1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

When was the first time you could not bond with a doll?

Feb 8, 2007

1. I can totally understand about this kind of "not bonding" experience.
      My first doll was a AE 1/4 yara girl, before to have her for mine, I spend a lot of time for doing some research to make sure I will be ready to have, because for that time I was really an "unknown" about BJD's world. After about 2 months(Yeah, I was sooooo excited for waiting her at home) , I have her. I really tried to give her 200% of my attention and love, but it just doesn't work. She is important for me because it's her who has bring me to this amazing world but I just cannot bond with her. So, finally I took steps, as someone said, she deserve to have a new familly which could give her more love, much better than me. Yeah, I sold her, to one of my friend for two reasons: firstly, she really love her and has spend time for looking after her because Yara is already sold out for that time, secondly, she's my friend and I could see Yara again on anytimes.
      hummm...I'm missing her so much but I'm also very happy that she have a new home which match her better than mine.

2. Ive been having this same type of problem, the whole not feeling like the doll is really "mine". I had been wanting a bobobie Mei for forever when my girlfriend (now ex girlfriend) got her for me as a gift. when we split up it nearly destroyed my love for all dolls since that was one thing that we had together, now it feels impossible for me to bond with my Mei. Ive debated for a long time now weather or not to keep her and hope i can connect or if i should put her up on the marketplace and get a different doll. even if she is the sculpt that i wanted for so long (and i still love how pretty she is) i just dont know if i will ever be able to connect with her.

3. I did not bond with my first doll, precisely. She was not what I was looking for. Quality was good and everything was perfect but not the mold. I'm glad she's gone. Someone else loved her more than I ever did.

4. I have to ask. Has anyone ever bonded with a doll that didn't belong to them? I have a wonderful friend who has some beautiful dolls, and every time I handle one in particular (the body mostly as I make clothes for her sometimes). I feel like "oh this is so right!" I feel as though if I bought one of the same sculpt It would be like copying her though... I just LOVE that doll so much!

5. Wished I had seen this sooner could have recalled better. I would have to say my most likely doll was a Dollzone Megi. I tried him in NS and in tan and both ended up sold. I think I can say of the many & I do mean many dolls I have bought and sold 1/3 would have to be because I didn't bond with the doll. 1/3 sold was more likely due to over spending and had to sell. The rest either has stayed a while and if gone was due to not being able to get them to work as hoped, bad posing abilities, or resin wasn't happy with, tans & WS is not my favs I have learned. But I have had NS be to me look WS.

6. Sadly, for my bank account, I seem to have no problem bonding with dolls...! :nowords:

There are a few I bond with a little less, but I still like them.

7. Ohh, The first kid I ever had was a BBB Nissa- Little boy elf kid that I thought was the cutest thing for a starter doll! Of course when I got him I was so pumped and excited and had a little sadistic character all planned out for him-
      Then I realized I reallllly didn't like tinies.
      He wouldn't pose (I was too afraid to get him sueded since he was so small) well at all, His faceups were wayyy too hard to pull off (tiny features!) and he would not. fit. in anything fashionable. (or rather, fitting for his character.) Of course, These are all my opinions, But this is also why I don't think i'd ever get another of these little guys unless I found one who I just knew could work- I guess I'll admit I did rush him. xD;

So all in all, ...I got rid of him without a second thought. He was cute but there was literally no connection among us. I'm hoping this dosen't happen again, But you never know what could happen with dolls and characters. C:

8. My first boy was a Dollzone HID. When I first got him I was really excited to have him, but I just didn't really bond with him at all, which sucked. Since it was my first BJD and I was really excited and happy. I ended up selling him and got my first SD size boy, which was a Kai minimee.

I really bonded with him, but I sadly had to sell him since it was my senior year and I was getting ready to go into Uni. :c I really did bond with him and had a lot of plans, but life got in the way. So I'm hoping with this new guy I'm getting that I bond with him just as well as I did with my minimee c:

9. I had problems when i got my first girl. My previous two boys had fit their characters perfectly straight out of the box but Sol was different. She just didn't seem to fit with the vision i had of her in my head. I even considered maybe selling her at one stage but decided against it because she had been a Christmas gift from my parents. The breakthrough came when i was messing around with making my own wigs. I'd made a red one because that's the color i had available and once i put it on her she was completely different. I went and bought her a nice red wig and some pretty apple green eyes and suddenly she was just what i'd been looking for all that time. Now i wouldn't change her for the world.

10. My first doll. She was my only one for a while so it didn't bother me. But when I got others and bonded with THEM right away, it started to bother me. I tried everything--sewing for her, new wig, adding eyelashes, spending some time away from her and then coming back, nothing worked. Now I'm selling her to be able to buy a doll I truly feel connected to.

It happens sometimes. But I bought her as a model, and now I only buy dolls that fit characters, so hopefully I've saved myself the same aggravation later on.

11. The first time I couldn't bond with a doll was two years ago when I got my first tiny. It was a Felix Brownie and I've only ever had SD dolls before that. I was so excited about getting it but then when it finally arrived, I just felt disappointed. I just didn't like the size of it and how it was sort of difficult to get clothes for and I didn't like the movement of its joints and everything. I ended up selling it the very next day. I've finally decided to give tinies another try again, this time going with the LittleFee Bisou. I've heard awesome things about their posing abilities and stuff, so I'm hoping this time I'll be able to bond with the doll.

12. My first time NOT bonding... was my first New doll.
      I love them all second hand, pre-loved, with a history.
      I can't buy the doll new.. or I wont ever bond with it.

13. I called that experience, falling out of love~

When I first saw DollFamily Lance/Lingfeng, I knew I was in love! But I waited about 3 months to proof to myself I was not ordering out of impulse. Then after the waiting period, he became My First BJD!
      But because I was moving, he stay in the box for the most part, and when I finally had a chance to do his faceup, I realize I was falling out of love with him since day one.

I've been trying to bond with him by obsessive amount of clothes but I just can't. I still think he's cute, but it just didn't work out, so he left for a better family.:)

14. I used to own a MNF girl, but somehow, I couldn't really bond with her. I think it was because she had a face-up by an extremely talented face-up artist; I didn't feel she was really mine with that face-up. I sold her and I regret it to this day, because I love the MNF girl body :)

I also used to own a YoSD-sized girl, but that size is completely not for me, so while I loved her little face, I found it hard to bond with her as well. I traded her for my AKI's Iplehouse JID body and I don't regret this decision at all~

15. I was gifted my 1st doll by a good friend. He was a dollmore Aidan boy. Very cute and all but he was just not for me so after talking with my friend and thinking it over.I decided (with the friends permission after all she was kind enough to buy me the doll) to give the doll to a very very dear friend who wanted a aidan and just did not have the money and was just tring to make ends meet. I gave it to her for christmas and it really made her day. I get to see him all the time and I know it was the right move.

16. When I learned of ABJDs, I was set on an SD. I wanted a big, beautiful, 2ft long girl to hold and cuddle and play with.
      A few months go by and I order myself a SDF Dahlia and pore over her promo pics at least once a day, to the point that I had memorized the sequence of photos. After a month and a half of breathless waiting, she arrives. I loved her instantly, set her up and took a couple pictures, then put her back in the box. To stay. I very rarely felt inclined to pick her up, and when I did, she was just so large and cumbersome it was more of a chore than it was worth.
      Eventually I realize she's simply not for me. I listed her on the marketplace and browsed Luts again; I found the head for KDF Cherry Elf, and although I disliked her promo pics, I loved her fantasy ears. I ordered her shortly after with the human Cherry faceup, and she's been my little Hylian princess ever since. <3

17. My second doll, a dika doll bobby. He's a tinie I believe. I love him to death he's so cute but I can't really click with him because he's so small I'm terrified of breaking him, which I've already done by letting my MSD hold him. fufufufufu.

18. Right now I'm struggling with my Doll Leaves Sisley. I fell in love with her immediately upon seeing the stock photos and ordered her with the default faceup and wig. I put her on 4 month layaway and finished paying off the first week of December but it took a whole nother month of waiting for her to get here. I was sooo excited but when I opened the box... she was blank.

I realize this probably makes me come off as very stupid/picky but without that default Doll Leaves faceup she's just kind of "meh" to me. Still waiting for a refund of the faceup costs (since they wouldn't go back and do the faceup for me) before I decide if I want to try to commission someone to copy it as closely as possible... but in the mean time I've got this doll I spent $300-ish on (not to mention the 5 months of anticipation) that's just sitting in a box by my desk.

My mom was so incredibly mad at me for buying her anyway (I already have 4 dolls and she thinks that's at least 3 too many haha) so I've got this kind of guilt complex over spending the money etc.

I'm going to give it a while longer... I just wish the mix-up hadn't happened. The doll I "bonded" with wasn't the one I received ^^;;