1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

When you buy a doll, does anyone else have a say in what mold/company you buy?

May 7, 2011

1. I will listen to the opinions of my doll friends, since they've been in the hobby longer and have some knowledge as to which companies have less-than desirable quality, plus they might notice something about a sculpt that I didn't notice before. Plus, it's just nice to hear their input. However, when it all boils down to it, I am buying the doll solely with my money and the final decision is still up to me. I don't tell my friends what dolls they can buy(Since our tastes in molds isn't always the same), and they don't try to tell me which dolls I should/shouldn't purchase. We at least have a mutual respect for each others tastes in dolls.

As for family, almost none of them even have any interest in my hobby so I don't really consult them for opinions anyways. Plus, buying dolls has proven to be good therapy for a doll phobia I've been struggling with for years, so I don't really care if they want me to get these dolls or not.

2. Not one bit. I decide as most times it's my money and my time invested into doll. Even gift dolls I pick and hubby pays.

3. My mom only says "oh you got another doll?" and that's it^^ if she likes the doll she will compliment it and if not, she will not say anything. I work and pay for the dolls and every doll item with my money, the only thing she says to me as an advice is "you should stop buying so many clothes and shoes, they have more than you!" =0] other than that, she doesn't get in the way with my hobbies and likes.

However, if I were to buy a doll half&half with someone (it will most likely never happen) it is fair to listen and take into consideration what the other person likes or doesn't like, like the way you and your mom do it. ^^

4. Well, for character dolls, yes. I like to get my besties second opinion on if something looks right to her.
      But just me myself and I? Yeah, I pretty much buy what I like. :)

5. I've been out of the hobby for a few months, but with my last girl, I asked a couple of people their opinions on who I should get. I have yet to regret it :)

6. Yeah, my parents and brother influenced what Doll I got too. I was literally a few clicks away from buying a HZ Wangye till I realized my whole family didn't want him being my first doll.. They said maybe as a third or fourth someday, and I totally respect their opinion and chose not to :3

WangYe was/is my first BJD, and funnily enough, my Mom liked him the most. I realized the moment she showed interest that he would be the one, and so, she was the deciding factor. :) I couldn't have been happier. The scowl kind of put me off, (because my OC isn't an angry one) when I first found him, but now that I have him, I wouldn't have him any other way. :)

7. Eh, not really. :T I'm the one paying for them so it's in the end it's my say. I ask for opinions from my friends if it's based off of an RP character of ours and take that into consideration but that's really about it.

8. Hmm, not really. Since I will be paying fully for them and I'm going to be the one around them for most of the time. At the very most I will just read/listen and absorb suggestions and opinions from various sources, but if I'm in love with a sculpt then that's it. It's not like sculpts cross-company are that similar that one can be replaced by the other.

9. No one else has been consulted so far. I doubt I would ask anyone unless it was someone also part of the bjd community.

10. I've never asked anyone else's opionion when buying dolls; I quietly research the dolls myself, and I don't consult anyone when I decide to buy - it's my money and therefore my decision, and the only person I need to please is myself.

Sometimes my OH makes uncomplimentary comments about dolls when they first arrive - usually due to whatever face-up they arrive with; he knows the first thing I'll do is wipe it and paint it myself though. My younger teen can be pretty opinionated and try to lay down the law on new dolls, but she gets told that when she can afford to buy her own dolls then she can please herself but my dolls are my choice - not hers.

The only influence anyone has ever had has been when I've been considering whether to sell a doll; I'd been seriously thinking of selling Perseus, my vampire Breakaway 05, at one point when we were very short of money - and my OH persuaded me not to. I'm glad he did. :)

11. i pick my own kids on what i want. my Mom tries to influence me or second guess which ones i want but still has not a clue why i like some and not others. just one of those things that when i look at them, i just know. i mean there is pretty, beautiful, no way, and mine. i only get the ones that say mine to me. yet, my Mom still tries to buy me dolls as a surprise....

12. My family tries to do this all the time, and I try not to listen to them. Nobody wanted my first doll to be a boy but I got him anyways because he's my favorite sculpt in the world. They finally stopped complaining when I ordered my beautiful girl last month :lol: The next doll on my list is a boy again and they don't want me to get him because he's a boy :(But I won't listen to them!

13. My husband pays for my dolls, but he does it to make me happy and he has no say about anything but price. Likewise I wouldn't try to tell him what to do with his hobbies.

14. Does it count if my first BJD boy Frei gets the final say in whether or not I should buy so-and-so doll? Nobody comes home without his approval. :sweat

Kidding aside, perhaps only to the extent when I am loving two or more sculpts equally, and need another voice in choosing which one I should go for. ^_^

15. I usually ask my family what they think of a particular doll I want to get, so they do have a little say. They know enough about the hobby that they can give pretty constructive feedback. Sometimes, I spend so much time looking at the end result, that I don't notice tiny details. Like, I was debating a particular dreaming eye sculpt, but when I asked around, every one had the same reaction: "Her eyes are creepy." I realized that it was because you couldn't see the pupil at all, so she was giving a constant pupil-less death glare. They were completely fine with the open eyed version. XD

Unless I know that a certain doll is the one, I take their opinions into account.

16. I generally ask my boyfriend what he thinks of dolls I have my eye on. He seems to know what I want more than I do! For instance, when I bought my Soulkid Yoni-P I thought she was everything I was looking for. He thought otherwise but told me to get what I would be happy with... Turns out, she wasn't really what I wanted and I ended up going with on of the dolls he had suggested earlier.

I take his opinion a lot more seriously now. I've found that if he and I both like something it's a good indication that it will be a successful purchase.

17. nope, not even in the doll i asked for for christmas previously. since i'm extremely picky about dolls already it's probably a good thing too haha

18. Um ... no I have not. I want to buy the dolls that appeal me and I think no one has the right to say "dont buy him/her!" When I like it, i like it.^^
      Everyone has a different taste and that's a good thing! I pay for my stuff, so I can decide for yourself *grin*

I don't have a Doll jet, but my wish list gets longer and longer ... and no one can do anything against it xD Someday my wishes become true~ even without the opinion of others :sweat

*M.-Chan*

19. My Husband, but not in a bad way. He lets me know his thoughts about certain dolls that I may be thinking about getting. If he feels a male doll is too female looking, he lets me know. If he does like any of my dolls it does bother me a bit. But he pretty much agrees with my choices. If I choose them to get his ok, I'm not sure, but I love each and every one even if he doesn't.

20. No one has a say in what dolls I purchase since I buy them myself. If they're gifting me a doll then they get a say as they usually pick out the company, mold, etc.