1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

When you have officially 'joined the hobby'?

Aug 28, 2017

1. I felt like I'd joined the hobby when I actually got my first doll. Before that it seemed kind of impossible! The expense was a LOT for me back then (and then I started making money and then I stopped making money! LOL! So I'm back where I started) and just SEEING dolls at conventions (what few dolls there were at the time) didn't make me feel part of the hobby, aside from I now recognized them for what they were.

2. Last year summer when I finally got my first BJD who's my avatar.

3. I would have considered myself part of the hobby sometime towards the start of the year? While i was getting more into it and learning more about dolls and other things and i KNEW for a fact i wanted a doll and i was going to save up for one.

But i think its probably different for everyone!

4. I would say, considering that I only just recently was able to start being an active member of the hobby, That despite having had my first doll since the Christmas of 2015, that I only just joined the hobby recently because it wasn't until now that i was able to start giving my first doll, and soon dolls, the proper attention and the time to learn crafts that'll allow me to be creative with my dolls. ^^

5. I would say when I first joined the forum and started to really talk to others about dolls. Then I dropped out for a while and now...I'm not sure. Dipping my toe in teh water again I think.

6. I feel like I joined the hobby, when I readed an article in a women's magazine about BJDs.
      It was in end of 2013. Love at first sight! :love:love:love

7. Even after I got my first doll around a year ago, I told myself I wasn’t going to take this hobby too seriously. I told myself I’m only going to have this one singular doll and that’s it.

Than a few months after that I bought a few more dolls and made my DOA account and thought to myself, “Welp, I guess I’m here for good now.”

8. For me personally, it didn't feel official until I ordered my first floating head; just starting that process felt like committing to be a member of this community.

9. It's hard to say exactly when one is it. For me it was one I committed to myself that I would get one. And until I had my first one I would get to learn as much as I could on how to do face-ups, and make the character and to properly learn about them.

10. I considered myself "in the hobby" when I owned a ball-jointed doll.

11. Lurked for years, finally bought first doll in January :D

12. I considered myself part of the hobby when I started doing research and even trying to sculpt my own BJD out of old clay when I was in middle school. As I grew up the idea of them never left me, but it wasn't until I actually was in the payscale to afford BJDs did I start doing research on the companies and what all was available. That being said, even though I now own a few dolls and a couple heads, I don't think I'll feel officially in the hobby though until I finish fleshing out a full doll character (aka, the head on the body I want, face-up done, name chosen, etc). Once I can start taking pictures and have an actual subject that I feel connected to, that feels "finished," then I feel like I've "made it" in a way, heh.

13. Rather than saying in or out of the hobby, I think it makes more sense to me to say when did it become a hobby to me. I feel like I only "committed" to it being a hobby when I set my sights on possibly getting a doll. I definitely enjoyed viewing other peoples dolls for a few years prior to that but I wouldn't really have called it a hobby at the time (just a general interest). I only started researching BJDs in the year before I got my first doll. I felt like I learned so much before I even touched a doll! So I think that was when BJDs became a hobby for me.

14. I suppose I considered myself fully in the hobby when I ordered my first doll, but I think it’s also fair to say you’re in the hobby when you’re researching and saving up for your first doll too.

15. Not really sure.
      I started to get really interested in BJDs and DDs in 2014, watching videos, seeing different websites and stuff people created for their art-dolls. However, I was a teen at that time, I only knew a really few places to buy BJDs(Fairyland, Volks, Luts and DoD) and I was incredibly broke. I couldn't even afford the 'cheapest' models without faceup.

In 2018, I discovered DoA and I could also know so much companies and dealers than before. This time, I was so undecided about choosing the first model.

One year later, I wanted a Nicola-B from DC, but I was too broke and I wanted a human version, so I learnt that hybrids were a possibility.

This year I finally bought it.

So, I would say, between 2018 and 2021? :huh?:

16. I mean I consider when I "officially" joined was when I actually put money down on a doll. Before that I was just "potentially" part of the hobby. That said, I think it's kind of just personal, because there's plenty of people who don't have the funds to get a doll for a long time, but if they want to consider themselves part of the hobby, then I would agree they're part of the hobby.