1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Where do you put your dolls and do you find them distracting?

Feb 24, 2018

1. I keep my dolls in the darkest corner of my room: my desk. My bookshelf/dresser blocks the window and effectively creates a space that's basically a small, dark room. Even though light doesn't hit them I still have my floating head in his box and I have a (clean) hand towel over my other doll. I don't use my desk unless I'm working on something and even then I rarely look up at my dolls so they aren't distracting.

2. Most of my dolls r on the stands behind the glass. They r in my sleeping/working room, they r all the time right in front of my sight, n it gives me a huge satisfaction feeling... like everything is on its right place... any time two or three dolls are on my table or chair or bed so that i can play with them. I change them like once a month maybe... n there are a couple of special dolls that are sort of handgum, that I love to touch n move the joints n pose them n take them to work n to the trips.
      When i travel away from home i miss the dolls a lot, like if they were living beings.
      I dont find them distructing at all.

3. Mine is usually is on the dresser or my office table. I try to avoid sunlight getting near them as much as possible and try to post them differently everyday. I'm not sure why but I feel like they are more alive when I move them around.

4. My single BJD is on the desk where I spend most of my time when home. Kind of a shame as it's a giant house and there would be much more decorative places. I have my vintage Kirby vacuum collection in the Tiki room but seldom even go downstairs. I should probably sell them. Maybe I'll bring one up and rotate them. I should get out (of my office) more.

5. I'm living in a very small apartment, so I have to manage some space because my boy is quite big(I just ordered another big guy and a smaller guy and I would end up sleeping on the floor lol). Imagine a room that has a bed and everything in it including bathroom, I have to put my boy on my work desk before going to bed and when I get up I move him to my bed so I can use the desk. However I'm still distracted a bit because I usually turn back and look at my boy sitting lovely on my bed. He always puts a big smile on my face.

6. My dolls have their own appartment in my bedroom (two bedrooms, one playroom and one kitchen/bathroom). I display them when I'm there, however when not they stay in their bed, with a scarf on them to protect them from the sun and from my cats.

7. I've just ordered a doll and I've been wondering where to put it too :/ I barely work anyways though, so I'll probably be just as distracted as usual lol

8. I store my dolls in the bookshelf and some of them are in the boxes.
      These pretty guys can be a real distraction, I always end up moving them around the room, changing their poses, fixing hair etc instead of working/studying so I tend to keep them away. When I need to find some bjd-related stuff or just to find some inspiration, I take them out and place on my study table.

9. I have a dollhouse for my girl and a hanging cubby for her as well.

10. Mine are on built in shelves (meant for shoes) in my closet. They share that space with my Charlie Bears.
      I wish they could be out where I could easily play with them, but I have two kids under three years old. My oldest loves to cuddle my dolls and although he's careful, I wouldn't want an accident to happen. So my dolls are put way up so that they can't be distracting. :kitty2

11. I have my walls lined with large bookcases and cabinets and most of those are filled with my dolls. lol The bookcases I have bedsheet "curtains" attached to keep light and excess dust out (and to discourage the cats from trying to hide there). My big girls (the Trinities and Lusions) are seated in child-size chairs in front of those shelves. My goal is to eventually find a two-bedroom apartment (or to just buy a house) so I can have a spare room strictly for the dolls and all their stuff.

12. I have a Doll/Crafting room solely dedicated to my dolls and my crafts.

I have some amazing corner shelves my husband made...

Then he made me an amazing work desk with a shelf under it and above where it keep my dolls...

I love shelves and mine are usually sitting right in front of me on the upper shelf above my desk.

I find them both distracting and not distracting...

When I'm working on a doll diorama I like them there to inspire me or I grab them and put them in the diorama to see where things should be placed.

If I'm supposed to be doing other things like house cleaning, they distract me b cause I'd rather play and take pictures than clean...:XD:

13. My doll is currently living in a drawer in my closet, because if my daughter sees her I won't have a doll anymore. I'm not sure what I'm going to do once the doll can come out of the closet, though, because one of my cats likes to eat hair (most mornings I wake up to him chomping on my hair) and I know he'd eat wigs if he could. She'll probably go into a cabinet in the living room, with a glass door.

14. Totally understand how you feel! I have cupboard when I store my dolls in. It's kinda like a 'on' and 'off' switch for the hobby. :3nodding: I close the cupboard when I'm busy & I open it when I've got time on my hands. Why? Because the dolls are very eye catching and I find my self thinking about tangent of things i want to do~ Whether it's "ooh today is a good day for photography", "I wonder if that bjd outfit I saw for sale would fit", "I want to check of den of angels for sales" or "dang her hair is messy let me fix it up". :eek: Then a hour or more is gone and I'm wondering where did all the time go!!! Haha non-see-through cupboards are the best solution for keeping the hours spent on dolls in check! At least for me!! :whee:

15. My MSDs usually have chairs that sit on my desk/workspace because i draw a lot of crafting inspiration from them. My one tiny has a Lori Doll camper where she sits most of the time unless i've got her out to do something with her. X3

16. I never display any of my dolls for a long period, but whenever I finish a photo shoot and too lazy to put them back in their box, they will sit on the sofa and luckily... never succeed in distracting me, while I watch the TV, ahaha... :lol: :lol:

17. I keep my dolls on a wooden cabinet with glass doors in my bedroom. I can see them from my desk so yes! they can be distracting but also helpful because when I'm feeling stressed I just take a look at them and they ease me.

18. Mine are all over my house LOL I like looking at them, determining if they need a new outfit, fuss with their wigs, clothes, posing, the little 'set' they are inhabiting. They really don't distract me, tho. Oh, & I've got 2 cats but they do NOT bother the dolls much :D

19. Mine are all together on my dresser right across from my bed :) I don't find them distracting but instead comforting and inspiring, when I look up at them I want to draw or take pictures or flesh out their characters more.

20. I currently have two tinies lounging in the living room. My other dolls are boxed up because I have limited space. I love being able to see them because due to my baby boy I haven't had a lot of dolly time lately.

They're not that distracting to me. In fact when I studied I usually held them on my lap and fiddled with their wig, hands, feet or clothing as it helped me focus.