1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Where do you think you'd be if you weren't in the doll hobby?

Nov 3, 2019

1. Like other commenters, I already collected many other types of toys and dolls before collecting these kind, so I would be in the same place I am now. I stopped collecting BJD ten years ago, but I still own all the ones I got since 2003-2004. I still play with them from time to time, but I am more heavily concentrated on collecting anime and (Japanese) video game related toys. While I was actively shopping for BJD, I was still purchasing other toys, but I was saving more money towards the BJD purchases I made. I have no plans to add anymore BJD to my collection (with the exception of a mature-ish tiny that was recently released, if they don't discontinue him before I can mange to get him), so I'm done with adding BJD to my collection, but I'll never be done collecting dolls and toys of other kinds in my life time. (:

#21 Enzyme, Nov 4, 2019
      Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    2. Wow, this isn't in the same light as some of the other responses here but I remember when I first was introduced to BJDs, thinking that it wouldn't do me any good because it would distract me from my major pursuits (education for example.) and just feel out of reach (was poorer then.) A bit pessimistic but, yeah. It seems a little sad in hindsight that I'd think of trying to give up something that'd make me happy + is so fun and full of creative expression. It got me looking into garage kits and sculpting, and showed me that I LOVE miniature clothing and that demi couture-style sewing (I believe is the term?) fashion is much more feasible for an amateur at a smaller doll scale. Photography and painting 3D figures, and the companionship of your favourite dolls...

I mean I wonder if I would have just spent my time on something that's also nice but with less creative avenue? Maybe digital art. Even then it probably would have led me to sculptures in some way, like through 3D modelling.
      I wonder if I'd be more diligent with my studies or goals? I actually did think about this. Anyways I don't really know the answer either BUT I do like dolls and while I would have probably been happy with whatever other hobbies I'd have picked up, I've gotta say this one makes me feel pretty good! I would call it a Good Hobby to have found.

3. If I wasn't in the doll hobby, I'd probably be off somewhere with the same amount of money that I have now (none), but a lot more non-doll-related art supplies.

4. I think...I would just still be looking for bjds...

I knew this hobby was for me the first instant I saw a bjd. They were exactly something I had always hoped existed. So in a way I can't really imagine not ever having my bjds, it seems too sad. They have been in my life so long now and I've invested so much more than money into them... just the thought, time, characters, skill sets that I've practiced...all that revolve around being in this hobby.

I guess I'd have more space in my living room? :XD:

5. Honestly, I don't know what I would do without the hobby. It's true that I had taken a hiatus for a few years and really got into makeup for a while. Which was nice and I still enjoy it, but when I had my son I had to put that away too. It was really overwhelming for me to not have some creative outlet. My mother suggested quilting since I had learned to sew on a machine and that was fun for a bit, but I wasn't able to actually do any really quilting because my machine just wasn't built for it in my opinion. I often thought it would break down with how often I broke my needles. I had only broke one needle on my machine ever sewing for the dolls and it was on a denim skirt. Anyway, once I was able to take up the hobby again (and makeup too every now and then) I just felt such relief. It has been the best stress relief and self satisfying experience to me. I used to draw every day all day when I was younger, couldn't think of anything else. Just sort of stopped moved to California with my now husband/then boyfriend and started working my ass off to live. And had my daughter a little over a year later. It always left me regretting. I do some drawing now, but mostly silhouettes of clothes or just rough (yeesh) sketches. But the hobby I just picked up again and haven't stopped. And I constantly see progress in being self sufficient in it too, for the most part which was my goal. Spend money on the dolls and the things I can't make but do the rest myself. I'm still trying and I'm happy.

If I had to make a guess on the spot I would probably be miserable and stressed out all the time like I used to be. Bored with everything and burntout on life. I wouldn't say that the hobby was a way to ignore problems but it's a way to channel my energy into something positive while I deal with all the negative responsibilities. I've stopped stress shopping (makeup never had that effect), impulse purchases became fewer and more "planned". And my daughter and I connect through our dolls (she's more into snapstar and wild hearts/monster high) and sewing clothes for them. My son loves helping me with accessories and he talks to my dolls and gives them presents. It's adorable. And my husband says he loves how happy I am when I'm working on them. Even if their pricetags can be alarming. I admit, I stressed him out a bit this year. (Sorry Hubby!) But it's the first time I was able to responsibly do this much dolly buying. He's used to me spending maybe $50 every other month for some kind of accessories. Lol. Anyway, sorry for the wall of text.

6. I collect anime figures so I probably would have used the money I have spent on dolls on figures instead. Dolls or figures, I like surrounding myself with pretty stuff!

7. I would have a lot more money! But I would have missed learning new skills, making friends, and growing as an artist. The bjd hobby has led me to so many new things!

8. I am very "obsessive" (for lack of a better word) and I have to be collecting something and pouring all my time and money into something at all times. If it wasn't dolls, it would probably be another kind of toy. If it wasn't toys, I'd probably be playing an online video game and use any spare money to buy random things in their cash shop. :3

9. I've fallen hard back into BJDs and working on my dolls again after falling off for a couple of years, but I've always had various hobbies before and after. I'm a gamer, writer, cosplayer, and fully fell into Lolita fashion and started building my wardrobe over the past few years so a lot of my spare money has gone straight to my frilly wardrobe.

Now that I've fallen back into this hobby again, there are a couple of my dolls that I want to dress in Lolita/Jfashion in general.

#29 WrathChu, Nov 4, 2019
      Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    10. I bounce back and forth between a few hobbies, if its not BJD's its art plushies or build a bears or clothes or purfume or jewlery...I can allways find something to spend money on. lol. im a collector at heart.

11. I would use it to save for my other hobbies including figures and art supplies. I would like to say I’d save my money, but I collect so many different things, it would probably go to adding to my collection.

12. LOL itabags and anime figures, yes that would be me as well...

But before it was kind of manga -> doujinshi -> anime character goods -> visual novel bl games and otome games -> kpop -> doll.... took me a long way to get here but ya, i still think dolls are the most expensive XD

13. I took a seven year hiatus from dolls, so I already know what I’d be doing if I weren’t into dolls - collecting Nendoroids, anime figures, and assorted Hatsune Miku merchandise. Plus I would go much harder on cosplay.

Which, mind you, I still want to do, but now I have to find some kind of balancing act LOL

14. I cycle through hobbies too and hadn't taken my dolls out of their boxes in 3+ years until a few days ago. (I actually came on here to sell one and ended up ordering him a bunch of new things instead so...I guess I'm back?) In the meantime I've been collecting Disney pins and somehow accidentally started stanning BTS haha.

So now that I have three main hobbies that can all get pretty pricey, please pray for my wallet. :XD:

15. I literally cannot remember a time in my life when I did not love dolls. True, when I was tiny there were no ABJDs, but my love of articulated, poseable, customizable dolls has been lifelong. And by "customizable" I mean with interchangeable wigs, which was actually a thing back in the day.

If I didn't love dolls, I wouldn't be me.

16. Wasting money on something else, I'm sure! I'd probably have more pets. Haven't bought a doll in awhile. Just bought a turtle. $10 turtle but with everything she needs for a good enclosure it's up in BJD price ranges.

17. I'd probably be really unhappy.

I got into the hobby right before making a really big change in my life-- moving a thousand miles from home to live with my long-distance girlfriend. I've had a really hard time adjusting; I'm very lonely at times without my little brothers and my closest friends, may of which I've known since the sixth grade (eight years ago!!). I don't do much other than go to my full-time job and sometimes work on my lengthy fanfiction. BJDs have provided me not only a creative outlet and a way to connect with others/make friends w nearby doll collectors, but also a sense of comfort and a source of pride. I work very hard on my dolls, I spend a lot of money on them, and I am very, very proud of my work.

Maybe I'd be customizing fashion dolls, or spending money on expensive true crime-themed subscription boxes like "Hunt A Killer". Neither of those would make me as happy as my dolls do, though.

18. I was really into the adoptable community before I got into dolls. I kind of stopped collecting adoptables because I wanted to spend my money on dolls instead. It was a positive change for me -- adoptables are cool, but I like having a physical item to collect and an offline community to engage with.

19. I'm not sure where I'd be if I wasn't in the doll hobby. My favorite part of the hobby is designing clothes for my dolls, and I am really not sure if that would manifest in designing clothes for people if I wasn't making clothes for dolls. Cosplay is... intimidating, and involves dressing up as a character, not making your own outfits. Not to mention I don't like wearing makeup.

20. If I wasn’t in the doll hobby, I would have a lot more antique and vintage teapots to my collection. I also would have more Cambridge elegant depression glassware in my collection.