1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

When Natural Disasters Attack

Sep 2, 2009

1. The fear of a sudden disaster popping up and what I'd save first has probably crossed my mind a few too many times for the small number of disasters here in TN. ^^;

But I'd be most concerned about my family and my cats getting out safely before anything else. My laptop is easy to unhook and pack away, and the only doll I have is a tiny one, so those are the only personal belongings I'd be really worried about.

I know it's not really a natural disaster, but I think I'm more afraid of the house getting broken into than tornadoes or fires. Crime is really bad here.

2. The only distaters have to worry about are earthquakes (yay california :| )
      There were the fires we had earlier, but I'm far enough from the area to not be in immediate danger, but still within range of the smoke and ash.

I've lived through my fair share of earthquakes, [I still rememebr the ones from the early 90s] so I know what I have to do should an earthquake strike. Its "The Big One" I'm worried about. If we're hit by a strong earthquake while at home, I would help my parents and grab my sisters and take them somewhere safe. While I love my doll, I value my life and my family's much more.

3. When it comes to any sort of emergency I really suck. We don't get many natural disasters at all in the UK - luckily - but I've felt two earthquakes before. Both times I sort of just... freeze and wait for it to stop. (This applies to any emergency, for instance when my brother was choking. Good job mum was there.) :sweat

So if we had any natural disasters here I don't think me or my (future) dolls would be going anywhere :nowords:

4. Really in my area we don't get many natural disasters. Supposedly we get earthquakes but I have never felt one (is knocking on wood like crazy). A fire would be my main concern, and even then, my pets come first! With 7 rats, 2 mice, a chinchilla, 2 dogs, and 6 cats to find and shoo outside, there is no way I'd have time to get my dolls. Although I am definately thinking along the lines of AgentPanda, just in case I some how have the time left over, but then again I usually have several of my dolls sitting around in random parts of the house, and even if I did have time to fetch them I probably wouldn't have time to find them.
      .........I just realized I need to get them insured >.< that'd be my best bet in a disaster

5. If my dolls were at hand when the disaster struck, I wouldn't mind taking them with me on my way out. Of course, I drop them if somebody needed help or I must take something more important. A few months ago we had tornado warnings while I was at work. When I came home, I found two of my dolls set up in the basement. Apparently my little sister decided to take them with her when she went down there for safety. :lol:

6. Actually, if there was a natural disaster, like an earthshake or something, first, i'd have mre important things to think about rather than save my dolls. There are lots of important things in my house, and all of them are equally important, like my computer, my dolls, my drawing archivie etc. But mostly, like everyone else would do, i wouldn't think about my dolls at all, but rather about saving my own life and helping my parents or friends. So, in case of real life danger, my dolls wouldn't be my main concern.

7. Well....up here at school in Montana, if a natural disaster hits...I'm toast anyways. The only real natural disaster I have to worry about in this area is if Yellowstone decides to finally erupt. Forget worrying about the dolls, I'm DEAD. :lol:

Back home in Houston, though, there's the hurricanes to worry about. I live in the bend-over-and-kiss-it-goodbye section on the evacuation map - meaning I'm probably going to have my roof ripped off and my house partially flooded, but I should still survive if I don't evacuate, so the city wants me to stay put and keep the evacuation routes filled with the people who really need them. Luckily hurricanes are super easy to prepare for. You see them coming a few days off, so you have plenty of time to wrap your valuables in waterproofing, get them someplace safe, and plop down and wait.

...I feel bad for the people who have other natural disasters like tornadoes and earthquakes to deal with. Hurricanes are so easy to prep for in comparison. D:

8. I find the title of this thread funny. Natural disasters dont attack.. they just happen.

Anyway. There arent many natural disasters here in Alaska. We have a few earthquakes every now and then. We did have a valcano errupt a few months ago, but it wasnt that big so nothing happened where I lived. (Everyone was freaking out about it though "oh no! alaska is going to blow up!" :lol: )

We have had a few forest fires, darn globel warming and all.. But they have been kept under control, the smoke has been bad is all.

Im more concerned with UN-natural disasters. There are alot of old people in my appartment building.. and even though they arent supposed to smoke inside, they still do.. so Im more worried about a fire starting. If it did happen, if I had to get out in a rush it would be just me and my dog. But if I felt I had enough time to grab some things, Id deffidently grab at least one of my dolls and my laptop and tablet, and my camera. Id probably go and pop my head out of my appartment first to see if it was a real fire though.. The alarm actually goes off rather often.. and most the time nothing is wrong. x.x

9. There's really no disaters where I live. No hurricanes, volcanoes, tsunamis, ect. Tornadoes never really happen except down south. The only real problem would be fires (we've recently had a fire ban in effect...I thinks it's still going on).

Therefore, with my future doll, I think i'd do what i usually do. Keep things in easy to reach places. With my doll, I'm planning on leaving him and his stuff in a bag/carrier thing I have when I'm not playing with him or when he can't come out because of hectic house activity. that way, if I am at home and have to evacuate, there's an easier chance of me being able to just grab his bag and run. Although...the more I get might make this harder.....:|My laptop would fit in there too, and my camera so I'd grab those if i could as well.

OT, I think it'd be interesting to train my cats in the future to get into their carriers on a certain signal, so that i can haul them out of a fire as well :sweat....the poor future sphynx cats wouldn't do well in a fire...:|No fur and all.

10. Oh, i'm from Indonesia, too. Jogja, precisely...

I think whenever it happens, i save my life first. I won't think about BJD. JOgja has a quite big earthquake a few years ago, about 6,3-6,4 ricther. My house is 1 floor and it was so shaky.

It wasn't BJD but while ago while i was still living in a mountain, flood happened. Husband's O2 was drown. I didn't have time to save it since it was quick! My husband said to me: the most important is you are ok.

Some things are unavoidable...so, when it happens, it hurts but well, when it's unavoidable, it is un-avoidable...we must accept it like it or not...

Anyway, I always put my BJD in the box along with all of her pillow. Put her in my cupboard. Stuff on the same partition with those BJD are the light ones. I don't put her along with hard or heavy weight stuff like books, etc. it's also on the top of the partition, so there will be no 'threat' from above...

11. I'm also from Indonesia^^
      When Jakarta was stuck by earthquake, I only grab my handphone and run outside, also call my familly to come outside. my dollie not as important as my familly (and my hp)^^ I don't even remember doll at that time.

12. I think the only natural disaster risks here are fire and flooding. If either of those things happened here, making sure my boyfriend, my cats and rat were all safe would be priorities. My rat Atticus is kept in a cage downstairs so depending on the severity of the flooding, him drowning would be a potential issue :(

I like to think if I was fortunate enough to have the time to rescue luxuries (which I count my dolls as) I'd get them, as well as my mobile phone, but they certainly wouldn't be something I'd immediately think to rescue.After all, it would be sad to lose them, but they're a lot easier to replace than pets and family.

13. I'm in Kansas, so tornados or lightening-set fire, are the only really big threats. Don't have any dolls yet, but I'd probably do the same thing with them as I do with my model horses. That is throw the resin Arabian into the locking credenza or set of drawers, grab the cat and run downstairs. (Although If I'm downstairs it would be just run upstairs grab the cat and scoot). Yes, I'd be very saddened to lose my dolls and model horses, but I'd feel even worse losing my cat and dogs. EC

14. Here in Arizona would be the occasional nasty monsoon storm or flash floods.

But if I would have time to take them, I would. If I only had like 5 minutes to leave, I'd grab my dog & purse and book it.

15. haha xDDD well, i couldnt think of anything better, and some people say it like that, I guess its because ussually things get destroyed in natural disasters, thats why they call it an attack?

but then again, its called natural... ( '_')

16. I would guard her with my life!

NO doubt I'll be adding my EXPENSIVE doll to my insurance-covered items in case of something like that...augh!

17. I've had a terrible phobia of all sorts of natural disasters pretty much my whole life.
      As a child and teen, I'd have escape and safety strategies I'd go over in my head before going to sleep every night. It was pretty crippling.
      However, as an adult, while some of those fears and phobias still remain, I realize what's more important: my life, my fiancé, and our cats. As irreplacable as a couple of my dolls are (one is a customized collaboration by myself and a friend...her head was totally modified), those three would come first.
      Where I'm living currently, it's a temporary situation, and the only threat is flooding, which doesn't usually kill, nor would it damage dolls beyond repair.

18. The worst disaster that happens is flood, then fire, little bit of earthquake, volcanoes and almost no tornadoes. (only in the provinces I think) There's always a bit of flood whenever it rains continuously in my country and only during super typhoons/storms is the flood level dangerous. Fires mostly happen in squatters area and factories. So there's nothing to really worry about during disasters. If ever the flood gets to the 2nd floor in the city then aside from living beings, i would first rescue my money, canned goods/food/water, computers, clothes and lastly my hobbies w/c includes dolls. A material thing can always be replaced but a life can not, is what my mother tells me. :3 nom nom nom

19. Well, with living in Pennsylvania, the only thing I worry about in a tornado. I was told that our house was built on a tornado path. Apparently when my mom was a kid (grew up in the house next door), she said that tornadoes would go through here once in a while. We haven't had a tornado here in a long time though (before I was born) and now that there's more houses here, no tornadoes will go through here. So now it's a fear of a fire. But then again, I carry my doll around with me everywhere, unless it's Sunday. I don't take him to church.