1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

When you just can’t stop...

Nov 7, 2020

1. I feel this! I'm new to the hobby and have 2 dolls on the way... and I'm considering two more. The thing is, I want an MSD to bring to cons with me someday after the pandemic, and I also want a 70cm Loongsoul or Charm Doll... or both! :XD:

2. I have recently discovered Loong Soul and remembered Charm Doll exists.

But I'm returning to the hobby after another break. I like my breaks, to then come back and add more dolls. :sweat

I've only added one (on layaway) yesterday, but I've got a sizeable [mixed] family unit I'd like to shell. And I'm lining up potentials before having the funds to buy them, so I'm itching already. I just want all the beautiful dolls!

I'm even going so far as to pick out the best sculpts to portray the children as they mature...

3. You'll slow down sooner or later. Your collection will eventually start to get to a point where you have (or have had and moved on from-) most of the sculpts you were interested in. Some years may see a lot of new things pop up that you want to try out, but that likely won't happen as often as it did when everything was new.

What I'm saying here is that there IS a light at the end of the tunnel, even though that might not really be the end of the track. :lol:

4. Yeah, this year was a little crazy for me too. I've bought 3 dolls this year after several years of being out of the hobby. To be honest there's still 2 that I'm waiting to buy, one because the pre-order won't be open until next year (Rugged Realism Geneo), and the other because I want to make sure I have enough to buy Geneo during the first pre-order. I've been having a lot of fun though, All of my dolls have been getting a good amount of new mods, face-ups, and clothes.
      That said, I'm getting really impatient for that pre-order.

5. Oh man I feel all of you! It's comforting to know I'm not the only one that got a doll shopping spree.
      I decided to stop now, for real, and wait until I get my third doll to see what I wanna do. I think 3 dolls is a perfect number to start things (but I admit if I found a particular artist head I want... Well, doubt I could resist the temptation)

6. I found it really difficult a few years ago when all the companies came out with centaurs and other fantasy dolls. I was very naughty.

7. I can’t stop buying clothes and accessories! I have no more room or enough dolls to display them!!!

8. This feels more like a BJD confessional of being naughty. I too, have been naughty, and don't plan to stop anytime soon. I have plenty of dolls, maybe..... but new ones are being made all the time. Thankfully, they are at luxury prices and I have to take care of necessities first. If little me could see how life has turned out, my little heart would have burst! I'd like to have 3 or 4 BJDs come join my crew for 2021. We will see how that goes. I'm making myself accomplish a couple smaller goals before placing an order for one, like giving faceups to those already here in need!

I think the main motivating factor to a BJD purchase is usually work related stress. I work in healthcare, which is becoming an increasing challenge. It's not so much due to the current situation with microbial colonization, but more to do with the factors of the exponentially increased aged population, decreasing quality of decisions of the general public (violence/drugs) and constantly learning to adapt to new equipment and methods. One appeal of dolls is that they are sort of like people in some ways, but they never die, do harm to themselves or others. Doll doctoring is so much easier than my job (no, not a physician). Dolls are my escape and cope. The more stress I have, the more that I want to spend free time being as happy as possible. Sometimes just thinking about a project I want to do, planning out the steps is good enough. Other times, I stalk promo pages and grin over pictures.

The Ouch factor is that my dolls also remind me of the friends I've made through the hobby. I'll stand behind this 100%, but the best people I've ever met in my life are doll collectors. Otherwise, without the hobby, I would have never met them. I really miss seeing my friends for as long as I've gone without. So, in the meantime, I'm really looking forward to seeing them when the time is right. We will all have a lot of catching up to do!

9. I feel this. When I fall for something, I tend to fall HARD. I sort of blame my collecting tendencies on the influence of Pokemon on my childhood - "gotta catch 'em all", of course! I fell into the BJD hobby this summer, and I've got two dolls so far and another I'm waiting to be shipped, and yet I keep deliberating which ones I'll get next. The wait times are certainly something I'm trying to get adjusted to, it's almost painful haha

10. I had a very similar experience this year, finding a new doll size and just going sorta nuts about it. *_* For me it was 30cm dolls. Most of my dolls are between 40 and 50 cm, and I had sort of written off smaller dolls as too "babyish".

I have to admit, since I started shopping on taobao around a year and a half ago I've definitely found myself buying more. I'm mostly just addicted to the "treasure hunt" aspect of it, though, because I have no Chinese language training so navigating taobao sometimes feels like a big complex puzzle to solve. But also everything is cheaper and easier to splurge on... especially now that I've been focusing on artist dolls/heads with limited ordering periods. :sigh Every time I say "no more dolls" I see another preorder with a really temptingly low deposit price.

11. 2020 has been the great dollening for me >u< in 2019 i got my first doll and felt like that was good, i could maybe see myself with one more but not a lot. well.. this year i have gotten 4 more dolls!! two were preorders, one was secondhand, and the other i just put on layaway impulsively tonight!! there is something about waiting for something so special to arrive that is very exciting (oh no) i forgot that being autistic i will end up hyperfixating on dolls i want and nothing will stop me from saving up for and buying a doll once i decide i want it. it's too hard to tell myself no!!

12. Technically I only bought 2 dolls in 2020. One in July and one in December. One of them isn't even for me. It is very hard to stop looking at the potential though. Especially when sales are bring advertised.

I'm doing my best to focus on my one right now but I never stop window shopping.

13. I can't stop either :XD: I got 8 dolls in 2020 (and I started collecting them in 2020 too haha), plus 1 on layaway that I will receive in a few months.
      Every time I'm like "now it's good, I got all the bjds I really wanted" and then I discover new ones :aeyepop: So my wishlist is still growing and I'll probably get more bjds this year! :love

14. I keep telling myself my collection is "done" but then I keep seeing new releases and imagining new possibilities with dolls I didn't consider previously.

Currently have been considering a cat head on a big baby body, a 100% transparent body, and I am trying to decide if Doll Chateau Noah is going to make the jump from "pretty to look at" to "I want it in my house" because I love fantasy dolls but I am never sure if I will do enough stuff with them.

15. Haha I guess we are all in the same boat. I do hope it will be the same for me as with lolita fashion where I bought a lot in the beginning but much less as the years went on.

So far I have just ordered my fourth doll since getting in to the hobby this summer. I do blame the pandemic as my workload has easily doubled since last March and throwing myself into BJDs has helped me deal with the work related stress. Luckily I also earn more as I got promoted :).
      But I have told myself to stop looking at BJD companies this year and to focus on sewing instead.

16. I'm planning to stop buying dolls for the most part after I work out my last two characters. In the mean time I have 4 full dolls and a floating head. I do have a terrible habit of window shopping for dolls though LOL so who knows. I haven't gone overboard on dolls this year but went on a shopping spree for clothing and accessories.

I was really happy with my doll finds this year. Got 50% off an April Story Diana (who's been on my wishlist for years) and also got an IOS Valentine head with the original face-up second hand :thumbup

I'm an SD girl. My dolls are all 55-65 cm at the moment with the exception of my token YoSD (22ish cm). I like the sculpts in this range more and am not so drawn to the childish aesthetic. There are a few MSD sculpts out there I like the look of but I'm way too deep into SDs to start switching characters to MSD size now!

17. I am waiting for pre order of Rugged Realism Geneo as well!! So excited but also haven’t seen her post any in IG recently.

18. I’ve all ready posted here, but since January 1st, I seem to have bought two dolls...with plans for at least one more. Like others have said, I think I’m done, and then new releases or a secondhand doll I thought I was never going to find shows up.

19. Yeah, I've noticed that too, I know that there's a lot of invisible work that they have in these final stages so I assume they're just waiting until they have something more to post. I think they said when they were working on the feet that it would take a month and some change to prepare the final pieces for casting. I'm just trying to stay hopeful at this point

20. I was meaning to take some time off from buying dolls, but found a grail I didn't even realize I had on the Marketplace, so of course I had to buy her. I am now determined to re-start my break from buying dolls until I sell a few!