1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Which do you prefer plastic,acyrlic, silicone or glass eyes?

Sep 1, 2005

1. Alexei (AR Cien) had, HAD, an awesome set of hazel acrylic eyes, the defaults, and they really stuck out if I was actually paying attention to the photos I was taking (which is not often). They weren't the character's real eye color but I liked them enough to keep them.

And I was pissed when someone stole his eyes when I was at Schreiner U. Pissed. But that's my fault for taking them out of his head (Left the doll itself in the apartment) to stick into my sculpture for giggles.

So his replacements are seagreens from Kemper dolls, sent by a friend, and these delectable one dollar acrylic eyes which, since they're as dark as they are, aren't fun to photograph because you have to get just the right lighting but when they do photograph I'm like "Hey man, not bad for a dollar. D:"

[​IMG]
      YAY FLYAWAYS

2. In my case, it really depends on which doll I have in my mind. But overall, my preference is glass, silicone, plastic/acrylic in that order (since I do not have urethane eyes YET, it's not included in the list). Then within glass, the oder is Tsuki no Kagami, Volks Zoukeimura/Antique Rose, British hand-made, ORB, Silver & Hitomi ya, HG glass eyes, then German hand-made.

3. I prefer glass eyes. I love the way they shine and capture light in photographs and in real life.

4. Yes I realized they make a big difference when taking a photo. Some eyes look dull and one dimensional ( Like the pinch back glass eyes I have)

I have a pair of acrylics ( Well someone sold me them as glass but turned out they were acrylics) and they look better then the pinch back glass... but they dont look as goods as regular glass eyes...

5. I love glass eyes. Soul doll eyes are beautiful, so are Soom eyes and Volks. But it's glass for me.

6. I have a few pairs of eyes and they're mostly all different.

I have a cheap pair of acrylics and I've seen several other pairs in person and I must say that the smaller the acrylics, the more realistic they seem to look.
      I purchased my acrylics before my doll arrived because the colour was perfect for the image I had in mind. However once she arrived with her glass eyes the acrylics just didn't compare. I was thinking of selling them until I got Madolynn her pink wig and now they just suit her soooo perfectly! So I really think that it depends on the doll...

I also have Soom silicone eyes and while I love the colours and the fit, I hate how they attract dust. But I still love them...
      I also have some Masterpiece polymer eyes that are really great, nice and vibrant!
      I also have a pair of Soul Doll acrylics that seem really nice in quality, but the colour just doesn't suit any of my current dolls.

I guess..... it all just depends on your own personal preference!

7. I've used Masterpiece Eyes in silicone and love them but they pop out of the eye cups for my Obitsu Haruka head, so I'm looking for more eyes, especially that are true to size (16mm - my Masterpiece Eyes are 17mm). Luts has some pretty ones but I was wondering if all silicone eyes the soft squishy kind? And do other vendors make true 16mm?

mj

8. glass/ urethane ones, for me!

9. Urethane with glass at a VERY close #2.

10. what is Urethane exactly? anyone?

11. Urethane is a type of plastic (not acrylic) like the kind used to make ABJDs.

Enchanted Doll makes great Urethane eyes.

I prefer urethane and glass eyes for my dolls. Enchanted Doll eyes and Eye Candies have won me over so far. :) I'm hoping to try out some Gum Drops soon. I also love the brown glass eyes I got for Max from iplehouse that were made by a company called Glip.

I only like soft glass for Magnus because his eyes are so small and the eye wells don't really work with any other kind. If I can't squish them right to the front of the well you can't tell he has eyes at all. (I got his eyes from Masterpiece directly because they were a custom color, but it's better to buy their eyes through Ebay sellers or second hand for various reasons.)

Volks Metallic acrylics are what Lex and Grey are wearing until I settle on some ECs or EDs or GDs for them. Lex has Cobalt and Grey has Titanium. They look fantastic for the price and people always ask me about them. I'd love some Schwartzaugens but they've been sold out of the colors I want since shortly after the dawn of time. :roll:

12. thanks for the info idrisfynn I was so curious ! *goes to check link * :)

13. Now that I've owned some Zouks, it's high-quality glass for me all the way, especially for darker colors.

manjushage: What are Tsuki no Kagami glass eyes? I've never heard of them.

14. I think it's 月之鏡

Their eyes are absolutely beautiful....
      Though I don't know how much they are and they seem to be sold out or not do them anymore?
      But they, like all other Japanese websites...... Don't ship overseas:...(

15. Hi Lady Brick. "Tsuki no Kagami" is one of the Japanese 'dealers' creating hand-made glass eyes as Akasha says. And I think they are limiting themselves to DollsParty around Tokyo most of the time (at least, I have not seen them selling eyes online since I started tracking those eyes). I simply love those eyes for the color, depth and clarity even though the high dome can mean trouble for some dolls. *If you are interested, yellow eyes my Cocori is wearing in Gallery is one of them.*

BTW, I do not think you see them around very much, because their quantity is very limited compared to the demand. Recently, a pair of their 18mm purple hit 26,000JPY in Y!J...*_* Personally, I think that's going too far for something that is 7,000JPY originally, but then if the dealer has to impose 15 minutes time frame (like 10:45 to 11:00) for those lucky enough to get that lottery time ticket & on top of that limit the number of purchase to three pairs per person until 13:00 to avoid creating a mess, I guess the price is justified for a few fans.

16. There is also another Japanese company I like called 曈屋
      Although the photos doesn't look as impressive as Tsuki no Kagami....
      The photos on Y!J looks quite nice.....
      I'm trying to get some through shopping services as well...

17. Hi. Akasha. If you want Hitomiya eyes, just make sure to check the pictures closely. I have a few pairs from them too as they are one of the mass-producing regular dealer in doll events (though not really a company), but the quality certainly varies.

18. Glass. I love how it reflexs the light and how it appears deep.
      Silicon would be my next choice simply because I love how many colors Masterpiece is able to create.

19. It would be so nice if there could be more dealers of beautiful eyes in unusual colours.....:(
      Hope some one would organise group order of beautiful Japanese eyes...><

20. I like urethane (like the Ethereal Angels Eye Candies "Mystic" and "Gumdrops" eyes) and glass. I've tried Volks acrylics, artistique, Masterpiece, and even plain marbles. Out of them all, the urethane and the glass gave the effect closest to what I was looking for (though the marbles were pretty cool).