1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Which do you prefer plastic,acyrlic, silicone or glass eyes?

Sep 1, 2005

1. In my experience, expensive glass > acrylic > cheap glass. Most of the less expensive glass eyes I've tried were uneven or very flat looking. I've never tried any of the really expensive glass eyes, but I do like the HandCraft eyes that Ginarolo sells. My favorite acrylics are Volks Metallic... they have a very unique sheen/glowy effect.

2. personally i prefer the silicone eyes.....they seem easier to position than glass or plastic, and they squish into the eyewell for a better fit. (just my opinion!!!)

3. I've never had any experience with silicone but I'm just as happy with glass as I am with acrylic. Really they both look nice to me so it's just whatever seems to fit my doll better as far as character goes.

4. To be really perfectly honest, I can't tell the difference from one type to the other, be it in photos or in person. So sorry to everyone who spends all kinds of money on fabulous glass eyes, but it all looks the same to me (though really it's your preference that counts, na?). :sweat

So since I can't tell the difference of material, I go for color. A good selection of colors is heaven to me. :3nodding: And I've found the silicon eyes at LeekeWorld have a good selection and neat looking eyes, and Souldoll (I think theirs are silicon too? or acrylic.. I'm not sure..) has a great color selection as well. My boy wears Souldoll P24s, and they're beautiful. :whee: I'm totally in love with his eyes.

5. I've tried cheapo acrylics, volks metallics, and volks HG and honestly I like the glass ones the most. They do look more real, in terms of depth, even if the color isn't right. It's what you like the most though, some people prefer color over other things :)

6. I have volks HG glass, acrylic (from 2 different places), and silicone from the luts website.

Out of them all, I like the silicone ones best (though that could be just because they're purple!), followed by my acrylics. For the acrylics, I did a test.. I noticed they didn't have as much shine as the glass, so I took some, Folkart Artists' varnish gloss (it's a sealant/gloss/varnish made for acrylic paints) and dunked one pair of eyes in. I let them dry (pupils up so any drips were on the back) and suddenly, I had these shiny, acrylics- looking at them, I couldn't tell which was glass and which was acrylic.. they don't collect dust as much any more, and this was over 6 months ago, and they're still shiny.

But, I have to agree with the comment on the silicone.. they seem to fit the eye sockets better.. and for my DES (who is wearing them) since little of the white shows, it doesn't matter to me that it's not "shiny"

Just my 2 cents

-Meredith

7. I like acrilics 'cause there cheaper and look nifty! :D

8. My dolls wear every type!! I love silicone eyes (Masterpiece, Soom), but I also love Souldoll acrylics. Jaden wears a pair of $8 glass eyes that look amazing on him! As long as I like them, I don't care what they're made of. :)

9. I've been wondering the same thing. some of the acrylics are really fun looking and luminous, but the glass look "deeper" if you know what I mean?

I'm planing on getting glass for my girl, I figure if you've already spent so much on a doll, what does difference does $20 make?

10. I prefer Souldoll acrylics but I also like the look of Urethane eyes. I'm a fan of very vivid colors and that the eyes 'follow the camera.'

11. I have only used acrylic and glass. You can see the difference in the quality - the acrylic look plasticy and pixelated - the glass are smooth and have nice color - I think they also photograph better.

Eye on left is luts grey acrylic/eye on right is luts grey/green glass. both 18mm

[​IMG]

12. I really prefer urethane and glass eyes, as they give the best depth :3 Though my mask green schwarzaugens are GORGEOUS, I love how they glow~ Metallic acrylics are nice too :3

13. Thanks for that panty_girl, I now know that I'm going with glass all the way for sure now!

14. I realised acrylic probably weren't that good as they are very cheap. My doll came with glass eyes which look good. Glass and silicon seem to be priced the same but I though silicon was supposed to be better?

15. I've never tried silicone eyes, though I'd like to. I have tried glass and acrylic and I greatly prefer glass. I didn't even keep the two pairs of acrylic eyes because I really didn't like them. It could just be the kind I had, as I'm sure there are plenty of gorgeous acrylic eyes out there. I really want to get my hands on some Zouks! Glass eyes are just divine.

16. no problem! glad I could help!!:)

17. i have both glass and acrylic and i think glass gives off a better shine and depth. the acrylic whites of the eye look sorta dull sometimes, while the glass is very white and vibrant. i want to try the soom eyes though, i've heard great things about them!

18. I love silicone eyes, because they photograph really well. I find them hard to place though (maybe because Soom's eyes are more like half-spheres, maybe because my Tender Shall's eyeholes are too small ^^;;; ). Madison came with brown acrylic eyes from Luts and they became his "default" eyes. They have a nice color and look natural ^^

19. I love urethane the best, then comes glass eyes. The only acrylics eyes I can honestly say I like are Souldoll's because of their depth. I've never tried silicone.

20. Though my experience with eyes is limited, I discovered very quickly that acrylics were a no-no for my babies--they look so flat and lusterless, and I could never get them to photograph true to color while in the doll's head.

I think from now on, it's urethane or glass, and silicone for the odd colors and custom pupils (though I'd die for a pair of bright yellow cat-pupiled Eye Candies...~T^T~.)