1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

When will you be done?

Mar 8, 2019

1. Seeing as how I've collected various dolls for over 30 years & BJDs for about 14, I doubt if I'l ever stop. I just love these dolls & every time I think I'm finished someone else pops up that I love. Then they need friends & clothes & wigs, etc. I have cut down a lot though & am currently trying to sell some of my OT dolls plus a lot of clothes & accessories. I'm pretty content with my collection now though I'll probably get another Little Fee or Rosenlied before the year is over.

2. When will I be done? When I’m dead. Even then my ghost will probably come back just so I can keep playing with my dolls.

#22 Mitsukuni, Mar 9, 2019
      Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    3. From experience from my other hobbies I don't think I will ever be done completely - I'll slow down, or maybe even stop for a while, but I usually come back.

4. N E V E R

5. One of the things I’m really liking about this hobby is that there are so many facets to it. It can be so many different things to everyone- collecting, sculpting, painting/make-up, sewing, photography, story-telling, to just name a few... This is just my most recent hobby, and I’ve had many hobbies over the years, but I don’t really see myself as giving any of them up- I just take detours or put things on the back burner while I explore another interest- and the neat thing is that there’s so many ways to bring in those new interests and skills and apply them here, or practice those skills here and apply them elsewhere. Will I maybe put the dolls away for a while, sure, but only as a transient thing until my muse brings me back around in some other form.

6. I have limited space, so that puts up some boundaries in the collecting...But I just keep puttering along and don't foresee stopping anytime soon!

7. I've been done with collecting/adding new resin ball jointed dolls since 2010. I don't see myself getting anymore of them ever again, but I still own all the dolls I got since my interest in these dolls began back in late 2003-early-2004. I am not done with any of the dolls themselves by any means. I still have a lot of work left on them, because I do enjoy the process of customizing my own toys; so I still see myself playing with them and customizing them in the future (until I die probably). However, I have stopped buying shoes, wigs, and eyes for them for a long time now, mostly because I'm vegan and also because I want to make my own wigs (eyes are a pain in the gut for me buying/making). I never purchased any clothes for them, because I felt compelled to sew my own, even though I don't know what I am doing. I have slowly stopped doing that as well now, but I don't consider it a done deal. I'm just lazier with old age, so I do things very slowly and make up excuses for not completing my projects. DX

8. I think I will be done if I either lose interest or feel satisfied with my collection. I don’t think I will want to keep buying dolls forever as I only have a few sculpts that I like, which changes over time but eventually I think I will feel like my collection is complete.

9. I wish I knew when I'll be done.

I wanted one ball-jointed doll to focus on. But she seemed so lonely, a boy sounded nice, maybe a different size ... and before I knew it the house was full of them. I love each and every doll I own but most of them are naked and boxed up. I kind of feel bad for them but I don't have the time nor the funding to care for them. I should probably sell a big part of my collection but I don't know how to get myself to do it. If anyone has any tips please share. I feel so overwhelmed at times. I have tinies, YOSD and SD sized boys and girls and I haven't a clue which size is my favorite. Even at this time I still feel the urge to buy new dolls but I made a deal with myself that I wouldn't get any new members unless they're a replacement for someone. (But it's not working...)

There might be a time when I'll get burned out on the hobby. I've been very close so many times. There have been a few hiatus periods. I think even if/when I quit the hobby that a select few of my dolls would remain, if only to be adorable ornaments to remind me of the good times.

There are still so many creative outlets related to ball-jointed dolls to explore for me. If only I could find the time. I don't think I can quit until I feel I've experienced enough.

10. I am currently just about done with doll buying aside from bodies for floating heads. I won't say I'd never, ever add another depending on what was released in future years, but I'm not actively buying right now and do not want my collection to ever be much bigger than it is.

As for clothes, wigs and shoes, however....sewing and crafting those things is an enormous part of how I enjoy my dolls, so I don't ever plan to be done with those.

11. Doll collecting basically evolves with my tastes, so I don't think I will ever be done with this hobby. Once I become really satisfied with my collection, I do expect my buying habits to slow down. I haven't reached that point yet (and I have a long way to go), so I'm sure my collection will see new additions along with older items being retired due to changing interests.

12. I doubt I will ever be done. There will always be new things to make for my dolls. Even if all my favorite companies close, and new companies that make dolls with the aesthetics I like don't appear to replace them, I will still have my existing dolls to make clothes for, and the hope of finding more that I like on the Marketplace.

13. When i run out of room or lose interest. Running out of room will be less of a problem though. I have lots of experience being out of room and still finding room for more fish tanks, and dolls are way smaller, so im sure i can find more room. Even if i dont have room>.<

14. I would like to think I won't be done with the hobby and my collection will evolve with time. There are so many beautiful sculpts that I'm sure I will slowly build my doll family over coming years even though I only recently got into BJDs. I have been collecting dolls for years and it's my only constant hobby. Others never lasted long enough.

15. I like to collect all kinds of dolls. I don't see myself every stopping the collecting. Occasionally, I might slow down collecting one type of doll or another, but I'll never just stop collecting. Even if I slow down on collecting, I am still going to keep an eye out for dolls I might enjoy.

16. I would like to think I'm 'slowing down' - not adding as much as I used to. But I don't think I'll ever be 'done', as they will always need new face-ups, new outfits, new shoes, new eyes...
      There are a few dolls on my wishlist who are more or less 'out of my system' now. And some that I still regret not getting, and will probably snap up if/when they show up on the MP.

17. When I stop enjoying it.

Teddy

18. I went into this hobby knowing it would have a beginning, a middle, and an end as far as collecting goes. That is the way all my collections have gone throughout my lifetime. And certainly I never went into this wanting to purchase resin forever!:chomp: After more than a dozen years in the hobby, I’ve finally reached a happy place with my collection where I can feel that sense of complete contentment in my heart and know the acquisition is finally at an end. I love them all and, like my other beloved collections, they will be staying with me forever. But at 36 BJDs, I’m done...as in a completed goal kind of “done”.

This being said, I will continue to create, write, and play with them for the rest of my days.:) They are like a part of the family, and are always sitting around my home on constant display to be interacted with and bring me joy on a daily basis! So yeah, sewing and purchasing the occasional wig, outfit or shoes will always be a thing.

#38 PoeticSoul, Mar 11, 2019
      Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    19. This hobby took me a long time to begin, and I don't think I will ever stop. I am just trying to take my time and have a clear idea of what I want to do before I purchase a doll. I "fall in love" with a lot of them, and that's dangerous if you just follow your heart every time, so I am getting my head involved. I purchased a BiDoll, "Somber" and have a Phoenix Doll head on layaway for a Doll Chateau body. I just have to get the color match right and then I am going to order.

20. @Sandwich :mwahaha Love your response - "When I'm dead"

@Enzyme :abow: I sort of remember interacting with you once upon a time long long ago....

I feel done now with new doll acquisitions. I still have the dolls I acquired since joining the hobby in 2008. I sold off 2 dolls that were not suitable but everyone else is still with me. My age is close to retirement, my financial capacity is not as before, I need to think about what happens to my dolls after I'm dead. Hence, I am very slow at acquiring new dolls. I still build their wardrobes, pose, display, travel with them, attend dolpas, meeting other collectors, posting in this forum etc. I'm enjoying the hobby.

Masamune Date was the last name on my wish list when Volks re-released him late last year. Miraculously, money for him came in just at the right time and he was fully paid for. I cannot be more thankful. :)