1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

When the Doll arrives... - [your regular activities?]

Jun 6, 2009

1. I've never understood the mythos surrounding the box opening, so here's what I do when I receive a doll.

Technically - open the package to inspect the doll for damage. If I have managed to obtain the doll's wig and eyes before hand, I'll put the doll together if necessary and then set the eyes and put on the wig. If the doll has no faceup, I'll still test out the eyes and wig for fit. If faceup less, I then remove the head and stick it in a box for shipping. If the doll is faceupped and ready to go, I usually take a couple of quick pics to share with my friends to get their prelim opinions on the doll and to see how it photographs.

Emotionally - Make first impression of the doll in question. I can usually tell fairly quickly whether or not a doll is for me. If something is not right, the doll is sold. I don't bother trying to see what I can do to make me like it more, it's not worth it in the long run. If I like the doll, I'll probably eventually put it all together for a photoshoot, but I store my dolls naked in their boxes, so once I've taken my first few shots, into its box it goes until I'm ready to take photos of it.

2. The first time I had already seen Shinta out of the box, next to his cousin Terry (same model doll of a friend of mine who had arranged the group order). When I opened the box and took out the 'sleeping bag' he came out feet first. I just dressed him up and put his wig on. He already had a face up so he was all done :).

Next time I get a doll, I'll make a little story of Shinta opening the box and greeting our new friend :).

3. I have a high-powered job and am hardly ever home. So it depends on when he arrives at the office, of course... if he arrives with the morning post, I schlep the box home immediately. The drivers on the #1 bus line must be getting used to seeing me stumble on board & crush other passengers with a box the size of a small child (Iplehouse, what were you smoking when you invented the EID, and why 3 kilograms each?). Luckily my office is close to home so I can walk if I have to (and if the box is not an EID).

Then I rip the box open, ascertain whether everything is there-- if anything's damaged or missing, I wanna be able to notify them right away!-- and, if I am having a slow morning at work, I take the time to dress him. Especially if it's a fullset and I'm dying to know how it all fits together. But sometimes, if I'm busy at work, I just have time for a quick examination, & then leave him sitting there on my bed till I can get back home, which leads to amusing images like this. Any prospective burglars would drop dead of a heart-attack.

If he arrives in the afternoon post, then the box sits here in my cubicle until I go home. Hopefully, in the evening, then there will be time for a full unwrapping and dressing and fully-grooving-on-new-boy ritual. I have to decide if he has a name yet, and if it's a pre-picked name, does it stick to him? and where he will sit on the shelves, and whose wardrobe he can pilfer from for starters... And then I do the truly geeky step of cataloguing him. This ritual consists of jotting down his name, sculpt/release info, and arrival date on a Post-It. :XD: And then adding it to the stack of other Post-Its, which is stored (don't ask) in the eyeball box. High class routine, hm?

There are almost never any photos until the weekend, because I'm never home during daytime hours when the good lighting happens. Call it a form of delayed gratification.

4. When I opened my first doll, I was way too nervous to do more than look at him. I was so scared I'd do something I shouldn't and mess him up, so I put him away until I could bring him to my friends with BJDs and find out what to do. xD

But the second time taking him out we got him all painted and at once put him in some clothes and got him aquatinted. x3

5. My first bjd arrival was different from others since.

Technically: Take pics of closed box, open box take pics of each stage. Make sure girls faceup is good and not damaged, (she came fully dressed), pose her and take more pics, post pics to friends.

Emotionally: watched the emails for her EMS # getting closer and closer until she arrived safely at my post office feeling sick until she did. Once there Dropped everything and ran to pick up. Got her home and with camera in hand dug into box admiring all the goodies that came with her. Freed her from bubblewrap and posed her everywhere I could think of gently. Was afraid of marring her WS. :lol: Admired her cuteness with gleeful squeals. Then cropped together pics to make a cute arrival photostory while she sat on my desk.

All arrivals since then: Still watch he EMS tracking, but no more box opening pics. I just jump in, check to be sure everything is there and in once piece. Then Dress and pose with a few pics to show friends (and yes there is still the traditional awe staring at the pretties).

6. Technically, I take her/him out of the box and I prepare the doll for customizing. I've ever an idea about my new doll characterization. :sweat

Emotionally, I take her/him our of the box and I hug the new arrival. Then I dress her/him up and play a little. Finally I pose in her/him in the place I've tought for.

7. Tehnically - I open the box, try to take pictures of box opening. Make shure that the doll is not damaged or dirty. After that I took my doll, and try to stand her up and pose. Then I insert eyes, put on the wig and dress her up. Then count all the stuff sent together with doll.

Emotionally - watched EMS tracking every 15 minutes before my parcel arrived and was very nervous. When doll arrived, I started squeeing and jumped on bed with the box to open it. While I opened the box, my partner took photos, cause I couldn't do that myself. My hands was shaking like crazy when I saw my doll for the first time. I think that she is far more adorable, than in the promo pictures.
      Then I painted her make up and body blushing, and did the first photoshoot. Then sat her at my compuer table and continued looking at her :D

8. Technically - i love the ritual of opening the box - it all adds to the excitement of a new arrival. It takes ages cos of all the tape, labels etc that have to be cut through. Then into the second box, lift the pillows, and finally remove all the bubble wrap, all the while feeling more and more worked up until the final unveiling takes place.

Emotionally - I have to hug them first to welcome them properly. Then I pick out the eyes wig and clothes they will wear and spend ages posing and playing with them until i feel ready to introduce them to the rest of the family. I usually place them with one doll to look after them until they feel at home and settled.

I always name them and record their official birthday. Only then will I take photos - I don't feel like they are complete until this point:lol:

9. Oh I would like to hear about this too as since I too am waiting for my first doll. I didn't even know about the left over dust thing so this thread is very helpful already!

10. I cannot wait to open the box. So, exciting. :o

11. Well, when my first doll arrived, I took the lid off and admired her. She was absolutely precious. xD
      Next, I clothed her and put on her wig. I got her to stand, made sure she was strung well, which she was.

Sadly, I didn't have the camera to do a box opening. ;w; However, for my next doll, I'm defiantly going to do a proper box opening. xD

12. Technically: Remove from box, give a thorough looksie, check for broken or loose parts, bend joints to test the stringing and the posing, look inside the head to see what kind of mechanism holds the head on.

Emotionally: Greet, dress, straighten eyes if needed, put on wig, say "welcome home," and snap a picture!

#112 RagingMoon1987, Apr 22, 2016
      Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
    13. Technically: I open the box, taking pictures of each step along the way. Inspect the doll for damage, and dress it.

Emotionally: I meet the postman on the doorstep with a slightly manic grin (potentially scaring them xD), bring the doll inside and open it. After opening and dressing the doll, I take it over to my computer to record it's birthday/arrival date and choose a name from a list of potential names I've compiled for that doll. Then I take a few more assorted pictures with any in scale props/furniture I have for the doll and one picture of the two of us. After that I spend the next several hours sitting around with the doll on my lap.

14. Technically: Stalk the mail lady, open the box, inspect for any damage. I've bought and traded LOTS of dolls, and I think five have come in with damage, so I look closely so it can be reported and resolved quickly. Wash if it's secondhand. Then I do faceup and blushing, mods if needed, then dress the doll and take some pictures. Also restring or suede if needed.

Emotionally: Usually spend the day bonding. They already have names and stories before I bring them home, but I'll have them sit around with me while I do daily stuff, might work on their character profile or cuddle them.

15. Technically: I viciously open the package (i LOVE opening packages) and slowly take them out and closely inspect them to see if there are any nicks and what not. Then I spend some time trying one different eyes and clothes till I see what suits best.

Emotionally: Might be weird but my form of bonding is taking them around the house to see what they look like in different sources of light lol. Then I just set them with my other doll(s) and leave it be while I am on the internet searching for new wigs and clothes for them.

16. Technically- I actually let the box sit for a day or two... (Once I even waited a week..) I have the Schrödinger's cat theory.. (Haha) in which the doll could totally be smashed to bits in the box or be perfect! Or... It could be something I completely hate and regret... Or be something I completely love!
      So after I let it sit for a bit, I then wait for my home to be quiet. Then I go ahead and start the process of opening the box. I open it very slowly and carefully... Then once I pull out my little doll I unwrap her just as carefully... Then once she's out, I look her all over. Checking for damage and anything that doesn't seem right. (I've been buying a lot of latis, which have been having recent face up problems) after I look her over real well and decide if I'm alright with the face and what not. I grab my box of clothes and eyes and go to town!!! I try on everyone's wigs on the new girl... And pick out the prettiest eyes I have left in the box. Then try and find her style. I will spend quite some time doing this... Then a kiddo will wake and into the box she goes.

Emotionally- I am scared and worried while the box is being shipped... And when it arrives. The last girl I bought my mail lady threw on the ground!!! You can imagine how long I left her in the box... But once I got her out I was in awe! An happiness.

I think the fun part for me is the hunt. It's trying to find that perfect doll that I need. :}

17. Technically, I actually open up the box very slowly! I really take my time with it. It's not that I'm not excited and don't want to tear the box open and rip it to shreds, but I like savoring the moment and building up to the big reveal! So far, I haven't had the need to clean a doll right out of the box, so I can't really comment on that. I think I would avoid doing that as much as possible, but if it's really needed, I would.

Once I get the doll out of the box, I tend to stare at it in awe for awhile, and a lot of tiny excited squeaks kind of come out of my mouth involuntarily. xD I then normally spend some time playing with and posing them, and since I personally like getting all my parts needed before my dolls arrive, I then go on to dressing them up and maybe taking a couple of quick photos of them. I usually take pictures of my dolls within the first couple of days that they arrive as well, and usually I'll sneak off to my doll shelf where I display them whenever I get the chance to just to admire them.

18. I usually do they exact same thing every time I get a new doll.

1. I sit cross legged in the middle of the living room floor and take everything out of the box piece by piece and lay it around to look at everything together. And then I'll normally spend a few days just looking at the blank dolls before decided how to paint them.

2. Squeal like a kid at christmas

19. 1. I have received only one so far, expecting the next one in the next month. When the box arrives, I get the scissors, bag for trash, etc., ready and my husband set up with the camera ready to record, then slowly and carefully open each layer. I guess you can tell my large family spent all Christmas morning opening gifts. The anticipation of pleasure was palpably delicious. I set each layer aside, saving some of the protection parts like the face shield in case of being needed later. I open and examine each small package such as the certificate of authenticity, wigs, eyes, lashes and so on. The doll is opened last. When she at last is free of all wrappings, (and mine had a company face-up, basic undies and no need of washing) I carefully examine her all over, then check if she can really stand alone as promised. I then carefully put all back onto the box, throw out the trash and take my prize back to our bedroom, where we have a little reclining love seat for watching TV. There I take the doll out again and try on the wigs, pose the doll this way and that, for the next few hours.

2. I may not be wildly squealing but am extremely excited, very pleased.