1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

When, or if you do have children, do you intend to give your dolls away to them?

Jun 25, 2009

1. When I die my daughters can have them! My oldest daughter has no interest but my younger horse crazy daughter likes them and has 3 but they live with mine. She only plays with them once in a while and doesn't seem to have any interest in joining the hobby. She will probably sell them and buy a horse.

2. Well, kids are a long way off for me. :P But I still like to think about it now and then.

I think I'd buy them each their first doll, if they truly showed an interest. I wouldn't demand that they save up for their first simply because I remember how difficult it was for me to save up as a kid (although in my family, kids don't really get allowance; I guess that's different for some people). I'd buy it as a Christmas or birthday gift, probably (once they're old enough to care for it). I wouldn't give them any of my dolls simply because I'm too attached and I think they should choose their first sculpt and make sure it's one they really want.

I would be ecstatic if my kids showed an interest. I really hope they do so we can share the hobby, haha. XD

3. I don't plan on having kids, but if my brother or sister do, I'd like to leave my doll to them and keep it (and the dresses I've sewn) in the family rather than having it sold.

4. If I have children I would give them to them if they showed interest.

5. Hmmm well my kid is still young. So that's a no-no. He's also a boy. I doubt he would be interested. But who knows? There's so many guys into anime having those DD dolls with huge boobs lol.

Even if I have a daughter in the future and she does get interested in dolls, I would imagine that she would have a (new) doll of her own. Because dolls are very personal imo, especially if you customize them quite abit.

Also not sure whether my doll would be able to last so long.... that might be some 20 years down the road! As I don't view bjd as kids toys.... they're too expensive/ fragile/ complicated care for young kids to have imo. For Teens, probably ok. There are other dolls in the market out there that are for young kids to play with.

6. I don't have any kids yet, and I'm not sure I'd like any for a while, but, I have a little sister that I kind of think of as my child in a sense.
      I want to buy her a smaller doll or something like a hujoo when she's old enough to appreciate it, and if she shows an interest and if I'm dead she can have the babies. :sweat

7. My son has already claimed my 5star Michelle if I ever decide to re-home her, so yes my dolls would go to him I guess. They can be friends with Transformers.

8. Nope~ c: I wouldn't give my dolls away to my children; if they were interested in the hobby, however, I'd more than gladly help them choose their own! There no real point on passing on dolls I've already loved and customized and are already so very old on top of everything -not to mention I'd both still want them around as well as wouldn't like to pass on my characters with the dolls- but to be able to enjoy my hobby with them would be wonderful!

9. My kids are all teenagers and show no interest in my dolls at all though surprisingly they don't tease me about them. My grand daughter who is one likes to play with them so I will most likely share them with her and give her some of them in the future. I always tell my kids that if something should happen to me to make sure she gets my dolls!

10. I have no interest or intent to have children at any point. That said, so far I have two adorable nieces, and another sibling who just got married last year so I'm sure more kids will be on the way sooner or later. The nieces I have are very young (3 and 2), much too young to even know about my dolls yet, but as they get older, if they did show an interest, I would certainly work out that they could have any and all of my collection that they would want.

It's actually somewhat like what my own aunt did; in her will, she left all her property to myself and my siblings, to be distributed when we reached the age of 18. Part of what she had was a doll collection (Cabbage Patch Kids), which was ultimately divided as "we will each take two and work out selling the rest to split the money later." (We... still need to do that part.) I still have those dolls, and they will always remind me of that aunt. However, because of the difficulty of selling them now, I do plan to make a list of information about company, sculpt, modifications, etc for each doll, so that, if no one does want them, they can be sold with more information than what we have currently on my aunt's dolls.

11. I have a feeling my kids won't appreciate dolls like I do. My mom has a porcelain doll on display in the basement, and I don't find her face appealing at all. I would expect my children to find their own doll that appeals to them, if they are interested at all. The fact that I am so into them will probably make them 'uncool' to my kids :P

12. I have two girls and both just love my dolls. Granted one is less than a year at present and can not handle them, but every time she sees them she smiles and starts talking to them. My older girl loves them and has held them but she's too fearful to do much else. When I die, my girls will get my dolls. I have sold one doll, a pukifee, because my baby did get a hold of her and with the tiny hands coming off, well I just couldn't risk it.

13. I doubt my future children would have much interest in them while I'm alive, which is just as well because they would never leave my possession as long as I'm breathing. I really would not blame them if they were terrified of them (I mean really, by that time they will probably look kinda scary) but I would hope if there was one doll that was really special to me they might keep it around after I'm gone, not out of love for it, but out of respect for me.

Slightly on-topic: We kept some of the great-great-aunties' dolls, and still have them in the hutch in the dining room, and I was so scared of them when I was young that I wouldn't go get a drink in the night because I would have to walk right by their line of sight. My mom tried to fix this by making a pair of silly pipe-cleaner glasses for the largest one, but I was even more mortified thinking she might be angry.

I still hold my breath when I open that particular cabinet and never make eye contact. (Their eyes freakin' point in two directions at once and they have all those TEETH and those frozen, afflicted expressions of unrest!) But I'm very glad we still have them because it's a real slice of family history and with the notes and pictures that go with them, a sort of portrait of someone who was related to us but got to live in a different period. When it comes time, I will probably take them myself. (And never-ever display them, locking them in a capsule in the attic until I die.) In the same way I would hope my future kids might appreciate having a piece of their ancestry to pass on as much as I do, because a lot of people have no idea where they came from and frankly, that's a shame.