1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Why do people put up with dolls that can't sit up?

Jun 1, 2010

1. I had a volks SD10 body that I could never get to sit up without falling back over. The little shelves on the upper thigh joint never wanted to line up with the butt properly. I ended up selling that body, but not just because it couldn't sit. My basic opinion is that if a body doesn't have double joints in either the arms or legs or superior posing in some other way, it should at least have swivel joints in the upper thighs. (upper thigh swivel joints are probably my absolute favorite and if a mold doesn't have them or something that can compensate for them, I will either mod it or sell it.)

But back to the point... I also have a Lati Red (the older style body) and he also has a rather difficult time sitting sometimes. I find his body a bit challenging to work with but have kept it out of fear of not being able to find a good replacement.

2. Sitting up is the single most important thing I look for in a doll body (the second one is double jointed elbows). For me nice and authentic sitting and slouching is extremely important as I mostly keep my dolls sitting. Now, I've never had a doll that wouldn't sit up at all, but I did change my Leeke Luke's body because he was leaning backwards (he was able to sit unsupported but it looked a bit awkward).

I'm not afraid of hybridizing, and I've found that a perfect resin match matters less to me than a body that poses the way I want it to...so I'm doing hybrids when needed :) (And that's why I'm very hesitant about getting an EID guy. I KNOW I wouldn't cope with the leaning back, but I simply adore the aesthetic of those bodies....)

But there are stranger things that people are willing to put up with...there's a girl in our local community who received her Souldoll Zenith boy with a severely broken knee. And she was all right with it! She said 'ah, it may need a little sanding to smooth out the edges, but the character has a bad knee anyway'...she finally complained to the company only because we very-very strongly urged her to do so before the whole calf part of her doll breaks apart from the strain (the break was that bad). Now I was shocked that she paid more than $600 and had no problem with a badly broken product. Sometimes I don't understand my fellow doll collectors :sweat

3. I find that my Super Gem Amber and Heliot are very difficult to make sit properly. Especially my Amber, when sitting she will have the tenancy to fall back, even when hot-glue sueded. I keep all my Super Gems in stands though because of this, and it also takes up less room so that's a plus.

4. I have a few that can't sit up. Alot of the time It takes an epic restringing battle to fix. My DIM Love boy though needs some epic sueding in his butt. That's the main problem with all my dolls I find, they need tighter stringing and suede in the butt. It's the thigh that's the issue.
      Personally I find hot glue and suede don't help with some dolls so I use thin silicone sheeting you can buy on pupaparadise or ebay. It keeps things in place waaaay better.

5. Some people just don't seem to care much about posing ability, so I can understand why they would put up with a beautiful doll that didn't sit well. There are always doll stands, and doll sized couches upon which their dolls can lounge. ;)

Personally, I find posing ability extremely important. I wouldn't tolerate a doll that couldn't sit easily, no matter how beautiful, and I have sold dolls for that. My dolls are displayed seated, and so sitting my dolls down is something I do almost every time I play with them. But then, I have low tolerance for "fiddly" joints and such that can't be fixed by fairly simple means such as restringing and silicon discs.

6. I have a doll like that, she won't sit up on her own for love nor money. She doesn't stand well either. I think it may be the way she's strung. I have a boy frmo the same company and he's amazing.

7. Neither of my SD Resinsoul girls can sit up unless I pop their upper-torso and belly joints and make them hunch over like crazy. Since they also can't look up, this is a hassle. I put up with it because I really love them otherwise, they stand beautifully, and they pose well in other ways. I have a couple of those lightweight wicker "peacock" chairs, and I usually bring them along to meets and such for my girls to sit in. (I feel it's always a good idea to bring doll furniture to a meet, if you can--someone's going to use it.) As much as I love Resinsoul, their joint engineering is not the very best, but they have other qualities that make it worthwhile for me.

I was pretty happy when I got my NotDoll Bellladonna, and discovered that she sits easily and is very stable. Her booty and thighs are very heavy and chunky (they're almost solid resin, just little tubes for the string), and that probably helps. But she doesn't stand very well. I feel like it's a trade-off. I don't think she really poses better than my RS girls, though she cost a lot more.
      I wouldn't sell a doll just because she couldn't sit up--I could work with that. I would definitely be more bugged by a $500 doll that couldn't sit up than I would a $200 doll, though. I do feel like improved joint engineering is one of the things an expensive company should work on a little bit more.

8. So far I haven't had a doll that couldn't sit-up on it's own, and I wouldn't want to. Especially since that's what my 'larger' (aka Yo-SD) dolls do all the time.

My Puki sits wonderfully, but has some issues if she's wearing leggings or pants (the fabric is cumbersome on a small body, or maybe I haven't gotten the right kind yet). The Ange Ai I had sat like a rock, literally, she was a bit clunky. My Bambicrony is a bit more delicate feeling and also sits well but.... she tends to thrust herself backwards when she sits, so she's not as sturdy, so I view her as a 'bad' sitter, but she can sit. I think I'd draw the line with her ability for any future purchases.

9. My Volks DDDy (Jen), EID woman (Altea) and DM Model F glamour bust (Aoi) don't sit up very well. Jen doesn't sit flat, kind of rocking forward and backward when sitting, though you can work around it if you let the legs stretch fully without bending the knees. Altea sits ok most of the time, but it doesn't take much of nudge to make her fall backward. Aoi can slouch and she's quite stable that way, but her head is forced to look down so she always looks depressed to me. If she doesn't slouch, she always falls backwards.

That said, I buy based on looks first and foremost. A super-functional body doesn't mean much to me if I don't love how it looks. The "function" of a doll is to look pretty.

10. I have a bigger issue with dolls who can't stand then sitting. My kids mostly have chairs to sit in at home and at meet ups I make choices from where to how they sit. But if they are going to stand or pose I am more worried about falling then simply tip over backwards from a sitting position.

11. My Orientdoll So cannot hold any pose other than the fetal position. Her body irritates me to no end, but she was a thoughtful gift from my family so I prop her up and treasure her anyway! The only dolls I've really had consistent posing luck with are my Fairyland crew, all of whom sit and stand like rocks.

12. The only doll I have that has a problem sitting is Dallas, he's on an FDoll body and for some reason (possibly the stringing) he leans back when he sits. I have a few other FDoll bods and none of them do this, so it's strange. I like to incorporate these kinds of things into their characters, so I say that Dallas just has really bad posture (ironic for a physician) but it does make for awkward looking photographs (he's always staring up into space because of the lean) and once he leaned into Tsukasa's legs, and knocked him over.

The only other problem I've ever had with sitting, is Dash - maybe it's his girlie stuck out ass, maybe it's his tight jeans - but whenever he sits, his rear end is just OUT. Which is funny, because his mold is a Delf MOON. XD

13. I have an EID Superhero without the mobility joints, and uhh yeah, he really can't sit... at all. He can kinda sit when propped against a wall naked, but he still pushes himself forward as he leans back. With pants on? Not a chance. He's so absolutely gorgeous though that I don't really care - he's just fine standing against a wall (he can also stand on his own, but not taking any chances leaving him like that!). I'm much more annoyed with his knees that keep dislocating >__<

My BBB Elfkin? Stands and sits like a champ. Have to get him to slouch a bit to sit, but then he's good as gold. I've restrung him and wired his legs, which eliminated virtually all posing problems. My EID ain't got nothing on him. :)

14. Haha it's amusing that so many EID owners have sitting issues, You'd think they'd be able to sit with ease, with all of those muscles! They must be on steroids and not at the gym, xD.

But Sunnie your boy IS hot, so he's forgiven, he can prop all he wants!

15. I have an IH YID girl and when I first got her, she wouldn't sit or stand, always flopping backwards and buckling at the knee. It drove me absolutely wild. I adored her sculpt and she was perfect in every way but posing. Well... *cue evil laugh* I fixed it. She now has thicker and tighter stringing, and is both sueded and wired. Now she poses like a champ, though standing is still awkward, but I have her in heel feet and shoes, so it's likely that's the main problem with that.

As for my pukipuki, she poses well for the most part, but sometimes I think something's wrong with me. Her elastic may be a bit loose, so she tends to not sit well and I have to fight for a bit to get her to stand. I can get my roomie's pukis to stand and sit, so I think it might just be my girl. Ah well. She's adorable anyways. Her stringing is a tad too tiny for me to attempt a tightening just yet.

16. As much as I love Supia's Rosy, it really bothered me that she couldn't sit or generally hold a pose without support....and I've had two of them! If Supia came out with a double jointed body or something equivalent to the mnf active line body, I would definately get her again. It's such a shame, as her body sculpting and face are utterly gorgeous. :)

17. My DDdy Yoko has trouble sitting, her bigger hips don't let her achieve more than a slouch, and as gaiaswill said she tends to rock abit unless her legs are nice and straight. Still she is usally sitting with my other girls, so one of them can usually steady her, or she can wear some nice heavy boots to keep her stable XD

18. Mine do this too, haha! I swear they do it on purpose! XD

19. All my guys sit up fine, but ya know.. if I liked a doll enough to spend a few hundred dollars on him, and he couldn't sit up, it wouldn't really change anything. I'd probably get frustrated sometimes, sure, but it's their faces I fall for, not their sit-up-ability. I don't care if he's an invalid, as long as he's pretty.

20. Oi, my Caleb (EID Lou) can't sit right with his pants on ><;; The material of the slacks I got for him is for some reason or another not very flexible apparently, but also when sitting without the pants, he's not quite align right in the way he's made, but if I have his back prop'd against something while seated (whether it's a wall or chair with a backing), adjust his plates or bend his upper torso it's not so bad. In a weird way this can work out for his character as he will usually prefer to have a wall behind him anyways.