1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

When the character of your doll grows up...

Jan 18, 2009

1. My dolls don't age unless their story changes or progresses so that they need to age.
      I think one of the novelties of dolls is that they remain timeless. ^_^

2. Mine don't age, it's just because I prefer it to be that way.

3. My dolls age, as the characters they represent are from a storyline spans several years. At the very least, they'd age until a certain point before being fixed at a specific age.

Part of it is that I'm still very young, and I truly doubt that I will be a fully realized and mature person for at least a couple years. My characters have been with me for a few years now, and they've change drastically in that time, maturing as I do. This trend is definitely going to continue, so I see aging them as a reflection of my own development as a person. In the future, I wouldn't be against replacing their molds with more age-appropriate ones. It would be really impractical to age them indefinitely, but they're all still in very raw forms, and probably need a few incarnations before I'm really satisfied.

4. Both Jay and Lir are eternally a single age. They're both immortal, and they both have approximate ages, i.e. Lir's older than Jay, but they're both going to stay a single age forever.

A unicorn and a pegasus. Loves me my fantasy world. XD

5. O.o Not aging would defeat the purpose of birthdays.
      I guess. Some people base birthdays on age, for ex, my Lux is 17...next year, she'll be 18. Some people base it on how long they have bjd. Which is good, too! :D

6. Since the majority of my dolls are based off of charcters from The King of Fighters, no they don't age. In the games for some werid reason, they've always have stayed the same age.
      Doesn't mean I get out of forgetting their birthdays through. *laughs*

7. My dolls don't age. Mostly because I have this idea of their age in my head, changing their age would mess up the story. Perhaps in the future I might change it. But for now, I'm just fine with how they are.

8. I recently purchased a new body for one of my dolls. It was only slightly taller, but it made all the difference in the world! All of a sudden, she was no longer a chubby kiddo, but a pre-teen. All of a sudden she was capable of embodying the character fully, grown up and ready to take on hardships that will be thrown her way. It's still the same head, but I'm amazed at the difference!

9. I have had several dolls "grow up". Parker is my best example---he started out a 26cm IslandDoll Kevin and the character was around 8. All of my adults were MSD at the time, so scale was ok, but then I upgraded my adults to SD because I decided I like that size better than MSD. So I had him grow up that time to MSD---using a slim Impldoll child body, it was easy to keep the Kevin head with slight modding. He stayed MSD until he was around 12, when I once again had him "grow up" into a 57cm Impldoll Model body and 5StarDoll SD head. He's currently 15 and just slightly shorter than the rest of my SD adult crew, though I don't really plan for him to get any taller since his mother was very short, so I think he's done "growing". I did not keep the child versions of him.

My reasoning for this is that I roleplay my characters in continuing story lines, often for years. It would feel very weird for me if my doll had the same birthday every year, like they were stuck in time, yet had enough adventures to last for 10 years. It would be like The Simpsons---Bart is eternally 10, yet has been having Halloween, Christmas, end of the school year, etc for the last 27 years. I don't want that with my own characters, it takes away the realism in the story for me.

10. my dolls will always stay their size I brought them in cause in my eyes that is who they are

11. The youngest doll (character age-wise) is 17 and already shelled as an SD, so in a sense all of my dolls are already shelled as their "adult self" or close to it. None of my characters are children at the point in time I began writing about them, so I don't see a reason to shell them in a smaller form, even though in theory they did grow up. Unless they were formed from star dust.

12. Personally I don't see anything wrong with keeping both of them they don't have to meet (and rip a hole in the space time continuum) in the story they can be used for flash backs or dream sequences and it would be like you keeping baby pictures you were a kid once and you acknowledge that fact your character would too so there's no problem with keeping the younger shell.... to me at least