1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

When Natural Disasters Attack

Sep 2, 2009

1. If I have time, then yes. If I don't, then that's it for them. Sad, but true. I'd definitely try to though.

2. Thankfully I live in Florida where the worse we have is hurricanes and these we see coming at less the day or two before . But i do live in an area that floods when they hit so we have to leave. and i have a checklist :
      Cats
      Laptop
      Dolls ( in there boxs )
      once thats in the car if i have time i will grab cloths and food ;)

3. If something bad were to happen, my rule is always this: Am I near it? Can I grab it and run with it? If the answer is yes, I'd take it. If the answer is no it will have to fare on it's own. It would be painful to loose such an expensive doll... but I own a lot of things I'd hate to lose. Like my lovely cat, 3DS, phone, laptop, camera, my fish (lol good luck getting them out in a disaster)... some things I prolly could never replace, like Mr. Patches who is a plush dog I've has since I can remember basically, old sketchbooks, ect.

So the answer is, if it was where I could grab it without wasting time, I'd grab it. Like if I were in my room and tornado sirens went off... sure I can grab my doll. If I'm outside? I'm not gonna sprint to my room then the basement, you know? As expensive as dolls are, they can generally be replaced. Their owners.... not so much. lol

4. Well the worst thing that normally happens in my area is hurricanes so generally if i know one is coming my way I would just pack my dolls up in there boxes and stack them in my closet a few feet off the ground. There is a lot of clothes and soft stuff in my closet so if anything really went down that is the best I could do for them.

thanks for asking this question it is good to think of these things a head of time so you can be per-paired the best you can be.

5. I live in Kentucky, so our most common disaster is tornado weather....and yes, I HAVE transported 30+ dolls downstairs when the alarms started going off...and even did duck and cover with my two favorites. >.>

Kentucky weather is stupidly unpredictable, we've had an ice storm, blizzard, tornado and earthquake all in the same month! The snow and ice really isn't a danger to the dolls, they're safe in the house. And we don't get bad earthquakes here, just a slight rumble at most is all I've ever felt in 25+ years here, not enough to cause any damage. We do get high winds and flash flooding as well at times, but I have no basement and my house is one of the highest elevations in the neighborhood and we've never had flooding in the house (yard is a different story...) but even if we did, my doll room is upstairs and safe. Winds...same as tornado, I take them downstairs.

I DO think of my dolls before myself. But I'm not scared of tornadoes, I usually put the dolls in a safe place, then run outside to take pix. I've been in a car during a tornado and was perfectly fine after it. I know they CAN be deadly, but I figure either it's my time to die or its not...If it is, I'm going, inside or out. and if it's not, I don't want to waste my time hiding.

6. I find things in this thread interesting. I live in Canada, we have few natural disasters to be honest in comparison. I live in northern BC, so really all I have to worry about are forest fires and blizzards. Fires usually have warnings and blizzards are not hazardous to dolls.

The part I find interesting...is...the computers. Why the computers? I personally don't have anything on my computers that I would even think of grabbing them. Even though they hold a lot of photos, I don't usually think of it.

I have 3 cats though, and they are what worry me. Cats have a tendency to hide under crap when loud noises go off (like fire alarms). I worry about getting them out. I had to leave one cat once when the apartment building I lived in had a fire in the underground garage and I was a basket case. House fires are one of my phobias. I don't even know why.

I like my dolls, but honestly.....living things are way more important for me.

7. Well, I don't care enough about my dolls to risk my life or other lives for them. There's already been a couple small earthquakes since I got back to Japan but nothing big. If I'm not near my dolls I'd just hope they're okay but they're not a priority. I'd rather protect my friends or my computer/hard drives anyway. My laptop and hard drives contain many more important memories than my dolls.

The only precautions I've taken in case there's an earthquake is that my dolls are on my desk against the wall, if they fall they'd only be able to fall to the sides but not off the desk unless the earthquake is strong enough to upset the desk they'd be fine.

8. My region tends to get a double-whammy when it comes to natural disasters. I live on an active fault line (New Madrid Fault), and my area is also on the edge of two major tornado zones (the main "Tornado Alley" in the center of the country, and "Dixie Alley" in the south). As a result I've often thought about the threat that natural disasters pose--to my life, to my family, to my home, and to my possessions. As much as I love my dolls, I'm going to save my own skin first and then see what I can salvage or replace afterwards. That would be painful of course, but it's a heckuva lot better than dying needlessly while trying to save a possession.

9. At the start of this year, my house had to be evacuated because of potential flooding due to a cyclone and tidal surges. I packed up all my dolls in their boxes and took them with me. I guess this was easy to do as we had time to pack things. If there was a fire or something, where I had to get out straight away, I would regrettably have to leave them. They're insured, so I wouldn't lose any monetary value... But obviously there would be sentimental value lost.

10. The biggest threat we have in my area are tornadoes. Sure, if the threat isn't a "GET IN YOUR BASEMENT RIGHT NOW!" and the alarms are going off merely because there has been a sighting in the area, I'll grab my dolls and put them in the basement just to be safe.

Honestly though, my pets and family are more important...As hard as it would be to lose my dolls, they are somewhat replaceable where-as those living in my house are definitely not.

11. I had my thoughts on this acid-tested earlier on this year, during the Tohoku aftershocks. Apparently, when in a small room where pretty much everything I might want to take is nearby (And I know that my dog is safe, eight thousand miles away in the UK), I first get my quake bag (Ready packed - A couple of MREs, two litres of green tea, a torch, a fleece, and Dettol, with a slot for my laptop and phone), then my shamisen. Apparently, my dolls just weren't a priority.