1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Why do people put up with dolls that can't sit up?

Jun 1, 2010

1. There is always a way to make a doll sit if you're willing to mod and tweak the body until it works properly. Fortunately, I have no problem doing this. If you shave a bit of resin off the hip of the EID Models, it is possible for them to sit just fine. Creative restringing can help too.

2. I wish it were that simple with mine... Without careful adjustment of the mobility joints and his torso joint, he won't sit up at all, and even after all that he's still unstable. He'll fall over backwards at the drop of a hat. The "butt plates" don't help at all. >_>

3. I can not get my JID I to sit, sometimes she even slides down if something is behind her.

#23 Xuchilpaba, Jun 1, 2010
      Last edited: May 21, 2022
    4. My doll sits up just fine.
      It would really bother me if I had one that didn't.

5. I'm somewhat boring in the body department... (7 Volks. 1 Little Monica. The horned urchin doesn't count here.) so I can't really comment much, but I will say that the only time I ever really experienced this problem was when one of my boys was sporting an uber-tight pair of denim skinny jeans - then he couldn't sit without popping the front snap of the pants or falling back. It was quite irritating. XP My Cho's Little Monica body is a super-sloucher, but fortunately it kind of suits his character. :sweat
      As for why people put up with it, I'm sure there are other perks that outshine the inability to sit up (like, say, the delectable physique of EID men). But that's just my thinking.

6. I'd be disappointed if my doll couldn't sit on it's own. For the price, it is ridiculous. However, I can make exceptions for a doll if it's really beautiful, or perfectly fits a character I have.

7. Do you have a doll that can't sit up? Did you contact the company? Does it bother you?

In short: Yup, all three of them, nope and nope.

Luken and Celaran (Unidoll Ark and Minimee with UniReal body) can sit alright when they're not wearing any pants (besides underwear or really loose boxers) and also, when I put them on my knee. They just can't sit right when they're in their usual pants (pretty thick fabric/fake leather) but since I got them sitting on a little bench, never mind. They're perfect otherwise.
      Morgan (EID Akando) - now, I don't remember if I ever tried to make him sit on is own. He definitely can't with the jeans on that he's wearing right at the moment (again, pretty thick fabric and they're very tight, too).

To be honest, I couldn't care less. So they can't sit on their own. Never mind - they got their little bench and Morgan's quite content to sit on my sofa. I don't even mind that Luken and Celaran aren't the world's best posers, either. Some sueding or wiring might improve that but why? I like them the way they are - not posing perfectly but perfect in any other sense. :)

8. Thankfully, all of my dolls can sit up just fine. I'd be very upset if they couldn't. :\

To be honest, I'm currently having an issue with one of my boys (thankfully, my BFF and I have found a solution and will implement it ASAP - probably in two weeks), and his current posing "issues" have me at the end of my rope. There's been a lot of frustration, and (I'll admit it) some tears, over the way he's been "behaving". He still sits up, and even stands, but goes very kicky in odd places at random, haha... it's infuriating. Because of the way this has effected me... I'm absolutely sure I wouldn't be able to deal with a doll who couldn't even sit up! D:

I think I would have to contact the company or something... I'd lose it trying to make them, lol. Especially since most of my dolls stay in a sitting position all the time - especially when I have them around me while I'm on my computer!

9. I have a couple of dolls that have problems sitting properly. EID Akando is one of them and I couldn't care less. He's my big hunk of resin and I wuv him. LOL. Seriously, at meets he's a pain, but at home, he's got a chair and I don't have a problem with him. My Sabik is rather floppy at present and I need to pick up some elastic to restring him but that will be easily solved once I get some long enough. I don't regard being able to sit up as a problem as I have loads of furniture for my dolls. If I didn't, I'd be looking at shelving I guess. I've got a stack more dolls due to arrive so I guess I'll have to think about it then. Until that time, I just tolerate their foibles.

10. Yes, I have. No. Yes.
      May be I need to sand him...

11. It would annoy me a lot if I had dolls who couldn't sit. I think expecting a doll to stand right out of the box without adjustment is a little too much, but I do expect dolls to be able to sit. I have my dolls sitting in a row on my bookshelf, so it's important that they sit securely. I love my SDCs for sitting, I can just sit them both down firmly and adjust their midtorso joint if I want them to slouch or sit up straight. I have kips in the joint as well to help.

I do love the shape of the Iplehouse EID bodies, but the arched back would annoy me. I have pretty good posture myself, so if my dolls can't sit correctly it's annoying!

12. Currently all I have are various BBB and RS dolls...some of them could sit fine when I got them...others...not so much. I store my kids sitting, so it REALLY bugs me when they can't! But good hot glue sueding, some re-stringing on those I had elastic that fit, tightening of those who I don't currently have extra elastic in the right size for...and not only can they all sit...but I was shocked at hoe much it improved their posing. In the semi-near future I'll likely wire all of them, too, to see if that will make them even better posers than they already are.

Now...I at one point had an Angel Region Little Fair doll. I got decent posing from it...but even nude it had issues sitting up straight, too. That has nothing to do with why I no longer have the doll. I gave it to my sister, who loves it dearly. But a little work there, patience, and placing 1 or both hands behind itself and a tiny bit of fiddling, and it could sit almost completely straight.

For me...if there's something SIMPLE that I demand a doll be able to do (Sit, stand) even if it can't when I first get it, I know that enough tinkering in little things (sueding, wiring, re-stringing) can often solve the problem, and if it can't, light modding of the problem joints WILL. So I will put up with the 'issues' until I have the time and motivation to work on the doll to fix them. My not fixing them is MY problem, not the doll's.

Would I prefer to not HAVE to do that tinkering for something as simple as getting a doll to sit? Yes. But I do ENJOY the tinkering and modding when I've the time to do it, so while I'd rather not have to FIND that time to tinker and mod, I will tolerate those little quirks until I have the time to fix them to my liking.

13. My nDoll Pan has some issues sitting up because of how her hip joints are made (they have a big ledge thing that is supposed to help lock her hips in place for perfect sitting but it does quite the opposite and makes it almost impossible to sit) but Kips should help. I deal with it because I adore her otherwise! :D She's sooo freaking cute.

14. I have two that have trouble sitting, on two different ends of the price spectrum. My Soom SG girl has difficulties, partially because of how her torso joints are constructed, and partially because of her GIANT FREAKING LEGS (which I LOVE, don't get me wrong) that pull her off balance all the time due to them weighing more than the rest of her. So far, she isn't going anywhere, I'm just accepting that, in order to have the awesome hooved legs, she's going to have some issues with posing. On the other side I have a FantasyDoll boy body that was purchased for a Minimee head. The way his torso is designed, it's pretty much been made impossible to make him sit up. I had originally intended to mod him to fix this (among other things), but the more I looked at the body, the more I decided that there was just too much mismatch between it and the character, and I am now shopping for a body that not only sits up better, but matches the character's specific look better.

All the rest of mine will sit fine; I store them sitting on a shelf, and most of them are seated with their backs away from the wall (except for one who's pushed back that far, and one who's a solid enough stander that she's upright).

15. My first two dolls (DollGa girl and Volks SD13 boy) sit very nicely. Locking butts FTW! :D My Dollstown 15 hybrid boy won't sit upright with his legs (if this makes any sense), you need to pop his belly and chest forward, and then he sits fine. It doesn't bother me at all, really. It means he slouches a lot, but it's lucky as it really suits his character.

My DollGa girl will not stand securely for more than 30secs, regardless of how many things I've tried. This bothers me a bit more than not being able to sit, to the extent that I would probably avoid buying another DollGa girl body... but her body sculpt is so freakin' cute (tiny chubby little legs! SO CUTE!) that I still go all squee-esque when I look at her :3

16. Well, I do have some floppy dolls and just plain stubborn but I'm not willing to give up on them just yet! My Dollmore Model gal can sit but her chest pops out all the time so I just need to suede her chest joint and that should theoretically help.

But yeah poor sitters are a pain. And if they can't stand OR sit that is just obnoxious. But sueding and wiring often help so I would say, see what you can do to improve the doll first and then if you just can't stand them sell them.

17. I have two problem dolls...one being my domuya body. When I first got the dang thing I was shocked at how floppy it was hen it wouldn't pose and couldn't stand it almost feels like the parts are just...sitting togather like you would sit the peices before stringing them up. I want to sell the body but my fiance bought it for me for mother's day a year or two ago. I've since decided to mod the body and spare head into the Joker so hopefully I'll feel better about it then. BTW that body doesn't hold any pose for very long (and I've restrung him with thicker elastic and everything he's just a pain)

My next "problem" is my dollshe Bernard...I love the body I love the sculpt I loves him...but sitting him can be a little challenging Not nearly as bad as the domuya but he can be a tad annoying. Once he's in position though he's amazing and will hold it and he slouches like a pro too

18. You know, I never really considered the dolls "done" on arrival. The closest I've ever experienced is my Senior Delf. She sits very well (in skirts - I haven't tried pants yet) and her hands and feet almost automatically cross in a ladylike posture. For some reason her joints seem to friction lock pretty well. All my other dolls have been glue sueded and are awaiting some tension tweaking. They sit Ok more or less but standing is another kettle of fish. Oy! Don't get me started.

I'm awaiting my first EID doll and now I'm having some trepidation. Still love the sculpt, I think he's dreamy, and I'm aware he's heavy, but if I have to fight with posing, well, jeez, I wish people had said that a bit louder.

19. I never had troubles getting my delfs to sit or stand.

Volks Ruby Limited
      I've have had issues getting her to sit up, but that was because her torso piece kept coming out of place and sliding into her stomach. But since I've fixed that I haven't had any problems.

Soom Dia
      He flops over all the time. I can have him sitting up and he'll just fall over. But his character does have narcolepsy with cataplexy...0_o

Unoa Sist
      It's mainly her outfits that make her fall over.

Iplehouse Gentle Soo-Ri
      He falls over because he's been neglected for a year sitting on my table with no suit or wig. He's mad at me *sounds like crazy doll lady*

20. I buy my dolls mostly because I love the face - although I, obviously, like a poseable body, it's not my number one concern. My Domuya boy can hold the most natural poses, but I do find it takes some time and effort to get him to sit up straight - but I don't really *mind*. I mean, when *I* sit, I usually lean against something, lmao - it doesn't offend me if my doll does the same!

As an aside, I do find that my dolls play up more at meets than they do at home! Sometimes, when I'm out with a doll, it just won't hold a pose, even though it will do it perfectly at home. I think my dolls have performance anxiety, lmao!