1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

When was the first time you could not bond with a doll?

Feb 8, 2007

1. Mine was a CP luts Dark Elf Soo.
      I was sooo happy to get her home (My second doll). And no matter what I did, hair, eyes, clothes. She just wasnt doing anything for me. I was so dissapointed. I sold her, in the end, I had kept her I think a whole year to trying and bond with her but I just couldnt, and when I finally did sell her, sure I felt bad, but as soon as I had posted her and I knew she was on her way to a new home I felt such relief. I didnt realise until then how badly I had felt about how I just didnt like her.

Back then I thought it was cause of her size, but I have since then found out that sometimes it just doesnt work. Bought a set of MNF Elf Shiwoo twins, I was sure it would be great since I have ALWAYS loved all the MNF Shiwoo's out there. But it was the same reaction, just nothing. So I sold them to a happier home.

I dont think its something you can controle. Its just something that happens. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt. Its as simple as that.

2. Sadly, my first doll, a dod shall, she was beautiful, but something wasn’t right and I kept her in box the whole time. She had a custom artist faceup, and I think that may have been the reason, while very pretty, she wasn’t for me, it took me a year before I accepted that i must sell her. But now I couldn’t be happier with the decision to part with her, the money I got from selling her allowed me to buy my Amy (volks seirei yugiri) who I adore and could never part with, I really consider her to be my first doll.

3. I haven't a BJD yet so I hope I won't have to go through this "bond"thing when my first BJD arrives home one day.I do have this "bond"thing with my other artist dolls.It always takes quite a while to get use to these dolls.Time will proof whether you bond or not bond with a doll.

4. My first doll, my Obitsu 60cm. I loved it at first... But then the body snapped, and her faceup got ruined. I went through so much trouble to get her fixed. The feeling was gone. So I sold her body and am still trying to sell the head. :sigh

Then it wasn't until I jumped through all kinds of hoops to get a Bambicrony elf Sisley and elf Lotti. I sold their bodies, and when I heard Bambicrony was changing skin tones, I jumped and bought new bodies. I was hoping to buy another doll with that money. I found the normal skin tones just do not hold the charm of the colored ones. I eventually sold them both.

5. I've had several non bonding experiences - mostly with SDs and some chubby kid types that are 8-12 inches... No special reason.. it's all in the face with me I think... if there is no connection.. nothing I feel then I cannot bond.. Who knows the why of it.. I always adopt these lovelies out as soon as possible so they go to a loving home and have attention of someone who properly cares for them....

6. You all make me feel scared I'm not going to bond with my first doll... >.<

I'm not one to give up on people. I always try, try, try. So I think it will work. I will shower them with so much love, just because its so wonderful to own a bjd XD;;

7. I have sold several of my bjds, because I wanted to upgrade or whatever, --but only one I did not bond with. I hate to admit it, but it was my 43cm Narae. :o

What is not to like about Narae? She has a beautiful body--lovely face- posed well. She was perfect.;) But we never connected and I did try to bond for the 8 months I had her. I just found myself playing with the rest of the girls and Narae stayed in her box. She seem older then the others, and she was beautiful--just too beautiful and just too perfect.

8. I can relate to this a little...

Last year during the Nanuri07 event I really liked the promo photos on the site and had ordered my El early to make the event. Even doing a deal of repayment/layaway with my dad, which I never do for anything I wanted before. Once I saw some people's Nanuri's I found I didn't like the blank head as much... but I ignored it.

Nanuri07 was beautiful, I even gave the head a name and got him eyes and wigs and tried a few face ups. Sadly I just didn't bond so I placed him in the marketplace. I refused to sell him for a month or two but finally I did sell him and I was relieved when he arrived at his new home.

With my El... I have bonded now but out of my 3 dolls, it took the longest with him. I had wanted an El so long, everyone knew I wanted him. But when he arrived, he was too perfect, too pretty, too doll-like. I was upset that I missed a chance of getting my 'dream doll Volks Tony' for him. I adore him a lot now and can't bare to even ship him off for some modifications.

9. That's the problem i'm having right now with my SD Domuya D1 Flexi boy. I love how nice he came out looking, but i've been soooo unhappy with his poseability and his INability to stand or hold any poses that I try and put him in. I tried taking him to meetups, making him clothes, and all kinds of things (I even re-strung him twice, and sueded and then un-sueded him.)

It's killing me... but i'm probably going to wind up selling him (or at least his body). I just think i'll be much happier with a doll that didn't frustrate me so much that I actually loose sleep debating what to do.

On another note... I have an MSD boy that I did the faceup on myself... but he was a bit of an impulse buy, and as happy as I am with him, one of my dream dolls came for sale in the marketplace (an MSD F-15 in sunlight), so i'm selling this boy and re-making his character on the new mold. I'm in no way giving up the CHARACTER, just the form he takes.

10. My first BJD was a Haute Doll Custom House Choa. I had never seen a BJD in person and was expecting them to be like porcelain. So, when I opened her box I was so upset thinking I had just wasted $700, which to me is a lot of money for a doll. I left her in her box for about a week, then took her out after the initial shock worn off. I feel in love with her and have been happy with her ever since. So if you are concerned about not bonding with your first doll, it will probably still be okay:)

The doll I am having trouble bonding with is my DIM Elena. She is so hard to pose (still need to hot glue & wire her) that she isn't any fun. I'll take her down to change her clothes, but then I get so frustrated she goes right back on the shelf. She looked so cute on the DIM website, but in person, she doesn't look like the pictures, even with the same wigs. I bugged DH to get her for me for my Christmas present so I feel bad for even thinking of selling her. Maybe it is just the disappointment in what I thought she would be like versus what she really is like.

11. I didn't bond with my Puki Puki Sugar...I was killed by the cuteness and even begged my hubby to get her, but when she came..oh how cute and poseable she was, I even tried to sew something for her, made a fairy wings..but it was the size..I was scared to touch her, cause I thought I can damage her ot something, and then I didn't have any idea how she would fit to my SD family. So finally I sold her to my friend and thanks to that I could buy another SD :)

12. I couldn't bond with my first two dolls. They were both MSDs. With the first, it was a Yume from DZ and I hated everything about her. I hated the resin, I hated the sculpt, I hated the posing, and the way her limbs looked. The second was a DoC and while we didn't bond, I could see the beauty that these dolls could possess.

I then saw my first SD on the marketplace. I'd seen him around the boards and was already in love, so I snatched him up. It was love at first sight when I opened his box.

There are still plenty I can't bond with. I usually know pretty quickly after I get them. It's annoying that most of the time I can't tell how that will go by looking at the photographs, but thankfully I'm not sentimental for the sake of it and I simply sell them on again. These things are far too expensive to keep in a box.

13. Don't worry, Ashael. A lot of people's first dolls work out just fine. ^_^

My own first doll (Harumatsu, my Shiwoo [points to her avatar-boy]), is to this day my favorite. I still have a stronger connection to him than to any of the others.

14. Wow, I hope I never have a problem with getting attached to my doll -if I get it- I'm such a sucker for inanimate objects. I mean, I couldn't put one of my neo-pets up for adoption cause it seemed wrong and I cried when I had to throw away my stuffed animals I'd had for years. But I wouldn't call it bonding. I think its more of an attachment. The doll or stuffed animal represents something significant to a person, but when you can't apply the representation you've made for the doll, you're kind of stuck as to what to do with it.

At least that's my theory.

15. The first doll I couldn't bond with was my Dollzone Xi, Johnny. He was my 2nd doll, my first 2nd hand doll, and my first boy. I think the main reason I couldn't bond with him was because after buying him, I had no money to buy him any suitable clothes :o And I really am so much more interested in just collecting my girlies.... even though one certain little girl has been mistaken for a boy SEVERAL time *pokes Aleksei*

16. I agree. Me and Aleksei are very inseperable. I did think about selling her at one time, when I went through that phase of "I can't afford $400 dolls.", but after that mess, we just bonded even more! I take her with me whenever I have the chance to go somewhere with her! :D

17. I think just now if the first time I didn't bond with a doll from the start.

I loved my Kirielle for a long time, but we "fell out of sorts" and it's persisted so long that I am selling her. But that wasn't really a bonding issue, more that I chose the wrong mold, so I want to switch her out to a new body. xD

But my latest, Aru, has been in my closet (where I keep all my dolls to keep them from getting sun and artificial light yellowing) since nearly the day I bought him. It's been a year and I kept thinking I'd come to love him too, he looked so cute in the photos, but it seems his personality and mold are not clicking with me. I still want a mini, and I want someone Japanese-themed, but I don't think Aru is the right character. So I have finally decided that I am going to sell him.

So I guess that's it. xD;

18. My first doll, a DoD Lahoo. He wasn't anything like his promo-shots in person (much softer looking and wide-eyed), and it took six months of trying on new wigs, eyes, and clothes trying to find his 'look' for me to finally admit that I was way more into every doll I owned but the one I wanted to be the prize of my collection. It really hurt to sell him, but he ended up with someone who loves him waaaay more than I could, and when we shipped him off it was such a relief.

19. My first doll I could not bond with was my DZ BB Ani. She was sort of an impulse buy, I thought she was the cutest thing ever but when I finally got her I just didn't feel anything for her. I was actually kind of dissapointed.. I even modded her a bit to try and make her my own. Nothing worked so after keeping her in her box for six months I decided to sell her. Now she is on her way to a good home. I feel so much better so relieved. Although now I'm saving for a puki puki pipi, I hope I don't come to find out it's just tinys I don't seem to bond with. That would be horrible because I want a pipi so badly!

20. I spent 2 years trying to bond with my SD10 Megu. Doing her faceup and completely changing her look multiple times helped to some degree, but within a month I was always 'meh' about her. I could never get her to pose how I wanted, she always looked bad and umm..doll-like in pictures (flat, vacant) and I was never happy with how she looked in person. She just always seemed so dissatisfied with everything involving me.

I sent her to her new home exactly 2 years to the day after I received her.
      Now she's happy, the new owner is happy, and I'm happy. Sometimes a doll just doesn't work for you. I still really like the mold but I won't buy one again.