1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Where do you keep your large dolls?

Apr 4, 2017

1. I live in a tiny dorm, so for now my single doll is in a box under my bed at night and seated on my bed or desk during the day. But I don't have pets to contend with.

2. In a studio apartment with birds that get at least a few hours of free-flight every day, every doll in our house has to sit on a sheltered shelf! They're pretty stacked up now--the lower shelf has five SD boys crammed into just a foot and a half of space! Lap-sitting is a must, no matter whose dignity it harms. I hope to eventually get either a large glass curio or a nice looking 'entertainment center' type of piece for display, but that will have to wait for a larger living space!

3. Hello everyone. I have yet to get my first bjd but am thinking how when I do finally get her that I will want to look at her all the time. I live in a house and have children and pets so can not really just walk her around with me and sit her on the sofa or bed etc. I was wondering what everyone else does. Do you have special allocated shelfs or I don't really know!?! Thank you

4. I have a shelf in my bookshelf for my bjd's. I have pets so I also have glasdoors to protect :) It's a Billy from IKEA

[​IMG]

5. My dolls generally stay in my home office, although they are sometimes in the living room as well.

6. http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a614/clothsprogs/Dolls/IMG_1723_zpse550fd74.jpg

Most of my dolls have a corner of the livingroom, some of the others are on sheles in the spare bedroom and the rest are wherever they have been put down aorund the house.

EDITED TO ADD: I didn't mention pets - we have cats - two just-out-of-kittenhood athte moment, the most they've ever doen is hide under the skirts of one of the Victorian SD's and sit on the laps of some of the others. A previous cat used to curl up with the dolls if she was in trouble for any reasion (the dolls, after all, weren't mean to her), the others ignored them.

As for children. I'm not precious about my dolls, I'm the one who hands my dolls to kids who come up asking questions at doll meets in public places. One of my dolls went home from a convention with a friend's toddler (in a dolls-pram), and had a couple of weeks with them until I next babysat and collected it back (that was some years ago, the toddler in question is nearly 12 now). I'm more worried about my porcelain dolls in the hands of small children than my resin gang who are all much more resillient.

Teddy

#26 Teddy, Jul 5, 2017
      Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
    7. My room was once the masterbedroom of my family's house so it has 2 closets. The one with a door is my "dolly closet". I have a lot more dolls than just BJD though so they have overflowed into my bedroom and studio. The BJDs stay in their boxes in the closet to protect from light, however.

8. I don't really have the children/etc problem. I live with my parents however. My dolls live more or less in my bedroom. my MSDs have taken over my bookshelf and my SDs currently live on my dresser. (But i'm adding 2 more near the end of the summer, soooo not sure how I'm going to remedy that one Lol!)
      Occasionally they sit in the furnished basement on the table and computer desk, because they coincide with my sisters dolls but with family always over for the summer and my careless brother in town, they're safer in my room. xD

9. Mine stay on my desk in my bedroom as of right now. (I'd like to make a diorama for at least one of them eventually though, 'cause I'm running out of desk space.) I don't have to worry about the children thing, and my dog 1) isn't allowed in my room (too much shedding) and 2) couldn't care less about my dolls if she tried. Generally, a decently high shelf should be a fine place to keep dolls.

(Also, if you're worried about kids, I'd avoid making the dolls "off limits." From what I've seen [talking from secondhand experience only here], the more you say "hey, don't touch those very expensive dolls on that high shelf there," the more the kids will want to do just that. If the kids are curious, take the dolls down and introduce them. If they aren't forbidden fruit, there's less reason to try pulling them off shelves or messing with them while no one's looking. [That's just what I've read, of course. All kids and situations are different.])

10. I collected transformers before I started collecting dolls. Originally I had all my displays devoted to the robots, but now that I've got some resin family joining the group, there's going to have to be some rearranging, haha. It'll be interesting to see my new Soom Crow poised next to my Unicron! :lol:

11. I have never really had an issue with the pets or the kid with my dolls. Granted 95% of the time so far she's been in her box...but thats more because I don't have any real room for her. We move every 3 years or so and this time we downsized considerably, losing our garage and a few square feet. I will say we have one girl out usually while something is being worked on and she's never come into harms way. We have a hobby room where the computers/other hobbies happen to be and the kid knows to be 'careful' in that room.

Granted, our dogs are smaller, and older (a beagle and a corgi) so they wouldn't accidentally bump into the tables but they pay no mind to the dolls. The cat can be an issue, but not normally with the dolls...but their boxes. The second I open one he seems to think the pillows are made especially for him.

The kiddo is very careful with the dolls, we bought her one of her own (a 1/4th size though, ours are both SD) so she understands that she has to be careful and can't man-handle them like some of her other toys. I've let her hold my doll on multiple occasions and wouldn't worry so much about her walking into the hobby room and playing with them.

I do worry sometimes about if she were to have a friend over and if they wanted to play in the hobby room...There are a few of her friends I wouldn't worry about but others that seem like the Tasmanian Devil every time I see them.

12. I have a craft room that holds all my sewing and knitting supplies and my dolls. They have a small bookshelf to themselves right now.
      I don't have kids, but I do have 2 cats - and one of them loves chewing/eating string, so he's permanently kept out of that room (the other cat isn't as bad, but he would hide forever).

13. I have a sewing studio with a glass enclosed case where I can display my dolls and the rest live in their boxes. I have grand children and pets but they are not in my working studio, it's in a separate building. I do let the grand daughters handle certain dolls. They all have AG dolls that are special to them so they respect Grandma's dolls. I recently made a diorama for a tiny Alex doll leaves that I took to the PNWBJD expo, (won 3rd place prize for the diorama) that I put downstairs and they are using it for their "haunted" dollhouse. It is being well loved, but other than my youngest grand daughter unwrapping the box that held the electrical components ( in all fairness it was covered in brightly colored wrapping paper left over from Christmas) it is still standing and the lights are still working. :eusa_pray I make certain things very accessible as I'd love if a couple of them to love the hobby and dolls as much as I do. With 12 grand daughters, 3 grand sons and counting, I',m going to need to buy more BJD's so I can leave one to each of them, lol. Now if I can convince their grandpa, I could go doll shopping. :mwahaha

14. I wish I did! I keep them in their boxes and take them out to dress and play with from time to time. I've had some dolls yellow, so i'm careful about too much exposure to the atmosphere. Here in the south, it's so humid that everything oxidizes/changes color very quickly.

I would love to get another display case for my bedroom one day--if I come across a used one for a bargain price, I will snap it up.

I do admire the sets and homes people build for their dolls,i do not have the inclination to do that though :)

15. I have a hobby room with a door to deter pets mostly. My kids are now older and well trained so they are not an issue. :) I have shelves, also from Ikea for my dolls and I have black out shades on the windows to deter excess light going into the room. When I was in our previous home, my dolls were in the office I shared with my late husband. It also had a door to deter pets and other people's kids but my kids were little then. If you teach your own kids right from when they are little, they are never an issue with your collectibles. You spend more time worrying about their friends! LOL!

16. Yeah. All available flat surfaces (tops of dressers, etc) Basically my living room. I also cleared out half my books to give my dolls some shelves LOL

17. Mine live on a shelf in my studio. It's the least bright room in my house, which is nice because I can control how much light hits them (ideally none but I am not actually a vampire). It's nice because I can look up at them while I work or pull one down if I'm stuck on a project and fuss until my mind is clear. Thankfully my cat doesn't care about them at all, but I do keep him away from their clothing and wigs and the like in case I ever sell them. Nobody needs cat hair on stuff. Nobody.

18. I have two sets of matching display cabinets for my crew... one in a hallway nook between the living room and dining room on the main level of my house and the second in the upstairs room I use as a library and sewing space. With the cabinets' glass doors, I can still see them all, but they're protected from dust, stray cat fluff and the curious little hands of occasional young visitors.

19. My 2 SDs are in my bedroom, sitting on my pile of unopened anime figure boxes. My shelves are all filled with anime figures so that's the only space they have haha

20. Two shelves. One for my MSD's/Yo-SD's and one for my tinies and their dollhouses. It's why I can't justify a fourth tiny lol I only have room for three houses and tiny #1 would not tolerate roommates. One's a legit dollhouse my mom found for 5 bucks at a thrift store, one's one of those Target house shelves (This thing: http://www.schoolofdecorating.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/DIY-Modern-Peg-Doll-Nativity-Set.jpg ) and one's a faux book https://img.tradeindia.com/fp/1/001/510/522.jpg (Saw it on one of the tiny threads here on DOA and on MyFroggyStuff's channel. Had to get my claws on one) The shelf my MSD's are on actually used to be where I kept my many jewelry boxes until I got Avalon and Kazumi and was terrified they'd get knocked over. I packed up the boxes and sent them downstairs so I could house my lovelies. The tinies village was a storage shelf until I needed a space to photograph my OT dolls when I first got into the hobby.

I keep saying I have no room but in reality I could fit another MSD or two and another Yo-SD definitely... I need to keep saying no to myself.

(Psst @dollie, I have some serious bookshelf envy. ;) That's my other hobby, I love collecting books and reading.)