1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

When, or if you do have children, do you intend to give your dolls away to them?

Jun 25, 2009

1. It depends if they're interested, I suppose. If they are, of course I would will my dolls to them! How nice that would be if they were appreciative of a hobby that I really love! If not, I'd leave instructions detailing how to sell them (with how much they're worth) either on the boards or eBay. If my family can't enjoy the dolls themselves, I'd at least want them to enjoy the dolls' worth. That's the least I can do, I think.

2. At some point, depending how many dolls you have, downsizing is something at least I see in my future. I would want to keep a few dolls till "the end", but could see giving away, willing or selling most of the others.

3. Given my "advanced maternal age" ;) and the fact that my two pre-K sons are human wrecking balls on wheels, I think I am going to Will to be buried with them. ( Not the Human wrecking balls.)

4. If they are mature and old enough to keep the hobby then I have no reason not to. If they show great interest why not. One thing I would not like is if they sell it. :(

5. Interesting points guys, I'm very intrigued by what some of you guys would do in the end hahahah

6. I do have kids, two boys. Right now at their ages I can't really see it. My youngest has a strong interest in the dolls, but he is 4 and I swear the worlds first perpetual motion machine. He doesn't mean to be destructive, it's just his nature. My oldest is probably old enough to handle dolls and take care of them but his interest is limited. But even if they were incredibly interested and a good bit older I can't see actually giving my dolls to them. I have these dolls because they are my hobby, it wouldn't make sense to just give them away. If my boys were interested and asked for their own doll I might consider, making them earn it or giving it as a gift as the case may be. But I wouldn't give them my personal dolls. They have too much emotional value to me. I can't say what I will do with these dolls "in the end". That is hopefully a very long time from now. I can't even guarantee I will still be interested in these dolls 10yrs from now let alone into advanced age. Who knows where I will be when the end finally comes.

7. funnily enough my married daughter was visiting the other week. She put dibs on a couple of my dolls, not the resin ones though, she likes my antique compos!

8. I would help my kids get their own too... but I agree that I would probably Will them...

9. My daughter introduced me to BJDs and I can't even give her one. She doesn't like them. I don't get it. She loves cute Asian stuff, but doesn't like my dolls. She did see a Pyramid Head mod she really loved and said she'd only have one of my dolls if she could mod it to look like PH. I said no. :lol:

10. That's something I find very cool about these dolls. They have an heirloom quality to them. If I had children, and they showed signs of liking them I don't see any reason NOT to pass them on.

11. I think on that distant day in the far far future I would want the dolls to be 'Sunday Specials'. Sort of a reward? Like 'you've been a great kid all week so you get to play with my toys for a day'... definitely something for a careful child though.

12. I would love for my dolls to become family heirlooms, but I would not give them to my children until the time of my death, explaining to them that they are to be passed down to the future generations. We are very "heirloomy" people so I imagine it will work. But if my kids want thier own dolls that will be arranged.

13. Sure, if they want them. I think it would be fun to share my toys with any future kiddos! I know when I was younger, I really treasured my mother's old toys and very much enjoyed playing with them. (I still have one of my mom's battered old dolls, and it's very precious to me!)

After I'm gone, of course, they can do whatever they want with the dolls. If they like them and want to keep them, great. If the dolls have any value and they'd rather sell them to fund something else, that's great, too--glad I could help. I'll be dead, so I really won't care much ;)

14. Hell no!! Mineminemine!! :lol:

I agree that if the children WILL be impressed and will be able to care about something soooo...expensive :sweat and enjoyable (??) xD well...I'll probably let them to get their own, but nothing like "When you'll be blahblahblah I'll give you my dollies" :lol:

Maybe if I'll die...but...probably...no...I'll take them to my grave!! :lol: Really, I think I won't be able to just hand over something that's so dear to me...Even now when someone just touch Feilong I'm already like :roar :sweat :lol:

No help for me...:XD:

15. I'm not necessarily willing to make the assumption that I'll still be interested in BJD when I'm 75 -- I might be, but that's a long time, so it's certainly not guaranteed. If it turns out that I am still collecting and/or have my dolls stashed somewhere, I would probably give my adult children the choice on whether to keep or sell them. If they wanted them for sentimental reasons or because they had developed an interest, that'd be fine, but if they didn't care, I wouldn't want to saddle them with what essentially boils down to really expensive knick-knacks. They could sell them off and split the money, and I'd really be fine with that.

If through some unlucky stroke of chance I happened to die at a fairly young age, when my children were still pretty young, I'd leave the decision-making process in my husband's hands. I suspect he would either give them away to friends of mine who enjoy BJD, or save them to show to the kids when they're older. Either way, I'd be dead at the time, so I don't think I would care too much anymore. :)

16. Well I certainly wouldn't give them MY dolls! Not that I'm planning on having kids, but if I did and they were interested in having one of their own, I'd offer to pay half the total cost if they could raise the other half themselves. It would also be nice to sit down and look at various dolls with him/her/them too ^^

17. NO! I'm going to be a mean mommy!

18. I think when I have kids I'd consider getting them one of the cheaper dolls even at a fairly young age if they displayed an interest in mine. I managed to play with china dolls (dragged it around with me) as a young girl without ruining one beyond repair...and the heartbreak I experienced when I did break one's leg just taught me 1) how to fix it, and 2) to be more gentle with things I love.

Of corse, this is on a kid by kid basis! And I can say anything I want now, I bet it'll change by the time I have kids...children seem to change everything.

19. No, never. If I ever have kids and they develop an interest in my dolls - great! But they're still my dolls, purchased to represent my original characters. I'd never give them away to anybody, not relatives and not friends. If I die, I'd rather have them 'die' with me, if that means they get destroyed or I take them with me, I don't know. A little too early too think about that.

20. huh.. great question ;) I think I wouldn't give my girls to my children (if I had them) because if they loved BJDs just like me I would like them to choose their own favourite model or doll and to develope their own collection. ;) But if I die there will be definitely someone who owns them ;)