1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

When the character of your doll grows up...

Jan 18, 2009

1. I don't think it would be odd to have both age dolls. I have two dolls that represent the same character in different stages of their life (baby version, grown up/teen version), and I'd love to have a "child" version and "adult" version for the in between and last stage of their lives.

Having said that, I obviously am not for selling the "old" representation of his or her age. I'd keep them, I don't find it weird, because they don't have to necessarily be at the same timeline in character as they are when they sit on my shelf.

As for an IC reason, I don't think I would need one, I wouldn't mix their ages "officially", only in OOC photoshoots, so it doesn't really count in my book. :sweat

I would love to have younger and older versions of my other dolls, but... one thing at a time. :P

2. My twin tinies Charlie and Lucy will eventually grow up into SD form. Their younger brothers are already in adult form, so I want my whole family to be so. I'll still keep their child versions though because I like having them at different stages.

3. I have one 'MSD-SD' pair with plans of a second one later on when the appropriate sculpts are decided on. This year I plan on buying a baby version of one of my MSDs. I also have an SD with an optional 'younger' head (the same mold with a younger faceup), and am trying to find a second Elfdoll Lydia head so I can do the same thing with his girlfriend. All of these dolls co-exist - they just belong to different timelines. Usually I don't sit two dolls together and have them interact with each other unless they're from the same timeline, as it always seems a bit weird to me when I do. The story the characters/dolls are from spans 84 years, so almost the entire cast grow from young children into adults, into elderly folk and beyond. It was inevitable that there would be some aging dolls somewhere along the line.

Benjamin, the MSD version, was my second doll. He's incredibly dear to me and will never be going anywhere. I don't really feel that he 'needs' to grow up, and the doll will always be 8 years old to me. The main reason I started to think about aging Benjamin at all was because of Jaden, his little DOC Si brother. That character is born when Benjamin is 10, and therefore the two looked wrong being the same age at the same time. I bought older Benjamin because Jaden looked out of place. Now that he has his big brother, Jaden has someone to sit and look 'right' with and I'm a lot happier with his presence :) Also, I couldn't resist when I saw the Dolkot Kiss and his incredible resemblance in one of the photos to one of Benjamin's arrival pics, when he still had blue eyes. It was uncanny to me. That pout is exactly the same at the Ttori's, IMO.

As for my other two SDs, I don't have two versions of them and don't really plan on getting them. Mainly because I can (and have) dressed my MSDs up as their parents' younger selves. It works well enough for photostories, which is the only reason I'd ever really need to do it with those two.

BTW, you can see Benjamin and "Sami" in the thread Zagzagael posted earlier in this thread.

4. yea i see what you are saying. my characters have developed a lot since i first created them, but i think that i decided that they won't really age much if at all. some of the characters look older even if they are the same age as others. but yea, i think that i am expecting them to not change much in appearance. mainly their hair changes.

5. (I just know this has been asked before, but I can't for the life of me find the thread. Please merge if you do? OTL)

Hey all,

Here's my question: (btw, I humbly request some slack for being a very wet doll owner)

See, one of my couples met when one of them was still pretty young/very short. So the dolls are 60x45. I love the little guy to pieces, and wouldn't want to part with him! But well, in the story he does eventually grow into himself and gains a few inches/loses some baby fat etc., and sometimes I get the itch to have a "grown-up" doll version of him as well. But how confusing would that be! I don't think I could deal with two dolls being the same character...

Has anyone else had this conundrum? Did you decide on one or the other (young or adult), or did you end up with both? What are the pros and cons?

I'd love to hear some impressions! :) ♥

6. I don't actually own a set like this yet, but I plan to. I think it's a good opportunity to get alternate interpretations of the same character. Child/adult stands out more than normal/evil alter-ego anyway. Plus you get to use two different doll sizes to suit your mood!

7. I actually plan too when I have the money for one of my girls. :aheartbea

8. Ah, I guess I should add that I like to have as many different bodies/sizes as possible. That's tied to my thinking that a doll's character follows the head, so the bodies are interchangeable. So for me, anti-standardizing is a plus.

I'd get the child version first. After some time with her, I can get a feel for the possibilities for how she might develop "in the future". Follow one of those possible growth paths and picturing the adult version becomes much easier. If you really want to maximize your collection's uniqueness, choose a future that is contrary (but still possible) to how she is now.

9. lol... I had this going on for a very short period of time when I had two 'Siegfrieds'... the original DoC (45cm bratty child version) and the Luts SDF (adult version) :lol:

It was amusing while it lasted, just the whole idea of having two Siegfrieds and only one Dieter for them to fight over. Of course, in reality though, I soon found out I loved playing with my larger dolls more because.. well, even though Dieter and Sieg have known each other since they were very young, it just isn't right to have a 12 year old boy and a 22 year old young man be in a relationship x__X So yeaaaah... I ended up preferring having the adult Sieg and Dieter pairing more, naturally :sweat

I wish I could have kept my DoC as 'little kid Siegfried' that quite a few people had grown to love - inspite of his bratiness(sp?) - but sadly I just didn't know what to do with him. He didn't fit into my photostories, so I eventually changed his character to a different one... then when that didn't work, I sold him because I was not playing with him or even paying much attention to him anymore *_*

In short... if you think you can make it work, story-wise, and you know you'll love both dolls, then I think you should go ahead and have two dolls for your one character (a young and an older version) ^___^

10. I don't have any dolls in my collection like this, but I think it's an excellent idea! I'd love to see the pics of your dolls when you get everything put together.

11. im doing it with Alex....i started out with him as an adult (kara klum). now im waiting for a Leeke D doll to be him as child, and i plan on ordering a DM pado to be him as 10-11 year old. mostly i want pado, and they look too much alike for Pado to be anyone but Alex, but also... well, why the hell not? i love my boy and i'll love him at any age. besides it totally works for me, cause Alex is a vampire, and when he was human, he was raised by David, another one of my dolls and also a vampire. so David wouldnt age, and can be with all versions of Alex.

it makes sense, i swear...:sweat

12. For now all of my main characters except for one are planned to be SD's, my incomming girl is an MSD. Yes she starts out originally at 14 but she is very short as an adult so no need to age her up, she doesn't grow any ><

13. i don't think i would ever make my dolls grow up. it's a cute idea, and i guess it would help in character progression and what not. but i'd be too attached to them the way they would be.

14. Technically, someone could say I have a doll meant to be child like, since Kori is an MSD. But his personality is so mature, I could never see him as an 'adult' or SD, because his physique is so perfect for him right now...

Although that can always change in time, and with other dolls ^^

15. I don't think I could ever have two dolls of the same character at different ages. I'd keep seeing them as their own individual personalities, it just wouldn't work for me. I love to see other owners photo shoots with the different stages though, it's really fascinating.

16. it sometimes came to my mind~haha~but I'd rather they keep just the way and the age they are.

17. I've had one doll grow up successfully - he got a more mature face, and then a taller body. So it was like a gradual upgrade over the course of one year. My tastes simply changed.

There's another doll that I used to have, and I had plans to grow him up too. So, I sold his child-form and started looking for his adult form. It's been four years and I still haven't found it. -___-;; I wonder if he will ever come back?

18. I like the idea of having your dolls "grow up." All my dolls that I mostly plan are from a story that I have created or rather in the process of creation. My story has three stories to it. The first story is where everything builds up and is a coming of age for my main character. The second story jumps 3 years up and the plot unfolds. The third story jumps another 3 years and the climax will happen. So in actuality I would have to buy like 2 more dolls of the main character which I already have. xD;;! But I'm only having his younger self and oldest self in the story. P: So I do plan to change my dolls at one point but keep the younger version. It would make for some nice photostories/shoots. ;)

19. My dolls don't age; not even their characters age. Most of them have birthdays, but they get to permanently stay the same age year after year. The characters are formed around 'snapshots' of what that person is at this certain point in life. And I have no desire to (if I may paraphrase Vonnegut) unstick them in Time.

Some of them don't even have a single age number-value, but instead are aged "somewhere between 17 and 21" or "either 14 or 15" or "twentyish, thereabouts".

And some of the less-corporeally-based characters have no ages, and no birthdays, because they come from places that don't have Time. Miroslav, a whimsical type of freefloating incubus, particularly enjoys having 365 Unbirthdays.

(But I guess I tell a lie about never changing their body sizes: Rainey the SchoolHead B was originally built on a 60cm Ai body. But when I happened to find an SD10 body, I took the chance on it, and now Rainey is an SD10. He's still the same age, though; he just needed to find the right shape.)

20. I bought 60cm+ size bodies for all of my characters including my 10 and 12 year olds. I just dress them more like kids and hopefully I'll find a way to dress them in a m0re mature fashion as they "age". I think I'll keeep them kids for a good long while though. I so like them the way they are. :aheartbea

Besides, once you have enough 65-80cm dolls, 60cm and 57cm dolls end up looking pretty young and shrimpy. ;)