1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Which do you like more?

Mar 14, 2017

?
  1. Head caps. I don't do a lot of face changing!

39.3%
  2. Head caps. I like to have as few seams as possible on the face!

31.8%
  3. Face plates. It makes eye changing easier!

12.7%
  4. Face plates. I have a sleeping face, a winking face, a surprised face....

8.1%
  5. Other. Secret option 5!

8.1%
    1. I definitely like the seamless look that headcaps give better.

2. I don't actually own a doll yet but it seems to me like faceplates seem more convenient because if you want a sleeping doll you don't have to buy a whole extra head, or even an extra doll! You just buy the faceplate and quickly swap it out

3. Hmmm... I guess I will vote #5. I like the idea of having the ability to change the doll's expressions, however it took me about four years to get around to painting the sleeping faceplate for my Dollshe guy, so that tells you how often I have actually put the idea into practice. The downside is that faces of his type like to fly off randomly. I have thought about looking for new magnets but they are soooo itty bitty, I'm not sure I could get the originals out, let alone find some to fit the holes that were any stronger. Usually he just wears a rubber band under his wig for added security.

If there were different expressions available for all my other dolls, and losing one's face at inopportune moments wasn't an issue, I think I'd consider buying a few more. So I guess put me down for "Faceplates, In Theory".

4. I prefer head caps. I usually have artists do my face ups and it is scary when a face plate falls off the doll unintentionally. I've caught my Dim Bellosse face plate in mid air before.

5. I have a Sphinx doll By Triffony Art Work and the head cap sits pretty seamlessly across the back of the crown and behind her kitty ears. I love that about her. The attachment is magnetic, with four strong magnets and a metal peg at the chin. As far as I know mine is the only one that is set up like that? I definitely like head caps for seam-line issues, plus face-plates fall off kind of easily in my experience, like Black Cherry face-plates give me trouble. I also find face-plate magnets tend to fall out easier. Anyone know a resin safe glue to put them back in with?

6. Ypu can use a 2-part epoxy for this. Since you'll be gluing 2 smooth surfaces together it'll be the best bet imo. If you're in the States most hardware stores will carry the little tubes (they're about as long as your pinky) so you don't have to spend as much if you dont have any other uses for a super strong adhesive.

7. Although I wish I could change the face of my child somehow, I don't think face-plate is something suitable for me.
      Yes, I like to have as few seams as possible on the face!

8. Most of my dolls have headcaps, but the two from Angell-Studio have faceplates. I like the convenience of faceplates for dressing and changing eyes, but I have to say I do prefer headcaps because they feel more stable. One of my AS boy's faceplate keeps falling off, while the other has the weirdly opposite problem of it being rather difficult to remove (which sort of renders the convenience pointless).

9. I have only had 2 faceplate style dolls, but I highly prefer faceplates to headcaps! I feel like it's so much easier to change clothes and remove the head without risking the faceup- whenever I've damaged a faceup, it's been while I was trying to remove the head. :...(

And I don't think the line under the chin makes much of a difference, personally. I don't go showing too much of my dolls' chins because even the best neck matches still look unnatural where they connect to the head.

10. I'm going to hold off on voting since I don't have two to compare here, but I think I would like faceplates more.
      I could change eyes, maybe even teeth if there was such a setup easily! That, and I would love to have a variety of strong emotions for my dolls. Sexy pouting only works in so many photos, and having so many dolls with the demeanor of a funeral on a rainy monday would probably just encourage my want for crazier expressions.

11. I prefer head caps, because they feel safer to me. I've read too many horror stories about people having problems after a faceplate fell off. I love my Zaolls, but I really feel anxious any time I take them and touch their heads...

12. Head caps all the way. Face plates can be really fun for different expressions, but when they come with weak magnets you just have faces falling off constantly. Also I just prefer the seamless look.

13. I never saw any dolls with face plate in person, but I always like to try it... I don't think, that seam line bother me in any way.