1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

When, or if you do have children, do you intend to give your dolls away to them?

Jun 25, 2009

1. My 6 yo daughter already got one of my Blythes away from me (Blythe is loved, but man her hair looks sad). She also has my French Kitties and constantly has her eye on all my bjds. She will definitely get them someday and some of her own as well, but I think I am going to start her off with a Hujoo and then maybe move on to a BBB 1/6th or something like that. She needs to be a bit more responsible before I actually hand over the first resin doll, but I could never deny her these dolls that make me so happy -- I love her too much.

2. I don't think my children will play with my dolls.acturally ...

3. Hmm, difficult to say. I'm still so young, I don't have the dolls I want yet, and I don't even think I want children...

When I was a kid, I was very clumsy with delicate things like china dolls, breaking off fingers and ruining hair and such, but I really loved them, along with stuffed animals. I'd pet and hug and drag around and admire and talk to them. I may be more careful with delicate things now, but I definitely let myself care personally about such things as dolls a lot more as a child. I think if I grew up still loving dolls, and had children, if my kids showed an appreciation of dolls similar to how I did, I would give them a doll, or let them play with them. Or play together. I don't know. Maybe I would buy them new ones instead, since my own would be all old and damaged anyway.

But if my kids got somehow personally attached to my own dolls somehow, and didn't want some new doll or anything, I would go ahead and let them have one. Or the whole collection, if I'm not as interested in dolls by then. Who knows, really. But definitely if my kid showed a love of my dolls as I had once loved my dolls and toys, I would let them have it. They were very important to me emotionally as a child, and I'd hate to deny my own children that over some bit of greedy sentimentality... or paranoia that they might damage the pricey doll.

ali

4. We don't have kids and don't want any in the future. I have never thought about where my dolls will go - I have a lot of them and I think they'd be a burden to dump on someone if they weren't into them. Maybe by the time I go (I hope!) these dolls will be collectable heirlooms and maybe my neices/nephews/godchildren will be able to donate them to a museum. If not I don't really care what happens to the dolls - they'll probably end up at a Junk Shop. I'd be more concerned with my art, diaries, the ashes of my pets and any living pets I'll have at the time. I like my dolls but once I'm gone I don't really mind what happens to them.

5. I look at it like I do my grandmothers jewelry and my other grandmothers teapot collection.
      I have no interest in gaudy jewelry (she liked shiny and big) and only really care about teapots when they are filled with tea or coffee, but they mean a lot to me so I took the jewelry she cared the most about and my mom and I sold the rest. The same with the teapots, we're dividing up the ones she cared the most about and working on finding buyers for the rest.
      It would be the same with my dolls and my children. I would want them to keep the things that meant the most to me. Be it a piece of furniture I made myself. Or some clothing. Or the doll itself. Everything else they could work on selling if they saw fit.

6. Agreed! I think if my kids will enjoy them, they should have them. Can't do much with them when you're dead. Might as well let someone else enjoy them.

7. If my children end up showing interest in the dolls, I might let them play with them when they can be responsible with them and not damage them in any way. I might agree to let them have one of their own when they are old enough, because I'd rather they have their own to mess with.

8. Hm, well my dal's are all my daughters if she wants them but my bjd's..hrm..no..I'd like for her to start collecting her own. I'd pay for a few of them of course when she's got no job and is in school or whatever, but I'm keeping mine, since I'll be collecting them well into my 40's+ =D

9. I might.. if I'm on my deathbed >.> I would probably just buy them their own.

10. I don't have any children. If I had daughters, maybe I would get them their own MSDs or something, but they wouldn't get my personal dolls.

11. I don't have a bjd yet but I'm quite attatch to what i have so if my future children really wants it, not just for the spur of the moment or something. Though i prefer that they earn it coz it would be more meaningful to them than just something they found lying around our house ^^;

12. I would give them a barbie and see how that goes! If they can look after it then maybe :p

13. If my child showed an interest in them, and were at an age where they could respect them as more than just Barbies, I would let them redress or try to take photos of them and whatnot. Supervised, of course. After all, I do this for my niece already, though with the "cheaper" dolls, like Pullips, since she is not old enough to get near the others. I think it would be fun to help cultivate their interest in dolls that way. Plus, it would be cute to see what kind of pictures they took, haha.
      But I would probably actually keep them for myself, depending on the circumstances (e.g., I might give them a doll if I didn't feel particularly attached to it and they really liked it and would take good care of it). Otherwise, my dolls will probably be left to my children in my will.

14. my girls are older and actually were into bjd's before i was. and hurrah for them, i am 62 and they won't have to wait that long before they get my collection!

15. Umm no O_O A kid is more interested in playing around with the dolls. And even if you have a very responsible kid that you know will take care of them, it's not likely their friends will be the same. Once they're older if they want one, I'd get one for them... oh wait, what am I saying, I don't even want kids xD I guess my dolls will go to a friend's kid or grandchild when I die ;_;

16. I don't ever plan to have children, so when when I pass on, I plan on willing my dolls to whoever my favourite person/people are at the time -- who are interested, of course.

Otherwise I'm not sure. I don't really think about it much.

17. Absolutely yes, i would take them away from their hands.

Of course i would teach them to be careful with them and when they grow a little, i would let them take my dolls with care and always with me near them so i could see what they do. I'll make them know that my dolls are really expensive and easy to broke, and their mom would be really angry if something happens to them... xD

If they want one, when they grow enough, i would buy one for them so the can have their own doll to take care of.

By the way... i don't plan to have children xD I don't think too much about it, but i know i wouldn't let them take my dolls as if they were toys. They're not Action Man or G.I.Joe ¬¬UUU You can't put them a parachute and throw them from the window... **shivers**

18. No. I dont even have to think about that. If I ever have children, which doesnt seem likely.. I wouldnt let them have my dolls. Young children tend to be very rough and unresponsible with their own toys.. and most children today see their things as "throw away" toys.. they get them, play with them, break them, then want another one.. They arent taught to care for their toys like they used to be..

That reminds me of when my mom came home once, when I lived at home a few years ago, and her car had bags full of children books and toys.. I remember asking her where she had gotten them from and she told me "Oh.. your sister was throwing them away so I brought them home for my class."...x.x There was alot of nice toys and books and so I remember taking some of the books. I still have most of my children books, and several of my old toys.. so it saddens me that my sister would just throw her daughter's children books away.

So no, I wouldnt give my dolls to my children.. I would consider buying them their own doll when they are responsible enough to take care of them.

19. I think my dolls will always remain my own. My son is 2 and has shown a lot of interest in them but he's generally really good around them He points to them and says "dolls" but he particuarly like's the YO sized ones as says "ahhh baby!". He tends to grab the DZ BB Leo but I don't mind because he was free anyway from Dollzone and also because he hugs him and is really careful. That said, if my son does show real and genuine interest in them as he gets older I would buy him a doll- he can't have mine hehehe! He could dress them and play with them of course which would be quite cute if he gave them all voices and played with them for real, something which unfortunately I cannot do anymore as I'm a Growed Up hehe :D

20. dolls are very much mine, to be honest. I got my first bjd when I already had a daughter. she's two years old and I must say she really likes my dolls, but, when she's old enough she can have or save up for her own doll, rather then giving her one of mine. My son is still only six months old and has more interest in chewing on my fingers.
      my bjd are mine, intended for storywriting and such, not to be playthings for my kids, they have their own toys.
      @absynthe: my daughter does the same thing, points and goes 'doll!' (in dutch of course) she likes them very much, but she's got her own dolls, when she's older she might still be interested in bjd, we'll see then.