1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

When you buy a doll, does anyone else have a say in what mold/company you buy?

May 7, 2011

1. I let other people put their input (mainly friends) but not really in the final decision. My brother's friend is sure I won't get the next doll I want, unlucky for him I'm graduating soon... I'll win this! :evil:

2. No, I'm the only person deciding which dolls I get because I pay for them myself. Sometimes I'll ask my boyfriend what he thinks of a specific doll, but he and I both know that if I feel strongly about it, nothing will change my mind ^^

3. I ask other people what they think of the doll that I am buying, so I can be influenced by their opinions. My mother also doesn't really like it if I spend more than $600 on any doll. So I try to stay below that amount. Other than that I choose my own dolls and spend my own money on them.

4. I'm not that well-informed on doll companies as others, so I ask for advice on what company I should look into and stay away, and go from there. But nobody tells me what doll I should get.
      My first doll was thanks to a friend who checked out a few for me and showed it to me. It was my decision in the end, but I'm still happy she found it :3

So yeah, I decide on my own dolls, like everything else. When you pay for it yourself, why should others decide for you? XD

5. I choose all of my dolls entirely. I love it when my boyfriend likes the dolls I choose (which he always has so far) but it wouldn't really affect my decision if he didn't like them. My dolls are vessels for my very personal characters, and I think it is important that I choose them very carefully based on which face is just unarguably my character :)

6. At first when I read the title of this thread, I thought "Definitely not!", but I've noticed if my mother really hates the doll's pictures, it does influence me slightly if I'm wavering on whether or not to buy. If it's a doll I know I'll like, then I don't really care about anyone's opinions. With most dolls I buy, I have a hard time deciding anyway, so even just reading people's comments on DoA can slightly influence my decision.

Also, I pay for all my own dolls, but if someone else was buying for me, I would want them to like the doll. With that said, I don't think I'd let anyone buy a doll for me because if I didn't like it, I wouldn't be able to sell it since it was a gift. (I know I technically could sell it, but it would make me feel guilty.)

7. My parents&family don't even care what dolls I get. Whenever I am looking at pictures and my mom comes in she always insults the ones I like though. For some reason she thinks they all look sad :/ My dad however doesn't care but whenever I buy a boy he says "But that's a boy... why do you want a boy doll? Boy dolls just look gay." But lets me anyway XD Another thing about my dad, he really doesn't let me buy extremely expensive dolls. I showed him Minifees because that's what I was originally going to get but he said they were too expensive for the size. I told him it's because they use such good materials and such but he didn't like it so I kinda had to rule Fairyland of the list for a while :( So pretty much they don't care how they look they just care how much I spend.

8. Not exactly. I usually have a character more in mind than an actual mold. I tell my friends what character I plan on getting and a few of the dolls I'm interested in for it. I ask for feedback to help me decide or if they can thing of a better doll that could work for the character, but ultimately.. it ends up being my choice and most the time it's one of the dolls I was looking at in the first place!
      On the other hand.. and awful lot of my friends ask me to help with picking out dolls to match a character or idea that they're going for. I tend to keep on top of new molds coming out and everything so I can usually give them a handful to meet their criteria.

9. I ask for my girlfriends opinion but we really pick individually.

10. My husband and I give each other input. I mean, our collection is shared. But if he really really wants a particular doll, I won't stop him no matter what I think of it, and vice versa.

11. I always ask my best friend before buying dolls. It's kind of funny actually, because we have complete opposite taste in dolls. Almost every doll I ask her about, she replies with, "it's ugly". XD Then I usually laugh it off and end up getting that doll anyways just so I can see her endure the 'ugly-ness' when it comes. After that she learns to love them! At least for the most part. : P

12. Well...Picking Mei as my first doll was really more so influenced by my mom...She loves elf eared dolls (adored the obitsu heads that had elf ears on Junkyspot) so when I showed her Mei she fell in as much love as I did and when I showed her the light tan...

Hook.Line.Sinker. Sanya was coming home somehow someway...Mako (RS Seng to be purchesed at a later date) haven't even drawn him yet let alone shown her his sculpt...

13. Yes and no.
      I pay for my dolls with my own money, so no one decides anything in the end, but I do ask opinions of my mother and best friend. My friend is very good at spotting things that'll end up annoying me in the long run, like uneven eyes or lips that could end up looking weird. So their opinions mean a lot when looking through dolls, but if I'm head over heels in love with a doll, no one can convince me otherwise. :lol:

14. Sometimes I might ask my friend Shailara who is also in the hobby if she thinks a certain mold fits a certain character in her opinion. Other than that, I don't think anyone else gets a say at all.

15. I like what I like and buy what I want. Sometimes I'll say to my wife, 'I don't know if I should get this right now.. Talk me either into or out of it.' (She always talks me into, rather than out of..) But that woman pesters me daily about dolls! XD She keeps showing me pictures and asking for my input and wanting help picking things out. I'm not really good about that though, because we have vastly different tastes. I like mature, lean, sexy male dolls; she likes tiny, cute little girls. They all look the same to me and I know I'm no help! But she asks for my input anyway. Which consists of a lot of nodding. lol

16. My mom had a say in my first dolls, she helped me choose. I paid for them but since I let her have a say she will dress them. (yay!!)

17. I pay for all my dolls so no. I've had help deciding between two dolls but not like what was mentioned.

18. Since I pay for my own dolls, I decide on my own. It's a process that was very easy and spontaneous to begin with, but I find I'm turning my selections into a much longer process as time goes on. I will go onto a number of sites and save dolls I would like to buy to my wish list. After reviewing them multiple times over a number of weeks, I feel really good about my selection and know I am not choosing a doll based on a knee-jerk reaction. A good example of this process is Iplehouse EID Jessica. I fell in love with the sculpt but after reviewing and looking at a great deal more photos, I've decided she will not be my next doll. There is just something too perfect about her. She's a lovely doll, but not for me right now. I'm glad I waited and did not take the plunge when I wanted to.

Now, of course, in an LE situation, it becomes more difficult and my 'research' has to occur ahead of time when news of a release is posted.

19. Not really, but I usually show the doll to a few people and ask what they think, before I buy. Mostly because I want other people to tell me if they see something odd, off or wrong with the doll.
      But I don't really care what they think about the mold or whatnot.

In fact, I want a DIM Bellosse, and almost everyone I have showed her to has thought that she is butt ugly. This just makes me want her even more, like a little protest perhaps, or just that I think she is cuter because she is such an unusual mold that doesn't appeal to everyone.

20. Nobody has a full-on say in which dolls I buy.

If anybody has any influence in the dolls I purchase, it would be my fiance, but only because I truly respect his opinion. :)