1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

When The Doll You Want Is Sold Out

Aug 18, 2010

1. 1) Has a doll you've been saving for sold out at the last minute? How did you feel?
      I'd say hello and welcome to the life of a SWITCH fan, but I've only been in the BJD scene for a year and doubt what little experience I have can warrant such a statement.

But yeah, SWITCH dominates my wishlist. And they sell out before I have the funds for them. I sincerely hope to remedy this in the future.

In terms of how I feel, acute resignation, I suppose. And then comes the resolution to look for them ASAP on the secondhand market. But yes, I call SWITCH my life ruiner for a reason :) You should've seen me during the period when Ryun:R Mocha was released. I was sighing every five minutes.

2) If you could, did you wait until it got back in stock?
      If there's anything I'm thankful to SWITCH for is how they release new sculpts semi-regularly (or rerelease old sculpts in some sort of new resin color or event only sculpts limited to one worldwide hoooy boy! :[ )

But getting back, unless their policy changes, I'll scour the secondhand market for SWITCH. As far as my luck goes, it's been good.

3) Or did you buy a different doll of equal/lesser value, or continue saving for a more expensive doll?
      As a last resort, an absolutely last resort, I will consider buying the my second or third alternative sculpt for a certain character I want to shell. But that's only if I'm absolutely sure I cannot get my first choice (which is impossible. I refuse to think I won't be able to get the exact sculpt I want) (⊙‿⊙✿)

2. 1) Has a doll you've been saving for sold out at the last minute? How did you feel?
      Nope. All my dolls have been LEs so far, so I always have a good idea of how long I have to buy a doll I want. I have had to pass on dolls I wanted because I couldn't get even a layaway payment together before they were out of stock, though. That's always a pretty crushing feeling - I deal with it by reminding myself that the second-hand market and re-releases are both things that exist, and so just missing out on a first release isn't the end of the world.

I have waited until LEs were rereleased to buy them, rather than buying them second hand. I actually enjoy some of these rereleases (which are in different skin tones than the original releases) more than I think I would have liked the originals!

3) Or did you buy a different doll of equal/lesser value, or continue saving for a more expensive doll?
      If I miss a LE, I don't keep saving the money for that doll. It's often 1 or 2 years before the company rereleases them, and the secondhand market prices are often very high initially. I'd rather put any money I have towards other dolls, rather than waiting hoping for an impossible-to-predict rerelease or reasonably-priced second-hand market listing.

3. 1) I'm not in this position yet but I would probably cry.
      2)I would try to wait, but I would try and find another I liked equally as well

4. 1) Has a doll you've been saving for sold out at the last minute? How did you feel?
      I almost had this happen to me with my Dollfie Dream Momo preorder last year. I ordered on the very last day and almost thought I had missed her because of the time zone differences... I would probably cry, especially since it happened right after all of these "convincing myself" sessions to go for her...

I once waited until Chaos was resold by IoS to purchase him... However when they did finally resell him I was unable to participate and missed him... Thank god for the secondhand market. I'm also biding my time on several Switch sculpts. Knowing the company, they always rerelease their old sculpts and god only knows how fast I'm going to snatch that Taeheo and Mara when they do. Same goes for Soom, I'm patiently waiting for that one FCS they're going to include that adorable Chesire in...

If I miss a doll there's no reason to keep saving for that doll unless I need to hunt them on the secondhand market now and then (as in the case of dollfie dreams for example), otherwise I simply move on to the next doll on the wishlist and bide my time with the missed limited.

5. 1) Has a doll you've been saving for sold out at the last minute? How did you feel?
      If it's going to go back in stock-- no problem. It's not as if I'll never have a chance. Sure, it's annoying, but that's just life.

If I can't wait, then I probably don't really want that doll enough. These things are expensive--even if I think I can always sell it. I try to make sure I really want the doll before I buy. Waiting for it is a sign that I must really want it.

If I really want that doll, I will wait, as I said. If I find out that I didn't really want the doll as much as I thought, then, yeah, I'd buy a different doll. It would have to be a doll that I wanted more than any other doll at that time, of course.

6. Well, on a flip side, two dolls from ringdoll I drool over, are sold out, most of the dolls I like are gone, and by the time I get money together, will probably be gone, I was hoping to layaway, but I think I'm going to wait for a convention, I don't know anymore.
      Originally, I wanted second hand to break the ice, but with threads here about stolen dolls or worse, im not going to rush. I would love a boy dolly to terrorize though..

7. 1) Has a doll you've been saving for sold out at the last minute? How did you feel?
      NA. For my characters, I pick a couple of sculpts that could work and if any is limited and sold out, I simply move them to the bottom of the list and focus on the ones I can buy. There are dolls that were limited and sold out long before I discovered them so I'm simply waiting for them to be re-released or something.

Only incident I can think of is my Merc Hyperon and DollClans Phython. I had just put Hyperon on my grail wish list and paid for something else when Soom re-released him (NOOOOOO!!!). As for Phython, I just waited until it was his next ordering period.

Ha, the money that should have gone to Hyperon was spent on Arvid who was actually more expensive. Between the two of them, they emptied my pockets so I couldn't get another doll until the Christmas event period.

8. 1) Has a doll you've been saving for sold out at the last minute? How did you feel?
      Not yet. But I did have a scenario where I had the doll in my cart but realized I hadn't signed in, and after I signed in the doll was sold out. It was awful because I "had him"…and was prepared for his purchase as soon as his sale opened. It turns out I was able to buy the doll….I was in denial about missing out on him so I kept going to his page for like 20 minutes after the sale started and poof I was able to put him in my cart and buy him. I was actually surprised at how heart broken I was when it seemed like I couldn't get him.

If I hadn't gotten him, I don't know what I would have done. I might have looked second hand. It wasn't clear that he would be released again. Many people wrote on the companies QA board asking about him when he sold out in less than 5 minutes - The company (IOS) was shocked by the interest and very graciously upped the quantity being sold, so it gave people a chance to get him.

If I hadn't gotten him, I wouldn't have bought a different doll as a replacement for him. In general most of the dolls I like are all mid-low range, non-fullset dolls which means I have the funds available for the dolls I like.

9. 1) Has a doll you've been saving for sold out at the last minute? How did you feel?
      Never happened to me...
      Most of dolls were actually sold out or only sold for a limited time period. It's likely that some of them would be back in stock, so I waited. But there were others that I knew were pretty much impossible to be back in stock again(those limited dolls), so I wouldn't wait and rather seek for someone to sell him/her to me
      I would continue to save money for the dolls that I like. Less expensive dolls, if I don't like their sculpt, won't make a substitute for the original one

10. 1) Has a doll you've been saving for sold out at the last minute? How did you feel?

No, but I have found dolls that I loved that were sold out before I even knew about them. It kind of sucks.

I couldn't. Most were discontinued not just out of stock.

I went and found a doll that looked a lot like. That's the thing I like about BJD's. Sooner or later if you look there's always another doll that will be close enough to do the job you need it to. There are too many sculpts out there that are similar to limit yourself to one discontinued doll. Not being able to buy that doll did not stop me from finding another that was similar enough to work, in fact the doll I found later might actually be a better choice than my initial choice.

11. I love Sooms dolls and all the ones I want are sold out, so waiting patiently to buy a 2nd hand one or if they rerelease them

12. 1) Has a doll you've been saving for sold out at the last minute? How did you feel?
      Most of the dolls I want that are sold out were sold out before I discovered them. :(

I would either wait for a) the doll to come back in stock or b) a reasonably-priced one for sale. ^_^ I've bought two dolls before on a site where they were previously sold out, but they were not bjds.

I'd try to save the money, because it is inevitable that I will spend it later. :3

13. 1) Has a doll you've been saving for sold out at the last minute? How did you feel?

Sad, but I won't stop searching for them and I don't mind a second hand doll.

Definitely. I would wait for a reasonable time meanwhile also searching for used one. However I'm prefer new.

No, I would not buy a different doll. What I like is what I want, it can not be substituted.

14. 1) Has a doll you've been saving for sold out at the last minute? How did you feel?
      I was a bit disappointed but I wasn't really expecting to obtain it at that moment despite my efforts to do so.

More like I waited until the secondary market sold 8 months later when they arrived to those who purchased during the limited's time frame.

See above; I knew even if I was disappointed by not being able to buy the doll directly from the company, the secondary market is a beautiful, beautiful thing. :) I try to keep my eye on the prize, keep my hopes up, and not let any other dolly in the meantime tempt me from waiting out for the one I initially (and still) wanted.

15. most of my dolls are sold out now and most of dolls i want are sold out too..
      the price is high..volks please release KAELIN 2nd version plz!!

16. All I can say is: the Marketplace is your friend. ;)

Seriously though, almost none of my dolls I bought new (even the limited, discontinued, or hard-to-find ones). It amazes me that people can be so patient in this hobby waiting for a doll firsthand from a company, but have little patience combing through the secondhand offerings. Often that can be the only place to find a specific doll and if you search long enough you can usually find some extraordinary deals, too. It might take a little while to find what you're looking for at the price you want to pay, but again, you'd be waiting just the same if you bought it directly from the company!

17. 1) Has a doll you've been saving for sold out at the last minute? How did you feel?
      My problem is, I'm always too late...Or maybe because I got into this hobby just a year ago. My dream dolls are all long sold out and they won't get in stock again because they're LE... I feel a bit sad but...I will think positive. I may meet another dream doll again in the future and finally can get him/her.

I would do if I would know that he/she will get back in stock. Unfortunately, their companies won't tell us buyer that this/that doll will be back or not. And most of very LE dolls won't be sold again.

I would continue to saving but not for a more expensive doll. I might save for a second hand dream doll or wait for another surprise new dream doll in the future ;)

18. Thankfully I was able to snag the doll I wanted before he sold out but that leads me to a question that I can't seem to find an answer to: Does Iplehouse ever restock their dolls? They have so many sold out casts...

19. There were some old dolls that they've completely discontinued, but the new ones mostly either go basic or show up in the Doll Choice listing after a matter of months. It's just the limited edition extras that can be hard to get if you don't order during the original release. Doll Choice is usually open during the first half of each month.
      Oh, and I notice you've added yourself to the Iplehouse Waiting Room list - Feel free to ask questions of us there!

20. When I just started the hobby I was not really patient. So I know what exactly you feel. But in time I became more patient. So now if it is not a limited doll I don't mind waiting for it. If you are sure that this is the doll you really need, why not to wait a little more? In that case you will get the doll you really wanted, not a replacement.