1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

When was the first time you could not bond with a doll?

Feb 8, 2007

1. The doll I currently own right now. XD;
      But it's much better now; the personality I gave him just didn't fit.

2. I'm not bonding with my Narsha Boy.. But I've just had him for a week and a half or so, so I'll keep trying.
      But.. He's so small! In cm he sounded pretty big, and I wanted to start out small so I wouldn't be scared by a huge 1/3.. But he's so tiny!
      And he has a default faceup and.. Well, almost everything about him is wrong.
      He's absolutley beautiful, but he's wrong.
      I don't know what I'll do if I don't bond with him..

3. well i just recieved my Dollzone Shouyu. I've been anxious over her, because unlike all of my other dolls...Shouyu is actually based on one of MY characters! The Haven Way crew thus far were loved because of them, the dolls, and the character they seemed to have.

But now i'm trying a different approach and trying to fit a character to a doll...and its proving to be anxious and tedious work. But i've only had her for one day, and i didnt have much time to spend with her...

...so i want to try and do her face-up, make her wig, clothes, and find the right eyes before i think of anything more drastic. I love the doll though...so i might be more inclined to keep her and turn her into something else rather then sell her should she not work out as KitBash. But i'm going to give it lots and lots of thought and effort before that happens!

The same determination i put towards Ringo and making him stand and Oranda and her challenging face-up...my KitBash will get the same dedication to make her, her. I almost gave-up on Oranda...but i'm glad i didnt and it paid off...i'm hoping the same will happen with my shouyu...no not my Shouyu my KitBash! :)

4. I think I never truly bonded with my first doll. In retrospect I can say that I didn't have a clear enough idea of what I liked in dolls when I bought her.

She was really pretty, and she had a wonderful faceup, and I was excited to have her for a long while... But when that wore off, I realized that it had been more the excitement to finally own a BJD than excitement over this particular doll.

I got other dolls, and I felt a much more immediate connection with them. I kept looking at her and wondering what was wrong. I gave her a new faceup, tried different wigs and clothes... Nope, just never felt right.

It's funny, I don't really believe that my dolls have souls beyond what I project into them, but Dahlia always felt empty, and after several months, it started to really bother me. I even felt a little guilty for failing to appreciate her.

In the end, I decided that it made no sense to have a very expensive doll sitting around unappreciated if I could sell it to somebody who would love it and get myself a new doll that *I* would love in turn.

Said new doll is just now sitting next to me... Well, her body is. Her little head is in the kitchen downstairs, waiting for the gloss on her lips to dry.

I don't regret the decision. I opened the box today, looked at the funny little face of BambiCrony Sisley and fell in love immediately. Now I can look at my dolls and be content that each of them is just right for me.

5. My 10th doll was a boy (before that was all girls). I could not bond with the boy. I never had brothers, or male childhood friends, or any male dolls. Playing with dolls for me and my friends was always dressing up girls, vicariously living various little doll stories just involving the girls. We weren't even dating age yet and we had no interest in boys. So male dolls are just not part of playing with dolls for me.

Carolyn

6. my first non-bonding experience was with my Souldoll Metel, Stephanie. i loved dressing her up (she had multitudes of Barbie and fashion-doll outfits) and did my best to get her to "interact" with my other dolls, who are all 1/4-sized. she had a lot of personality, very pugnacious. maybe that was the problem. crazy as it sounds, i just had the feeling that she didn't like me. so i sold her. i felt like a failure.

i'm afraid i'm having a similar problem with my AF Lily, Ruthie- or maybe i'm just getting too involved in her backstory. maybe once her guardian Kage gets here, things will improve. meanwhile i try to pretend that she doesn't freak me out a little *_*

7. I didnt bond with my first doll. My mini fee chiwoo. I absoloutly love him to peices..and now that he's gone..i do kinda miss him just a little bit..but for a first doll he was too small. I wanted something i could snuggle and he was hardly there when I held him...

I tried super hard to find a way to keep him. At first i had bought him to be Kodona...it wasnt working very well because of faceup problems..so i gave up on that, and erased the doll entirely..

i tried to start over with him after my Kodona character..and make the little guy my character Dakota..That worked 10 times better and he had the most unbelievable, gorgeous dead-on face id ever seen an artist DO...

but he was still too tiny..so i sold him to fund bringing home a BIG Kodona doll.

And thats where my second doll Magical Michael came in.

I didnt get along with him very well in the beginning either..but thats just because he looked super angry without a wig. Now he's my favorite and the most well- loved of the bunch.

I consider magical michael to be my first real doll..and he holds a special place with me. :)

8. It´s interesting to read this, I always thought I am the only one with such problems. I only recently got my first BJD (if you don´t count the small Obitsu dollfies), a 43cm Narae. I was so excited to get her, but when my friend got her from the custom office and send me the first pictures to my workplace, my first thought was "OMG". I didn´t really like her, and her face up wasn´t what I wanted, at least her lips. And lips are the most important part of a face for me.

A few hours later, when I saw her in person, I still didn´t like her very much, with her default wig and those lips. My only thought was "Let´s get home and let me redo your lips."

When I had finished that, she almost immediately looked different. Now, a few days later, I love her to death and I am absolutely happy that I was able to bond with her.

I fear it will be the same with the 60cm Narin I will get soon, seems I am not able to bond with dolls immediately. But as long as it works out in the end, I can live with it.

9. A long long time ago, I received a Petite Ai. I've always adored that doll from afar, and loved her once she was mine, but I just couldn't name her or fit her into the newly forming story. I think it had a lot to do with me not changing her face-up completely, or her eyes (was to busy moving to another state). Finally, one night my partner asked if he could have her as he knew she was perfect for him and the family of dolls he was creating.

So I guess we never bonded in the way I do with all my other dolls, though I love her, and still do (in fact yesterday I was just playing with her. I feel as though we've bonded now that she's someone elses:sweat).

Sera~

10. I'm not sure that I understand this "bonding" thing with dolls either. I substitute the word "like" for the word "bond" and it makes more sense to me. I bond with my pets and there isn't a word strong enough term to describe what I feel about my children.
      Example. If my house was on fire, I would be sad to loose my dolls, run in to try to save my pets, and burn to a crisp to save my children.
      That said, I enjoy all of my dolls. They have helped me through some sad times just by being beautiful.

11. My Chris. I've always loved that sculpt so when they were rereleased last year I was over the moon. I got him because at the time I thought he'd be perfect for a certain character of mine.

Before he arrived I knew I'd have to change his faceup because I hated the green eye makeup White Cat Chris comes with.
      When he arrived I only had a few days to get a feel for him before I went on vacation. I didn't get to change his eye makeup until after I got back. Then the wig I ordered for him arrived but didn't fit, it was perfect for the character but wouldn't fit his huge head. I wasn't able to find a suitable replacement because nothing looked right on him or for the character.
      So I set him aside for a while.

Last month I wiped his faceup completely and modded his nose a little. I like the way it looks, but he's still got no face, eyes, or hair so he's still really difficult to bond with. I have another wig and set of eyes coming for him this week. And as soon as I get a warm day or two he's getting a faceup. Hopefully then he'll tell me who he is because I just don't know.

12. When I bought a Celestyn from a forum member. I loved the sculpt, and loved the airbrushing and faceup she had Souldoll do...but when she arrived I thought she was pretty but that was it, I had her for a few months and didn't do much with her...took a few pics..that was about it, so I sold her.

the next one was my Dim Odelia that I complained about alot on here.....I loved the Souldoll pic of her, and when she got here I liked her face and body, but she couldn't pose for nothing, didn't stand, didn't sit..her wrist hooks broke immediately...that kind of killed any hope of me bonding with her, i tried though, took pictures, got her some nice clothes..but it didn't work...off to the chopping err selling block she went..;)

13. I never really thought about 'bonding' with my dolls. Because I treat them as completely inanimate objects, without feelings or reactions, I thought thd bonding concept was a little silly (much like some of the more extreme personifying that happens within the doll community). If I liked the doll, I liked the doll. that's it.

So I bought a Breakaway and loved him, for all his luts SD glory. Because I didn't RP or write at the time, I had no drive to get more dolls beyond basic conceptualizations- it'd be cool to have the four horsemen, for example.

Then I got into writing with a friend, and between the two of us we've created an entire, evolving storyline and an entire cast of characters. After seeing the MNF Shushu and realizing she'd make an awesome Shelly, and now Ipplehouse' Aaron would be a fantastic Gun, I've realized that the attachment I've had for Kaz (My breakaway) is nowhere close to what I feel for Shelly. Now I know that I'm not really attached to his mould or non-existant character, Im planning to sell him because iId rather let someone I know would appreciate a limited head far more than I do currently own him.

Bonding is an odd thing, and it means something different for everyone. I think of it as purely a physical attachment- I like my dolls, but they can't like me back. Everyone has their own methods.

That said- if you don't think you like the doll, there's no reason in the world for you to keep hold of him or her- try again, and maybe you'll find a better fit with a different mold! XD

14. My second doll was Seiji, a Lati K, and he was beautiful. But after a short while, I realized he just wasn't fitting in for me. He had his followers, but for me he just wasn't working out right.
      I felt pretty guilty selling him, but knowing the buyer would really enjoy him helped quite a bit.
      I'm paying off a unidoll Jace that looks a bit snarkier, and I'm hoping he'll fit right in.

But yeah, bonding, liking, whatever you want to call it, we just weren't "clicking" even after I tried a new face up on him.

I still have my first doll, and I love him to pieces! :)

15. I've been lucky and not had issues with anyone so far. *knock on wood* This may sound weird, but did you try changing the eyes? Sometimes eyes make an enormous difference.

16. My very first BJD. I wanted an Emma, but instead I saw a Sooah and thought wow! she is beautiful. I hadn't realized that the one I was looking at was customized. So I went ahead and got one.

WHen I got her home I was sadden that she didn't look like I thought she would. And she was alot bigger then I had first thought she would be. So needless to say there was no bonding. I have waited over a year to dare and buy another doll. But I have a new one comming. Much smaller.

Nicole

17. I think the term "bonding" is as good as any for what sometimes goes on with our dolls. It's like calling a box of store-brand facial tissues "Kleenex." We all know it's not the same level of attachment that one gets with a pet, a child, or a significant other. (or at least it shouldn't be.. that would be a bit scary, frankly). It's a term of convenience. Now can we move on? Rar!!:roar (or Roar, if you prefer!) ;) (sorry to be snarky, it just doesn't seem worth the constant re-hashing).

As for me, I have had that problem with all 3 of the large girls I've owned so far. I can't begin to tell you how hard I tried to make my Maya work for me, as I was just wholly enchanted with her from the moment I saw her. But like others, when she got here, try as I might, and LIKE her though I did, I couldn't get it right. Man. Did I feel guilty.

I had the same problem with a Belita and a Dark Elf Soo. Both of whom were thoroughly lovely. I actually was physically uncomfortable around Belita, even though she was beautiful.

But when I felt *relief* sending them off to their new owner (yes, the same wonderful crazyperson bought both) I knew it was the right thing to have done. I don't have that discomfort about any of the others, and in fact love them to bits.

Poor Aernath has had to listen to me angst over the girls for months. I think its safe to say that I agree with whover said, on the previous page, there's no point in keeping them if you don't enjoy them.

18. Arnold and I still haven't really "clicked." It could be from the frustration of being unable to find things for him (such as clothes), or his wig or eye color. I don't know. The strange thing is, whenever I think about selling him I get all depressed, and know that I couldn't actually go through with it.

19. I bought too and bee-a first, but my El got hee before, so I think it is with my "second" doll.
      That couple didn't got bonded with me never. I tried again and again, but I simply couldn't, that's why I sold them.

20. My CB Shiwoo is that way for me.
      He came so differently than the picture Luts had of him, so much more sweet looking and childlike. The pictures on Luts site had him a bit more...tough looking I guess? So for now, he's boxed up in my closet, waiting to see if any ebayers will give him a good home.