1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Why are you into BJDs?

Aug 24, 2017

1. This repeats a lot of other people's reasons, but mine are multi-fold:
      1. Wowza are they beautiful - the faces, the details, the sculpt, the uncanny valley-ness in the best way... there's just so much to admire, and compared to other dolls they are just so SOLID. Love 'em.
      2. The crafting possibilities - I am teaching myself to do face-ups, I'm on my third wig (man I love working with wefts!), and I'm even thinking of taking up sewing because *why not*? It's fun and delightful and pretty!
      3. Dress up - I love dress up, and these are such beautiful dress-up canvases.

2. I think they're very beautiful and love the creative possibilities they provide. I used to collect porcelain dolls as a child and BJDs go one step better with their pose-ability (and more dynamic photography options).

Whilst I can appreciate them as works of art in their own right, I don't think I would collect them if it weren't to put my own stamp on them. I've ordered a blank doll as my first, as I'm keen to build my own character around her and face-up, blush and make clothes etc. for her myself.

I do draw and write stories for my characters, but I get the feeling that having a tangible BJD version of them will really bring them to life! I'm actually hoping to sculpt some of them myself someday.

3. I really loved that I could customize my doll so much. Just the overall aesthetic of companies like Luts and other companies. It's funny, I absolutely cannot stand porcelin dolls but there's a warmth and softness in BJDs that really draw me in.

4. I have always loved dolls since I was little, and have collected them. When I first discovered BJDs I loved them for their customization options and the ability to pose them! :) <3

5. They're cool and pretty and I like customizing them and looking at them

6. I love crafting and building things! I'm not interested in being a collector of dolls. I'm more interested in making tiny worlds for one or two dolls, with loads of details and clothes and props.

7. I love beautiful things. My main job is an illustrator, so I love dolls because it's "art"
      we need to get a good taste and a lot of time to nurture the dolls, just like humans XD

8. 1. I like playing dolls/dress-up whenever I get a chance.
      2. Having physical representations of key characters from my screenplays is incredibly cohesive to the writing process.
      3. Companionship like the terribly lonely person I am, though they're hardly a replacement for an actual human being.
      4. I absolutely hate how I look. In turn, I never really bother with clothing and makeup on myself. Dolls are the only way I get to really express my love of personal aesthetics.

9. 1. They're fun
      2. I like having them around
      3. I find them inspiring

10. I actually grew up not being allowed to play with dolls, so this is all new to me - discovering the BJD hobby as an adult is a mixed bag...I always feel like I am struggling to catch up with everyone else as far as broadening my knowledge and skills. And I am constantly amazed at the difficulties/challenges involved and the patience required...but equally amazed at the talent, creativity, dedication, and generosity I see from people in the BJD community. I've learned so much and find this hobby to be rewarding in too many ways to list...but for me personally, probably the biggest positive is how therapeutic my dolls are...calming, inspiring, and just bring me great joy and comfort. That and the friendships I have made through the hobby - the smartest, funniest, coolest people I've ever known! Thanks, all of you!

11. My sister: she has autism and gets lonely. She wanted a doll for a friend, something that her lack of social skills doesn't help. Interestingly, of all the hobbies she's gotten into, this is probably the one that's been the most accepting of her so far!

Me: I loved the anime fate/stay night, my favourite character was Saber. A few years ago, folks had a collaboration that included her original get up. I wanted everything to do with her, so I wanted her. Few years on, I realised I just like the dolls. They are pretty and i am also interested in photography. So, I am hoping to expand on my photography skills with the dolls :)

13. I initially got into BJD for the photostory aspect. It just felt amazing to me. Now, a couple years later, I've never really bother with photostories (partly because I'm not so good at taking pictures... it just feels faster and more efficient to draw a comic ahah)
      But the customisation aspect has me hooked. I'm not terribly good at it so far, but I find it a lot of fun to take a doll that anyone could have, and use paint and fabric (and sometimes epoxy) to change it into something entirely unique.

14. I got my first (and so far only) BJD to embody a tree spirit character of mine after I learned the (actual) tree he was based on was going to be cut down. Though I'm still sad it's happening, I'm glad it nudged me into a new hobby!

I really like the creativity and customization and how it embraces so many art forms (writing, photography, crafts like knitting and sewing, building miniature props, drawing and painting, etc.).

15. For me personally, I've been collecting dolls for over half my life now. While it's been pretty much only fashion dolls, I've had the interest in BJDs for awhile now. Now that I've developed a story, the dolls have become shells for the characters, which brings the story to life, which I love.

16. I've been collecting dolls since I was wee. BJDs are especially pretty, they're posable, and made for customizing. They've become my sewing muses too.

17. I like the creativity it comes with :chibi
      And to see my characters in doll
      form makes me smile:3nodding:

18. For me what got me into dolls I guess it the same way people like paintings :) I find the dolls are really beautiful & to have such an artistic piece makes me always happy to see! The best things about dolls from a painting is that you can always change the doll to your changing art taste with new clothes, wigs eye chips etc so it's like a new painting each time :D !

(haha but don't get me wrong! I still love paintings :)! )

19. It is a creative outlet for me. I really like fashion and due to the customizability of dolls, they are able to evolve as my style changes and becomes more refined. Not to mention, they are visually appealing! :3nodding:

20. Sadface sad time!

1) growing up, dolls were my only really friends apart from my sibling. It's a leftover of a lonely childhood
      2) I'm a natural magpie and I love to collect pretty things to feather my nest with
      3) My first doll, Annix, was a very special gift and all my subsequent dolls take on the same emotional meaning, helping me through some tough times.