1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

When you buy a doll, does anyone else have a say in what mold/company you buy?

May 7, 2011

1. Well I'm pretty much the only person who knows about my new hobby lol. Other than people on online forums. So I'm pretty the one who makes the decision. I tend to go with my gut. Like I asked a question about the first doll I bought and there were mixed answers on here. I decided I wanted it and it was my $300 so I got her. Sooo glad I did.

2. No, I think molds and stuff by myself, though there is so many places where people have bought their, so I usually check those sites to see if there is something what I want. And I have fell in love in few different doll company because they have so many different sizes dolls. Though I usually look big ones XD Of course I like smaller ones too like I have two little one Evilyn is 28cm and Nora is 43cm :D And the there is Noyiril who is 70cm and Masaru will come on next month, I guess and he is 62cm :D

3. It makes total sense that since your mom is helping you pay, she gets a say in the sculpt. I got my boyfriend to give me his opinion a lot, and I think he's less than happy with the sculpt I chose, so I guess overall it's my choice. But I definitely respect his opinion a lot, and since we live together I wanted to pick a sculpt he didn't hate, at least.

4. that's actually really lucky to have someone help pay for them with you...with all mine it's all i buy them myself with my own money and all the stuff for them too...my dad hates me getting them, but my mom doesn't really care because i'm not doing anything illegal or bad...but since i pay for them 100% myself, no one else gets to get a say in what i get, i will ask for an opinion though sometimes....

5. No one else gets a say regarding which dolls I get, except my other dolls. And with them, it's not so much a solid opinion as it is the fact that the new doll has to look good with everyone I already have. I've actually let go of some sculpts I want because they wouldn't fit in with a lot of the dolls I've already adopted. :( If we're talking about opinions from other human beings, it's still strictly my decision. :P

6. Yes, my boyfriend. When I have several sculpts I want and can't decide which one to get he helps me decide. It's great that he shows so much interest for my hobby and I really appreciate that.

7. Nobody gets a say in which dolls I get but me (well, maybe my other dolls do...) Since I am paying for them and I am the only one doing anything with them, I don't really care what anyone else thinks of the sculpt/resin color/etc. My mom might laugh at me if I decided to get a male doll (which I plan on doing soon) or might remind me to be careful spending money since I am in college and will probably have to pay for grad school, but choosing the doll itself is my decision.

8. Nope, since I pay for them with my own hard earned money I choose what I like. Of course choosing the mold/company I give it alot of research and consideration. I recently got a doll and my mom was like, "I don't want to buy this doll!" Which was kinda funny thing to say. She usually likes the dolls I buy, but even when she hates one, it doesn't phase me.

9. I'm surprised by the amount of people influenced by others in their choosing process. I would never consult with others! (Unless I was deciding between two, then I might ask for an opinion).

10. Kind of. When I have a doll in mind for a character, I generally go to my boyfriend and my co-writer, to see if they can see the character in the sculpt as well (seeing as I have this habit of liking almost all the dolls I see >.<')

And I also sometimes check with an IRL doll friend who has a lot of dolls from the same companies that I like, to check scaling etc.

11. Not in choosing dolls - that's entirely my own decision. Sometimes I do ask for other's opinions when it comes to choose between things like wigs, eyes and clothes if I can't decide between a couple of options. Dolls cost a lot of money, and I'm the one who will own it, so I think my opinion is the most important when it comes to choosing them. I don't care if other people do/don't like the sculpt I choose if I love it.

12. I pay for my own dolls and I decide everything. But if I'm stuck between two dolls I'll ask my husband what he thinks. He knows me so well and can help me figure out the best one for me at the time.

13. The only person who might have a say in which doll I purchase is my husband. My taste in dolls runs to the what I would say is the type unlikely to cause any controversy- pretty young girl type dolls. He has never expressed an opinion except to say he thinks unassembled dolls are creepy, so I would say, no, no one else helps me decide which dolls to buy.

14. My fiance occasionally will get me a doll as a gift. His only big rule is that he will not pay for a boy doll- unless it's really super special. He's a bit uncomfortable with them being anatomically correct, and so will not buy one- if I want one, I'd have to get it myself, basically. He like girls though, so I can have as many girls as I like. Luckily for me there aren't many boys I'd like to own anyway, and the ones I do are hard to find and expensive.

15. No. I am an adult with a job, so the only one who decides what doll I buy is me.

16. Certainly not. In fact, I hate it when people try to dictate your dolls, whether it's before or after getting them. I've been having that problem a lot recently with one of my boys that just arrived Wednesday.

I understand that a lot of people complain about boys that look like girls in this hobby, modding female bodies, etc, but having so many people tell me how wonderful a girl my boy makes (his head is a male sculpt for that matter, pretty or not) out of the blue reminds me too much of how a mother will make out-of-place comments about their tomboy daughters, unprompted. "You look like a boy". "You know what would look nice on you? A dress". BLEH.

If they're feeling so inspired about it, then they should buy that sculpt and do what they want with it, and shuddup. XD

Nobody should have a say in your doll's style, whether it's the mold, company, clothing style, or any preference of the character, except for you.

17. I'm in a similar boat to Anna. I make the final decision on which dolls I will buy, but I would be lying if I said my husband's opinion didn't influence me a little. If I showed him a picture of a doll I wanted and he said he didn't really like it I would definitely take that into consideration. I think it''s nice to have someone to discuss it with, otherwise I think I'd often end up with dolls I didn't really like that I'd bought on impulse.

18. Nope! The only opinions I take into consideration when buying a doll are those from other doll owners, specifically in terms of things like posability and what to watch for with potential breakage. I'm happy to say that my husband is very supportive of my hobby and doesn't really care what dolls I buy, as long as I'm happy with them.

19. Nope. My money, my decisions. I do take into consideration what other owners have to say when it comes to potential flaws the company might be known for, wait times, things like this. But that's pretty much the end of it. About 99% or the time, I buy dolls to fit specific characters of mine and nobody can really tell me if they're gonna work for them, except myself.
      I don't usually bring up the hobby that much when I talk to my friends either, so they don't even know when I'm getting a new doll, except for those that are interested in the hobby or are already active.

20. Oh, no. This is all my decision.