1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

When you have officially 'joined the hobby'?

Aug 28, 2017

1. When a friend showed me his first doll, and I immediately knew "I want to make one of those", for me that's when I started the hobby. I believe it was in 2005 (?). Few months later I became a member of DoA and ordered my first doll.

2. For myself, I think is when I actually purchased a doll. I already looked for information about bjd before that, but that's the time I actually decided to join this hobby.

3. For me is last year And I kind of got all the dolls I want.

4. I didn't feel like I was truly part of the hobby until I bought my Planetdoll Mini. Having my DC come in as a gift kinda felt like dipping my toe into the hobby, and restringing a DZ Zo and DC Ada also kinda felt like that, but I don't feel like I got serious about the hobby until I brought the PD Mini home and realized that this was gonna be my hobby! She required so much research and planning that I finally felt the 'experience' of it! :dance

5. hmmm i consider when i buy my first doll as when i "officially joined the hobby" because before actually owning one, it was all more speculation. it feels more official when i finally own a doll i can call my own o.o

but this is an interesting question because everyone has their own definition for when they officially joined :D

6. I bought my first floating head May of 2015. I'd say I was starting to get into the hobby. Not fully but just the beginning. I didn't buy a body until August or September, then bought clothes. That's when it the hobby officially started. I started taking pictures and put them on Instagram and Flickr right away. I didn't make a DOA account until February of 2016. I wasn't very active on this site until about August or September of last year.

7. I've liked bjds and would continually end up looking at them again for the past 15+ years, but two months I purchased my first bjd. I consider myself in the hobby from then, since I didn't really know too much about bjds, I just looked at them.

8. I would say it’s either the day I purchased my doll or received my doll.
      But thinking somewhere out there, there are people who haven’t owned any doll but enjoy doing researches and surfing dolls gallery should be counted too!

9. I had actually known about them for a while before joining. Back in high school a friend of mine brought her Dream of Doll Wii (Wi?) to school. It wasn't until after high school that I actually became interested though. My friend brought her DollZone Megi over and I instantly fell in love, ended up purchasing my first doll soon after.

10. In 2012, AI company was still exist...There was an winter event attract me to get my first doll. I found him a new home long time ago though.:sweat

11. For me, I'd say it was after the purchase of several dolls, attending meetups and so on. Purchasing just a single doll, kinda puts it in my overall "toy collecting" hobby.

I don't do much with my dolls these days but also don't think that I've "left" the hobby either.

12. I honestly feel like I joined the hobby the moment I first saw a BJD. I fell in love instantly and started researching and saving up for my first doll right away. I was fully immersed in the hobby from that point.

When people ask I just go off the date that I registered here, which was 2008. I didn't have a doll yet but I was well on my way to getting one.

13. For me, it was when I bought my first doll, back in 2010. I discovered BJD's in 2007 and I couldn't stop researching and reading about them since then. But I really felt that I was part of the community the day I ordered my first doll :love

14. December 2015. i buy my first BJD, a Resinsoul-SD. She was second hand and i didnt like her long time. Now i have 8 (2 coming in next 2 week) and love them all <3
      I sewing for the dolls, make dioramas for small BJDs, take photos and want more and more. :)

15. I officially jointed this hobby in december 2006, when I signed up on a french forum. I bought my first BJD one year later, in december 2017 but I needed this year to decided wich doll I really wanted to buy.

16. I don't think it has anything to do with a specific event, but it's more of when you feel like you're part of this hobby. Buying a bjd or joining doa doesn't make you part of the hobby or not, it's when you feel like this hobby is an interest to you and you started enjoying it.

17. I agree with those who have said each person should define that for themselves.

For me, personally, it was the day I decided I wanted to make owning a BJD a reality rather than something I looked in on from afar. This was a huge turning point for me as I had went from "nope, never, no way, entirely too expensive" to "this is something I really really love and would 100% be worth it for me" slowly over a two-year period. I didn't really engage in the hobby at all up to that point and had a very detached view, but that was the moment I began researching like mad, preparing, saving for the doll, and actually joining DoA officially (after lurking for months).

18. I officially joined this hobby a year ago, however I've known about bjd for quite long time. I first saw a picture of D.O.D Ducan on a blog about 9-10 years ago and I have always been fascinated by the idea of owning a bjd ever since. Unfortunately when I started picking up this hobby, D.O.D company had just been shut down. I got my first bjd last year and I'm on the wait for my 2nd one to arrive.

19. i've always been an admirer ever since i could remember, but i knew i was fully into this hobby when I finally have my own doll ^^

20. I bought my first BJD in December 2015, but I had been wanting to get one since around 2006/2007.