing plants.

10. The only disasters we have are blizzards and rarely tornadoes.

11. I count myself lucky because the worst I have is rain. However, if something big happened and I was given the time to grab things after I made sure my mum and two brothers were out, the next would be my laptop, a marble star statue that is very personal and sentimenal to me and then my limited dolls. I say limited because the others are replacable in my eyes.

But yeah, my first priority is to get all living things to safety :)

12. Thats a bad question to ask me, I have a bad fear of natural disasters >.< Well I'll be only having one BJD for now, and I have house insurance ^^

13. Only disaster type things I have heard of happening in the U.K is flooding, in areas where I don't live...so it's never something I have had to think on. Honestly though, I normally have one of my dolls at my side when at home and the rest a few feet away, so I would proberbly try pile them into the doll carriers, provided -someone- else is in the house with me to get the cats out as best we can.

Though if it was bad in a "going to die if we don't move instantly" situation, or a family member was hurt and needed help, I'm afraid I would just have to mourn the loss of my resin afterwards.

14. It's interesting to me that some are saying you have "no time" with tornado warnings. That may be true in the event that the tornado plops right down on your city. Maybe it's just that my family always has TVs on, but you can sort of "tell" when the weather is tornadic (when I was a kid, "tornado watch" meant to gather up the things you couldn't live without in a bag just in case) and just because the sirens go off doesn't mean the tornado is anywhere near you. I've sat through at least a dozen tornado warnings and have yet to SEE a tornado.

If the sky is dark and the clouds are bumpy, it would be a good idea to pack things up if you can. It happens that tornadoes pop out of a beautiful blue sky, but it's rare.

Now a FIRE ... I would say to get out ASAP. I would go for my computer and that's about it. I mean, it depends on degrees of smoke and flames, too. But probably just the computer if I didn't think I had much time.

There was a 5.0 earthquake this morning and even my precariously balanced dolls didn't move. But a 5 is really nothing. Not in Tokyo, at least.

15. There's just me here to worry about and my dolls are usually right by me. So yeah, I'd grab them.

16. I used to hate fire drills at school, and you had to leave your bag in class, and I'm one of those people who loves her stuff and I didn't want to loose my sketchbook and was freaked out.

I still worry now, a few years ago we had a fire scare, and so I've made an emergency box that has all the stuff I couldn't bare to loose in it, my photos and letters from friends and stuff like that, and I keep it in my room close by and it has enough room to shove in a few last minute things.

Now I've got my BJDs I have no idea, we had a quake the other day which was pretty scary, but I'd grab them for sure, luckily Eve is tiny and I only have one big boy at the moment.

Ahh I'm going to go through my box again... Maybe get a bigger one XD

17. We have no natural disasters where I live. (Stockholm, Sweden..) In the case of fire, I would maybe try to resque my first doll if I was in my bedroom, but there are other things I also would want to bring.. And probably I would be too freaked out to think of bringing anything at all.

When I lived in Japan, I worried about earthquakes.. My dolls were always sitting on a baby chair on a soft carpet, so they wouldn't get damaged if they might fall.

18. The only natural disasters I have where I live are hurricanes (yeeeah, Texas coast, wooo~) While hurricanes are absolutely devastating, the one thing that makes me prefer them over any other natural disaster is that you get an early warning AND they can be tracked (considering how big they are and how long it takes for them to actually make landfall). Fortunately, most hurricanes tend to somehow go around where I live, or make a random beeline to the east. Ike, however, sat right over us for hours. x__x; So I went to go sleep in the downstairs bathroom - the only room with a wall not facing the outside and not close to the roof... - bringing along my computer, flashdrive, and my only doll at the time ^__^;
      If we had any other sort of natural disaster here, though, one where there wasn't enough time to get your stuff together, my dolls would probably be one of the last things I thought of. Honestly, when I'm at school before they let us out for a hurricane (usually two days before landfall) I worry about my family and my pets. :(

19. Luckily i am in a place where natural disasters aren't dominant... But if there were something i would grab them and put them in the car because i know if i were to leave it would be by the car...

20. Our home isn't on the floodplain in London, so flooding isn't a worry - and whilst we did have a tornado here in London a couple of years back, that's an incredibly rare occurrence so I think I can safely discount that as a possible danger. That only really leaves the possibility of a house fire. My priority in that case would be to get the kids and the cat out first; but if it were possible to grab any of the dolls without endangering myself after that, I'd make a grab for Eric and Kai - Eric being my hands-down favourite, and Kai being the doll that got me into the hobby in the first place. I'd desperately hope my other dolls made it OK too though.