1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

When you are unhappy, do your dolls cheer you up? (Emotionally dependent on them?)

Nov 5, 2004

1. Such horrible illnesses! :( I'm very sorry for your pain, though I know it will not help. I'm so glad to see so many people find happiness in their sweet dolls, though. Volks and other BJD owners probably don't even realize the happiness that they can bring to people. ^^ I was a 'Make a wish foundation' child (There IS a difference between Children's Wish Foundation, and Make a Wish Foundation. One is American, one is Canadian, and I suggest giving because it puts a big smile on children's faces. ^^) and I would have asked for a bunch of dollfies, but they don't allow buying anything on the internet. But I saved up and such and now have my Michael.

Jibrille: That's terrible... It's great though, I think, that you're getting out there to find people with things in common with you! And I kinda know how it feels for it to be hard to work... =/

KittyBox: Yeah, my pets I often find are stubborn when I try to slide them into dresses, too. XD Now, Michael must face my crossdressing wrath!! *gives Michael an eerie look @_o*

Well, I'd very much like to say that I am okay, but I'm really not. ^^; I have a long list... Humm.. Renal failure, one of my kidneys was deformed, the other was too scarred to really function because of reflux, and the process to get reflux checked and fixed... so much hurts. *_* I found out after a vicious asthma-like attack at school, and taken to a walk-in clinic where they took blood tests because my bloodpressure was so high. 2002 in the summer I got a dialysis tube in my tummy (which so sucks because you get oxygen in your stomach and it's very painful. :( ) and then 2003 I got a transplant, but it didn't go very well. I had about five surgeries afterwards, all in about four months. I now suffer from hallucinations, swelling, weight-gain (sigh.. Prednisone =/ I'm sure some people here know that name.). I also got shingles because a kid in the next room over had chicken pox. u_u;

Now, I'm not okay. I got AVN from my prednisone (acute vascular necrosis), which causes your joints to decay. I got surgery on my right hip in July to try and relieve the pressure on the blood vessel and hopefully save it, but it was too late and now I need a hip replacement. :( I also have AVN in my other hip, and it's up to me now if I go for the surgery to get it before it colapses like my right one. I'm on multiple painkillers, and anti-psychotics. =/

But Dark Michael has been my dream since I started dialysis and I love him. I also look forward to Ren! :grin:

2. I'm a Make a Wish foundation child too! ^_^
      I haven't made my wish yet though =0 They visited just this week and we talked about it (it was very exciting). I'm on a lot of prednisone right now also, and I get IV infusions once a week. So I know what you mean about swelling (moonface!) and weight gain. I wish you a lot of luck with your AVN! Dialysis sounds awful.

3. I don't have a health illness, thankfully, but when my life is hard in other ways, I do find solace in my dolls. They are peaceful and beautiful and sweet looking. I find it peaceful, calming and clearing to have fun taking photos of them outside in the quiet (I often have to work too long to enjoy being outside, so it's a treat) and or redressing them.

4. I'm looking forward to have a humanoid thing to talk to like you guys say. I have 5 cats but I find that its hard to talk to them like I would a humanesque figure...

boy, alot of people have a lot of things on this board....

I have Asperger's syndrome which is paticularly high functioning autism, an anxiety disorder, as well as ADD/NOS which means I have the attention problems without the hyperactivity.
      but I have learned to repress them all pretty well, especially with my bipolar/suicidal depressive sister, I have been uncauntiously guilted into being "the strong one" (yeah, Im a little bitter, but I shouldnt be, my mom dosnt understand that the things she says makes me feel guilty for being a problem too.)

oh well i've yammered on for long enough.

5. Just thought I'd post a major hug to all you guys who posted (and to those a little scared/embarrassed to)

Yeh RL sucks, but hey, your companions are always gonna be there, and so are all of us (*lol* me speakin on behalf of DoA XD) here at the forum!

Cheers guys, and smile lots! ^^

-Annie

6. Ah man, I think someone could write a paper on ilness and doll ownership! I haven't had any surgery or hospitalizations, but sometimes I feel like I've been seeing doctors nonstop since I first got sick (man that was . . . 7 years ago). I think some of you are the people I was told about by some of the folks who are less sensitive and told me I shouldn't complain because others were worse off. ^^; (Kind of, you think your broken arm hurts, look at that guy with no arm! Not really that helpful, if you ask me, but true.) I'm in the prednisone club, but I wasn't on it for very long.

I think the amount of time that I invested in finding out about Dollfies did have something to do with the fact that I really can't get out much; and the psychological effects of having health problems (if I paid attention to the physical ones I wouldn't be at the computer so much!). But I guess the reason I decided "I'm getting one NOW" did have to do with my state of mind at the time. I felt like I needed a fresh start of some kind, something in my life that had to do with just me and not other people, in my control, and that would motivate me to be creative again after some of my other hobbies got a bit . . . tainted by negativity.

There have been a lot of other things that helped me out, watching anime, listening to music; but a doll is something physical . . . he's usually on my lap when I'm watching TV or on the computer and I find his weight very comforting. My dad makes fun of me for doing that. Akio's maybe not as huggable as a stuffed animal, but that solidity is important too . . . I think if I had had a doll sooner, it might have helped me a lot . . . since I think I've gotten more able to handle things as I've gotten older. (Although I can't say much, I'm nearly 23 and sitting here snuggling my dollie . . .)

Akio is going to take his first trip with me . . . in 5 hours. >_<; My great aunt is dying and I know it's going to be a difficult time and I just can't bear to leave him here, because I know he'll help if I have him with me. I hope he does okay in my improvised carrier (I haven't had a chance to buy him a proper one yet) and that I'm not too embarassed if security has to take him out of the bag!

7. Yes I have had alot of Surgery, Had a tumor removed, im now back under the hospital for blood pressure, heart problems, which cause me alot of trouble, so now having ongoing tests, in and out of the hospital, doctors etc, plus sometimes have monitors on at home.... and I do find my kids (dolls) are a release from the everyday pressures of health, work, life, my children etc, is it a cop out?, maybe but it helps me...? (funny this is the only time ever admitted that, prob cos not many, well hardly any know me...)

My dolls take me to a world where things going on in my life can be forgotten, put on the back shelf... and not exsist.... making me aparently "normal" for a while.... if there is a normal lol... does that sound odd, strange dont know, but they make my life etc easier to cope with, lol a get out clause.... (dont tell them I said that)

right gonna grab a tea...
      :daisy

8. I wasn't going to say anything, but reading everyones posts has proved moving...It's a case of thinking you're the only one...
      I'm coming out of severe depression, which made me very withdrawn and reclusive.
      To help me relax, I took to playing with small figures, dolls and then BJDs.
      Going to the UK Dollfie gathering a few weeks back, was, at first, very scary, but as everyone was great to chat to and so relaxed, it lifted my spirits no end.
      So BJds have lead me to meeting people, which has restored some self confidence.

Maz...you were a great hostess for that day! I hope you got some "therapy" out of it too. Pleased you also decided to share your secret :grin:

9. Maz gives Flynk a big hug (thanks)

Its true I never thought that other people may be like me, have problems/illnesses etc, not many reople know about my operations etc, I tend to keep it private, people treat you different (I am not made of cotton wool, and I wont break) and if you meet me it doesnt show, I look like everyone else....

But its what goes on inside, how you cope and my dolls do help me cope (I can write this here as hubby will never read it) I dont let out my feeling and thorts to him, I do to a point but hold alot back, it would just make him worry more plus have kids so dont want them to worry more, so can release my thorts worries, pain if you will, to them they dont judge me if im scared they dont treat me different, they are there 24hrs and they help.... lol sounds odd even when I read it back but its true...

:daisy

10. I have rheumatoid arthritis, although I am very lucky that it is not a severe case at this time...I like to sew a lot and make things for my doll while I can because the arthritis affects my hands mostly and someday I may not be able to make small things...I enjoy my doll so much and it is a kind of therapy for me I guess. I hope for all the best for all of you...bless you all!!!!!!

AZ

11. this may sound odd to say, but it's nice to know that i'm not alone.

nagi....prednisone is a nasty, nasty side effect monster. :( my father is going through similar issues (he's had a couple of his teeth shatter from it's effect of stealing calcium). since it's one of the few steriods meds i can take safely (i'm allergic to many) i take just enough to get by and then stop. i do hope things continue to improve for you! *big hugs* :daisy

i also have medical problems that keep me from being out and doing things. my allergies (which include grass, trees, and medicines) keep me inside nearly all spring and all fall. i also have asthma that has sent me to the hosiptal more times than i can remember. :( as a teen i discovered i had thyroid problems that at my last checkup may have gotten worse. my eldest son (7 years old) also has type 1 diabetes and aspergers so i can't get a job because i get at least 5 calls a week from the school about him. i also have to go in a lot when he has problems. my middle son has aspergers borderline austism so no luck getting babysitters. i also have bi-polar disorder that flares when i have high stress. *_* so the doctors say i should reduce stress in my life....yeah right. :?

that's where my dolls come in. even if you can't get out of bed, you can still use your imagination. loki's mom really hit the nail on the head. imagining with dolls may be escapism, but the RL does suck horribly and i think it's better to imagine with dolls than watch tv. tv can rot your mind and imagining doesn't. :daisy i take my time for those 3 hours four times a week when i'm all by myself and pretend and work on my projects. sometimes just a little escapism can help you through big bumps in the road. :daisy i think that's why my husband is understanding of my collecting even though he doesn't get it. we all need are relaxing time and since everyone in the world is different, we all get that time in different ways. as was also said, by getting dolls and being around like-minded folk, you learn new skills. since i have been on the internet groups, i have learned a great many new things from people willing to show their own work and educate others. it's wonderful! i haven't been here very long, but i have ready many threads and have already learned a lot! thank you! :daisy

i really hope that my bjd arrives soon. i just found out thursday that the week before thanksgiving i have to go to the hospital to check to see if i have developed a cancerous goiter on my thyroid. (becca gets to glow in the dark :o ) it would be really nice while i'm there to imagine that my little sweetie was at home waiting. :daisy

i'm really sorry if this is more information than you wanted. :oops:

rebecca

12. tmi... :: blah blah blah ::

13. I hope your wish turns out for you! Mine was to get my room done over with this amazing furniture and it's so lovely now! Ha, I got my bed as high as I could because I love high beds but now with my hip problem it's difficult getting onto it. :oops: Yeah, my quality of life went down the crapper with prednisone. :(

gothiclibrarian: I'm glad you made it through. D: I get nervous just driving close to other people's vehicles! >.< I can't imagine getting into an actual accident... I'm glad to see you're somewhat okay, though. :3 (Meaning you got out alive. ^^; )

rainwatercat: Ha! Those chemicals are amusing. >3 I believe I had that once. Once I was put under for a sting procedure and when I woke up they asked me what was so funny and it turned out they had to have been holding me down for the procedure because I wouldn't stop laughing. ^^; (Sorry. It's just a funny story to me XD Those chemicals are gross, though. :3)

I can really agree with everyone. It's a huge comfort seeing so many people who have health problems find comfort here, too. :3 I was a little nervous no one would reply, or there would be only a handful of people and they would just say 'I agree'. I think my need for my BJD's extends a little further than just making me happy and peaceful. Michael gives me a reason to live. After all my problems I'm quite ready to die ^^; (Not in a suicidal way. :3 Just ready.) and the thought of holding my dollfies and being given the opportunity to live one of my dreams without utter disappointment is calming to me. =/ I NEVER get my hopes up for anything anymore, but I find I can feel excited again when I've gotten something new for Michael or my soon-to-be new BJD. ^^ Gives me something to look forward to :3 I never get the chance to hug my BJD's when I sleep, though, because I'm worried about my pets getting him. D:

It's so nice to see other people being helped out of their depression by their BJD's. :3 I like to see so many people in a similar boat to mine being comforted by the same things I am.

14. Yeeps. *hugs you all*
      Well, lemmesee - my Dad died in June of last year. He was 50. That was hard, and a huge loss (duh.) He had been very, very sick for a long time before that. Because his liver was malfunctioning, some nasty chemical stuff (can't think of what it's called. start's with an "A," though...) was getting to his brain, giving him simptoms of mental retardation. My father had always, always been both icredibly smart (my mom thinks he had a genius IQ.) and very self-sufficiant. Seeing him needing our help for everythig was scary, because he'd never asked anyone for any help. (Only four or five people outside of my imediate family knew he was sick, anyway. He didn't even tell his mother or his brothers.) Once he was gone - well, it was so bizarre not having anyone to help all of the time. ... then Fifer, my ginuea pig, bit the dust. So we got a cat.
      ... six months later, we got another cat. The pet total is currently at three cats, one huge dog, and a fish. Three people, and five pets living on a teacher's salary is tough. I wanted another cat, but that was totally out of the question. So I ordered Ichiiro. He's someone I can love and shower with attention, but not have to feed him, take him to the vet, etc.
      I also almost failed my entire year last year. I've always been an A student, so that was really scary. First year of high school, and I'm failing. *_* I've decided that I'm going to be rewarding myself with stuff for him for good grades. Bad grades = no more stuff.
      He can keep me company during school, too. I have my "core classes" (English, history, math, & science) without any of my close friends, and I don't befriend people every easily. So he can keep me company during my classes, and stuff. I can use him for projects, too. :D
      Of course, on top of this, I haven't been to school for a little over a month. I've been diagnosed with mono (which will pass, but damn is it annoying.) Then, when I returned to the doctors' office for a follow up, I find it might not be mono, because I've had it before, so my tests will always show up positive. Very stressful.
      Yipes, that was long.
      ... plus, I've always liked dolls. :chibi

15. wow...

this has really made me see my life in a new light. I had severe depression for a long time, but it's getting better... and I have social anxiety to a point, but I feel so bad for so many of you... my life feels like a picnic right now.

I hope you all feel better soon, and I hope that your dolls continue to give you the support and comfort you need and deserve.

-Nicole

16. Poor Meep! :( Nobody can blame you for your grades slipping. High school's tough enough without going through major trauma. My dad is 60, and I always worry about him getting old. Try to hold on to your friends, and keep looking for new ones! If you're the shy girl in the corner, look around at the other corners. There's probably more people around you who have just as hard a time making friends.

I'll jump on the health issue bandwagon. I have social anxiety, and have a lot of phobias. I'm terrified of driving, for instance. I have been taking Zoloft, and was all super happy on it. Whee! But now I'm getting dizzy from it, so I'll have to find something else. I'm forseeing a future filled with crappy drug reactions. Blech. Everyone has problems, and I think it's good to know that there are others who understand and share your pain, even if it's just a little bit.

17. :o nagiiiiiiiiiiiii! *glomp* i'm so sorry... T___________T *squeeze* i hope everything can being better for you!!! i'ts not a fair thing! :cry:

if there's anything to be doing to cheer you up! tell me!!! *cling* good lucks with everything.

18. I've got lax joints (leading to writers disdonia and lots of other pain...) and it really stresses me out. Especially because I'm only 16 and even after months of therapy my therapist really couldn't find any way to help me other than me resting my hands and joints. Since I'm an art student and really can't see myself doing anything else with my life this depresses me horribly when they hurt too much to draw. I've also got a pretty weak stomach... I had gastritis a few years back and it flares up every time I get a stomach virus (which happened this week forcing me to miss an entire week fo school and a concert that I was supposed to be singing at today... ^-^;;) Anyways... this entire week Trent has been a comfort to me and each night that I couldn't sleep I'd hold him and it gave me some comfort... Also, before I got Trent and my hands hurt too badly to do anything (really, everything I do involves my hands; art, computers, guitar... I'm afraid to let my mother teach me how to knit because I don't want to deal with the pain of not being able to do something else I love) I would just sit there miserable and bored. Now I've got him to hold and talk to. It sounds so simple but it helps me so much. Just staring at him makes me happy and it helps to keep me from being as frustrated. Of course I'm still frustrated at not being able to draw but at least I've got SOMETHING to do rather than sitting there pissed off.

19. Let's see, with my dad's passing 3yrs ago with colon cancer, and my mom having all sorts of major illnesses including getting a pacemaker/heart dibrililator like vice president Cheney has. My dolls in general have kept me sane and getting into BJD's has really helped me cope more. I also have asthma/severe allergies, skin dermatitis that has left my entire body head to toe front to back scarred for life. Make-up can only hide so much, and hot weather makes it worse. I have been depressed when I was in my teens, but my love for dolls and "tomorrow will get better" got me thru. I know exactly how everyone feels about finding solace, dolls are perfect therapy! :grin:. Since I became a nurse 9yrs ago and work with the elderly in a local nursing home some of the illnesses being described I deal with evey night. I have thought about going back to school and changing my career, but I get the feeling I should stay as a nurse a little while longer. I hope to make someone feel better when I talk about my dolls.

20. ( hugs all ) and here I thought that outing myself as mentally ill would only get me (virtual) sideways glances! to elaborate, I have chronic major depression, problems with anxiety and panic attacks, dissociation / depersonalization. I've been hospitalizised for all of the above in addition to anorexia, self injury, and some suicide attempts. goodness, life is just peachy. ( eyeroll ) What I said about escapism earlier is just what I get accused of a lot - really, getting into these dolls has given me something to look forward to and a new channel for my creativity which has been really stagnant lately - taking care of my father as well as trying to deal with my own issues doesn't leave me with much energy or inspiration to spare, but in planning for my first BJD and now receiving her I've been coming up with ideas for ways to customize her, pictures to take of her, clothes to (try to) sew for her... yeah. babblebabblebabble from me.