1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

When will you be done?

Mar 8, 2019

1. Never.

Jk idk man but I'm already starting to run out of space and getting nervous LOL

2. I honestly kind of want to stop once I get some Grail dolls. I actually would love to continue with this hobby and add more to the collection, but due to a series of events in my life (car accident that left me disabled, emergency surgery for life threatening condition, wanting to have kids, etc), I want to focus on healing and starting a family. I rotate between my various hobbies so I don't feel that I necessarily am stopping any of them permanently, but I do go on a hiatus every once in a while which I feel is healthier for me in a number of ways. I feel it keeps my interests in each hobby more alive or at least reinvigorated whenever I do come back. If I were to stop right now with BJD collecting, I would be content as I have a decent collection at this point. I know I would be tempted for more, especially with the hints I've had of future dolls that I know will come out later this year, but I wouldn't be too put off by it as I want to focus my resources and energy towards again healing, starting a family, and eventually putting my children through school and all that. But, like I said, I don't think it would be a forever kind of stop. Just a hiatus until things are settled, or I'm in a better place physically/financially. For now, I'll enjoy this hobby until I need to stop.

3. At this point I think never. At least that is what I want.
      As long as artists and companies keep creating dolls I will keep buying them. And even If i stop buying dolls I will keep buying them clothes, accessories, wigs, and faceups.

4. For me I bought one doll, and I only want to buy one more to be his companion, but actually have no desire to own any more dolls after that.

I'm much more interested in spoiling them and dressing them up in beautiful clothing. So I think I'd always be looking at outfits but not necessarily dolls!

5. I may be done pretty soon, my ideal collection is 5 dolls, and I have the head of the fourth. ^^

I may end up getting one or two more dolls that were not planned (or getting floating heads) but I will consider my collection complete once I have the five dolls and will concentrate on spoiling them.

6. When I’m no longer interested in buying any new dolls? I don’t see that happening anytime soon, though.

7. Well, I thought a couple of years ago that I was done at 36…but then my numbers gradually rose to 40 only a year later. And then the pandemic hit and I realized just how short and fragile life can be, so I decided to shell every last one of my original characters once and for all, which left me with a grand total of 48.:sweat And I thought that was it…I really, really did! But I’ve had one floating head that was purchased secondhand as an alternate (human) head for my Luts pumpkin character. I spent two whole years trying to make myself redo the company faceup on that head (to work with the pumpkin character) but I just couldn’t bring myself to do it!:( Eventually I had to admit that I’d completely fallen in love with a floating head! I have now finally purchased a body to go with it, making her a complete doll in her own right. This is absolutely unprecedented for me, so I’m really hoping this is it. At a grand total of 49, I’ve now truly run out of characters and room.:doh But at 49, can 50 be far behind?

#107 PoeticSoul, Jul 25, 2021
      Last edited: Jan 26, 2022
    8. I think I will stop when volks stop making beautiful dolls :XD:
      I feel if I joined the hobby very early like in 2006 or 2007? Most of my doll family that I want will be complete and will maybe reduce my purchase frequently.
      For now if I got frozen girls and Alice and sweet dream Lorina I might stop purchasing dolls for a while and maybe years :3nodding:

9. I hope, never. I think my tastes will probably change over time and my collection might change with them, but I hope I'll be able to pass down this hobby to my children someday.

10. I'm in the probably never group - I started off with "just these few", then "10, maybe?", then "just the main cast of OCs, so 20ish".... 41 + 11 heads home and I'm nowhere near done :lol: I haven't even finished the main OC cast, either!

11. I thought I would stop when I got my grail. Then I thought I would stop when I shelled two characters I've had for over a decade. Honestly, I might never stop. There are always characters in my head. Maybe I'll slow down on how many dolls I buy per year, but clothing for the ones I have will always come.

12. I think setting limits like "I'll be done at 5" or "I'll be done after this one special one" is setting yourself up with an expectation that inevitably leads to being disappointed in yourself if you can't stick to it. Rather than set an imaginary barrier, it's probably better to just ask yourself regularly if you're happy where you're at. If yes, then don't buy/sell more things, if no, then evaluate why you feel that way and buy/sell accordingly so long as you're both being honest with yourself and responsible with respect to your resources.

All I'm saying is that this question is a bit of a trap. I think the answer for me is: when/if I leave the hobby to pursue a creative outlet with another hobby.

13. When I'm dead.

14. I genuinely don't know. Probably never? I drift in and out of the hobby, so when I'm not in it, I don't add to the collection, but I hope to always keep coming back, which inevitably would lead to more dolls.

15. I don't think I will ever be done. Whenever my aesthetic desires change, I need new dolls to fill that niche!

16. Ideally I'd like to stop buying dolls when I have around 10-15. Not sure if I'll ever actually will stop at that number, though.

17. Honestly I think I might be... coming up on done? At least with acquiring new dolls. And at least for now. Since I'm in the character-shelling subtype and I'm... about out of characters I'd wanted to shell. Currently have one on layaway, then one more I'm eyeing and then that's it for now. At least until I decide there's another character I want to shell, or decide a different sculpt works better lmao. Good enough, though, as that means I'll have the funds to continue getting the ones I've got styled and displayed to my standards :lol:

So I guess, I can't say when I'll be done done but I'm pretty close to being satisfied enough to not be actively looking for new dolls until or unless my collection plans change.

... the rare spontaneous "I have no character intended for this doll but oh god I love it and I keep coming back to it and I definitely want one and oh look I've got enough money", though, there's always that possibility, but luckily for my wallet they're few and far between :XD:

18. Alright, let's get real here.

I have Faith. That's all at the moment.

But providing USPS hasn't lost my Junkyspot package, I also have Kaito and Caleb on the way. I've ordered a Doll Family A to shell Hayden.

So 4 characters shelled.

I have 3 in mind to house Lyulf, Raven and Phoenix.

After that, I have a Migidoll head for Flynn and I want an Ell head for Kenny. I do want another doll to house Quentin as well.

How many even is that? 10. That's not too bad. Oh wait no, Zephyr is a thing. He needs shelling and Cavan.

Dear sweet god.

(Goes to sit down somewhere)

19. I think I'll stop if I'll get tired of the hobby. But honestly I think "never" is a best answer! :lol:

20. Who knows?

I used to collect with the idea of shelling characters, but my last few dolls have all had characters created for them later. Now I've managed to snag a few dolls I wasn't planning but always liked, so I'm still working on them. I can't see myself picking up many more unless I really like them, so I'll probably slow down, but I don't know if I'll ever explicitly make myself stop, so much as lose the interest in getting more.