1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Why are you into BJDs?

Aug 24, 2017

1. 1. I've always liked dolls: BJDs are the most beautiful dolls I've seen!
      2. I've always like more mature dolls and male dolls: BJDs have more of that than other kinds of dolls. I love the variety--fantasy dolls, anthros, etc.
      3. I love customizing things--making all aspects just as I want them--and being able to change things.
      4. I love getting stuff to customize the dolls, and accessorize them. I just like getting all the extras!
      5. All the items, clothing, eyes, wigs, faceups, props, shoes--they are all just so wonderful! Each a little gem! Tiny shoes and tiny buckles. Just LOVE.
      6. I love creating characters and scenes, and can do that--and take photos! I don't shell my characters--I make new ones up with each doll.
      7. I love sharing the hobby with others: I'm lucky and have many people I know who were already into BJDs or I met through BJDs.
      8. I love doing things with BJDs and going to meetups and conventions--getting to travel and see places is an extra plus.
      9. Pretty much everything about BJDs, I love! (there are downsides, too, but not as much as the pros!)

#81 april, Mar 14, 2018
      Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
    2. I got into it because they are completely customizable. I love all things artsy, and have done a lot from painting, pastel, photography and even tattooing. So it's another artistic outlet for me. I enjoy a good challenge and sewing has been the toughest. I've sewn for many years, but never on this small scale or created my own patterns, which I'm doing now. Ive gotten a lot better at it and there's nothing as rewarding as finishing a doll. I'm hooked.

3. I've always enjoyed art, and especially artifacts like figures and statues. I discovered BJD's just a few years back, and was instantly obsessed by their beautiful sculpts. To me this hobby is about the art of dolls, the beauty of each sculpt, and the wonders that a beautiful outfit will do the whole artifact. Later on I started to bring them outside into the beautiful scenery around here, for photographing, and it became awesome! I even made it into a Doll Magazine :) I just love to set up characters, and blend them into a situation in i beautiful setting, it's like a fairy tale. You can check out my pictures on Instagram

But I'm also a introvert, and have my issues, so the dolls are making me feel much better at home. they keep me Company, and I can talk to them, and love them in my own way.

4. Hmm...not sure exactly why I like BJDs. A friend introduced me to the hobby and I guess I kept thinking about it that I got into it. I do see my friend play with hers and so the constant exposure probably helped.
      I've always liked dolls and playing dress up with them and creating stories with them. Used to play with Barbie dolls and dress up stuffed animals as a kid so BJDs are like a more grown up version of that.
      I don't own a BJD yet but I know I'm most excited to play dress up with it since that's the biggest appeal to me.

5. Honestly dolls used to make me really uneasy, this definitely wasn't a love at first sight hobby.

I'm a big fan of Lolita and Mori fashions, and I make/sell costumes and different textile thing as well as other miscellaneous stuff. Turns out there's a MASSIVE overlap with the BJD community and the cosplay/Lolita communities, so I was seeing a lot of pictures and slowly started to get really curious.

After about a month of regularly searching for BJD photography I decided to actually look at dolls. When I found ResinSoul Mei I fell totally in love and my husband said it was meant to be and I should get her. So glad I did, looking forward to making her costumes for this renfest season and taking her with us!! There's almost certainly more dolls in my future.

6. 1. Websites like Deviantart and Flickr is where I found the inspiration and admiration of bjd dolls. They have lots of fantastic mind-blowing and creative photos that put me into daydream mode. I lost count how many time I spent there marvel other people's bjd and photography skills.

2. Thankfully bjd comes in all sizes and are produced on orders. Unlike Barbies that are mass produced or available at Target or Kmart stores, bjds are produced in small numbers.

3. The 68-70cm are perfect size for me. Not too big that looks scary and not too small that looses the detail.

7. I've always liked dolls as a child so I guess when I discovered BJDs it was pretty natural for me to want one!

I got into drawing last year though and realised that they make great models and are really inspiring for me. And I love how customisable they are, with a change of eyes, hair and clothes they can become a whole new character!

8. The reason why I like BJD is for its customisation and the creativity I'm able to put into it. I enjoy arts and crafts so I'd like to design and create ideas for the dolls while it helps as a reference with its posing capabilities. :sweat

9. Hm, I guess because they can be fully customized. As I've been creating imaginary characters since I was a kid, realizing them helps me to develop my creativity and explore many new things. Not to mention, I got friends, from my local community and overseas. :dance

10. Idk there is just something a bit fun and weeaboo-ish about having ABJDS. None of my dolls have japanese names but that's generally the thing that makes me love this hobby. ALL OF THE OTAKUS!!! :D The roleplaying and the photostories and Idk its just so fun. lol

11. My dolls are like 3d manga characters of my own creation.

12. I am into the bjd hobby because it includes so many mediums to use art wise. I can paint their face, make their wigs, sew and find little odds and ends to incorporate into my doll for stylistic purpose. The possibilities are endless!

13. I'm not sure if I can actually pinpoint the reason. I think dolls are beautiful and they make me so happy. I especially love tiny doll clothes and tiny doll accessories for some reason. I also love the creative outlet dolls give me which I haven't enjoyed through other mediums.

14. I like to sew clothes for them and craft things in general

15. They're like... the ultimate action figures. I can have resin versions of my tabletop RPG and MMO characters!

They're excellent photography models.

They're easier to sew for than I am.

And I flat-out just like tinkering around with them.

16. Uh... I dunno.

I think probably the variety and customisation. I always collected toys and liked action figures, but either they made one of a character or they didn’t, and I didn’t get on well with vinyl customisation. With BJDs, you really can create whatever you want. I’m not the best at mods, but just looking at some of what people have created shows that anything is possible.

I also like the realism. I can get awesome head sculpts and even create my own. I’ve always liked crafting, and so wig making, eye making, face-ups, learning to sew... all these things have been great fun to me. Before, a figure was bought off the shelf and was largely the same as the ones everyone else bought. BJDs are rarely even similar, even if they’re the same sculpt. They all take on a part of their owner.

17. Well, back when I first became interested in BJDs (back in 2009 or 2010), it was all about the characters and photography. However, I fell out of the hobby for a few years, and now that I'm back in, I find that my interest/focus has changed. Now, I view BJDs more as a way to use my other hobbies (crafting, painting, knitting) and make something beautiful that I can display (and photograph, yes, but it's not really important). I think it's cool to have a little piece of art that I've worked on and customized displayed in my house.

Of course, it helps that BJDs are insanely gorgeous to begin with, and posing them is really fun! And of course, I've always loved dolls from a young age. And miniature things. Miniature things are satisfying.

18. I think I've always had an extra soft spot for specific dolls. I loved making characters and being able to imagine stories for them growing up. I remember the first time I had ever seen a bjd was on DA. I was probably about 13-14 ish? It was an instant interest and even though at the time I couldn't have one I would still admire others and would work to get my own one day.

19. I think i started as i love beautiful dolls, reborns and also my own sculpts. Started as a kid knitting crocheting sewing embroidery so i can include all of this with my bjd doll.

20. I like being able to customize them the most. But also I just like having those little people around me :lol: