1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Why did you sell your doll?

Jun 3, 2007

1. Thanks to everyone for your answers to my question!! I guess a lot of the time, it turns out that you just end up not liking the doll, huh? I find it strange that a lot of people seem to sell their dolls just to buy new dolls - don't you find that a little upsetting? Or don't you get very attached to your dolls?

2. I have sold two dolls for two different reasons.
      The first one was a soulkid Tiffee girl wich I absolutely adored and loved, but I never played with her. I disliked the soulkid body and her posing wasn't in my taste, also I bought her without a faceup and belived I could make one myself, but she never looked like I wanted her to. So I gave up, and sold her...

The second doll I sold was my modded sleeping Chiwoo-girl project. Rigth before I was about to send off the head to be painted by the fabulous Lyn_r, I changed my mind and sold both the body and the head. The reason was that I hadn't bonded with the doll yet, and I discovered that I wanted to save up for unoas instead, so I sold her to be able to afford two dream-dolls instead.

3. I do see a lot of people who are a revolving door for dolls. Maybe they are impulse buyers.

I have only sold one doll - my only boy. He was the only male doll I have ever owned and I just couldn't relate to him. I grew up with all sisters, and all female friends, all with girl dolls. The way we played with dolls was dressing up girls and making up stories for them. I found I just could not incorporate a male into what "playing with dolls" is for me.

Carolyn

4. I have only sold one doll and simply because i did'nt like her when i got her. I was new to BJD's and bought what i thought was the best quality and most well-known make because i thought that that was the best way to start.
      Unfortunately she was too 'doll-like' for my tastes, there was absolutely nothing wrong with her - she just was'nt to my liking.
      I don't regret selling her at all, i never had any emotional feelings for her as i do my current dolls - i sold her and bought a doll i really truly love and don't regret it.
      I don't think there is anything wrong with selling a doll if you don't like it.
      :)

5. If a doll doesn't work out for me; I don't like it or we simply don't bond, yes it is disappointing. But that's why I buy a new doll, to try to find 'the perfect shell' for the character I want embodied. When the doll and the character fit together then I am very attached. I could never sell the three dolls I have now. I love them dearly and Leo (Hewitt) and Kohl (Liz) were very difficult to get my hands on. Sera(Soony) I've loved from first sight, 2 years ago when I opened the box and she was blank, bald and naked. But the dolls I've bought and then sold (DoD Yen, CH Little Friar, Chiwoo, Yo-SD Suzuna, Tsubaki) I sold because at the end I felt no attachment to them, I still liked them, but hadn't bonded. It was sad, but if I don't enjoy the doll someone else should be. A couple weeks ago I bought a Ttori head and really liked it, but my friend saw it and fell completely in love, so I sold it to her. Mavi's her first doll and she's completely adored, and I'm happy that Mavi is getting so much attention this way, because she wouldn't get nearly as much at my house. But most importantly my friend is very happy :)

6. I didn't sell my Cherry Boy for the sake of getting another doll, but selling him did give me a chunk of change to put towards my Williams head.

I'm one of those people who buys dolls for characters, so when I buy a doll I'm already firmly attached to the idea. I could never sell one of my character dolls, unless I felt the need to reshell the personality into another mold. I reshelled one character earlier this year, putting Nathan into a DT Mui body, but I kept his old SP Kill_U head and turned into his niece Maeve. So even reshelling does not always equal selling.

The Cherry Boy was not a character. I bought him because I thought I'd enjoy having a mini and figured I could write him in someplace. Once I wrote the character in, I loved the story but he wasn't the right mold for it. I guess I knew that selling him was the right thing since for the first time I did not feel upset or sick at the idea of parting with a doll.

7. When one sells a doll, do they usually make a profit or end up losing money?

8. I usually end up even or very close to coming even.

9. I came even. Making and losing money is hit and miss, and kind of based on perspective.

There are a lot of questions to ask when selling/buying a doll...

Is the doll new? Is it old? Does the age affect the value? Was it modded? Did the mod add or detract to the value? Did you make money for your time modding the doll? Do you consider it losing money when you consider how long you got to enjoy the doll?

10. I have not sold any of my bjd yet. But if I sell, it will be because of the cooling down effect. I always buy things impulsivly :(. So far all the dolls I got are to lovely for me to say good bye. Bad for my wallet :(

11. I usually lose a little... but if I think of it as having "rented" the doll for a while, I really don't mind.

I've been through a lot of dolls, probably to a point where most people would think I was flaky. But if I can't bring myself to sell a doll, then she was meant to be. My Kaede and Magical Michael girl are two that have stuck around while others have come and gone.

While a doll may be really beautiful in photographs, in person sometimes it just doesn't feel right. There have been many dolls that were aesthetically or logically beautiful that I've had who just failed to capture my heart. Actually, logically my MM girl isn't fit to my aesthetic at all... she has a big 'ol honkin' nose and thin lips... but inexplicably... I absolutely adore her.

I don't think I've ever sold a doll 'to get' another doll... it's usually less about money for me, and more about the fact that I feel guilty/strange about keeping dolls around that I'm not enjoying.

12. I sold a doll once that I just didn't bond with....she was beautiful, but just not for my family, but she did find a wonderful home!!!!

13. if I am not 110% in love with the doll ...it goes
      I think they are too expensive to keep if your not 100% sure about them

normally I will sell a doll to get another I prefer
      twice I have sold someone very special because it was an emergency and I needed the money
      but I find that upsetting ...I even bought the one doll back LOL

If I have to sell a doll to get another ...its rare I feel any remorse
      there are 2 new dolls I want..so I am eyeing up my collection now to see who is expendable ...difficult now as I am at a point I like all of them and I love who I have
      ...I need to sell 3 ..to get the 3 I want *_*

14. I'm not sure at what point I would sell a doll.
      I guess if they were a floating head for over a year or something...

15. sometimes...there are some problem with dolls...even though just I bought;;
      I have an experience that problem,...so I sold him;;;;
      and sometimes-3-;;becuse of money;;;;;;;

16. Didn't look like the pics. So hard to bond when you can't see what you saw in the studio pics.

17. I have a Soom Mecha Angel Sabik that broke his foot last year. Since then I've been struggling with whether or not I wanted to sell him. Now I actually have the funds to replace his foot, this is what I'm struggling with:

I have 6 dolls, all of them from different makers except 2: an Aren and Sabik both are from Soom. Of all the dolls I have, Soom is the only one I've had a problem with their resin. BOTH Aren and Sabik have given me problems. Aren's head fell off at one point b/c her neck warped a little (thank God not a lot so I could get her head back on by adding a few more rings to her elastic) and Sabik, of course, broke his foot.

And by "broke" I mean I had him in the carrier and when I took him out, I noticed his one shoe was still in the case. I looked and so was his foot. I mean, his foot just FELL OFF.

Anyway... I don't know if I want to run the chance of dealing with problems... I do love the dolls, but after them being the only ones I've ever had an issue with, I'm kind of wary of taking more chances. I could spend another $65 replacing the foot (which I think is kind of ridiculous anyway) and it might fall off again, or I could try selling him -I could always use the cash, but with a broken foot, what I would really get for him, you know?

So... Do I keep him or not? >__<;

18. Is it, er, possible to repair the foot? As in, do you have all the pieces (including the part that broke off -- I gather it's that plastic 'hook' inside the foot that broke)? I don't know if anything would really work for sure, but it might be worth a try.

Or if you have those pieces, including them might help a sale along, since someone else may know how to go about fixing him?

19. sell him... to me!!!! lol

But really, a lot of doll purchasers wont see this as a big negative, especially the select ones like myself that love nothing more than buying the broken variety, by fixing them up and repairing them it adds to the bond I have with my dolls so its not a minus to me personally.

It comes down to how much time and money you are willing to spend on a doll you might be happier to part with :)

20. Once the thought comes into my head that I coud do without a doll, the bond is never the same. It sells sooner or later so it might as well be sooner.