1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Why do people put up with dolls that can't sit up?

Jun 1, 2010

1. I only have one doll that can't sit, and that's my UNoss, but the reason why she can't is because she's old and doesn't have any sitting mechanism whatsoever. I plan to mod her to sit, though.

2. It really depends what each owner thinks is most important. Most of my crew sit okay, with the only real problem child being my JID boy, but I believe what others have said - most problems can be sueded/modded away if you're determined enough. I do prefer them to sit easily as that is usually what they are doing when they're out of their boxes, but it's not a dealbreaker for me. Super posability isn't either. Some is nice, but more joints can mean more problems sometimes!

3. Jolen (RS Jun) was a hopeless case to sit by himself until I re-strung his legs. Now he does it just fine and stands steady as a rock, too. Kys (CD Longaway) sits pretty much anywhere I plunk him down. He can't slouch though. My AoD boys are rock solid sitters/standers (and slough beautifully). But.... Kijika (AoD/LE Doll collab) drives me mental as does Haniel (Cherish Chubby Demon).

Haniel is very fidgety to get to stand unaided even with shoes on. Sitting that boy is impossible unless he's pantsless and even then, it's touch and go. But I love his sculpt and he's absolutely perfect for the character he is so I ignore the problems I have with him and work around them when doing photostories.

Kijika has two issues. When sitting/standing, he leans waaaaaaaay back. He can sit with minimal fuss, but it always looks like he wants to just fall over backward. I think this is a jointing/engineering issue. He's also got a horrible case of "Magical Girl Legs" when seated on something that has his knees bent, like a chair/sofa (the legs are together from groin to knee and then splay out to the sides). It doesn't affect his sitting ability, but it does make him look more girlie than I like.

Annoyances aside, I love the sculpts and they were perfect for my purposes so I ignore the issues Kijika and Haniel have for the most part and just swear and mutter under my breath when I'm having a tough time getting them to do what I want.

4. Only doll that has serious issues with sitting is Shayla, my original release Volks Sweet Dream Myu. Now she's an oldskin body that is put together in a way Volks did away with for good reason. But I knew when I bought her the issues the body had. That "locking" spot that is present on the current jointed torsos is not there in the oldskin bodies. So she can't sit if her life depended on it, but she's loosely strung to help combat that and can hold a nice pose if I fight for a few minutes. This was why I wanted an older swari body, then the darn torso wouldn't matter, the legs would be able to handle it.

5. I have occasionally usually in conjunction with needing some work on their stringing. My Volks Myu can be a little tricky at times, but she also needs to be restrung, and she can prop herself up on her hands as well. Generally I have had few problems. However, sometimes a doll that may not sit great, stands like a rock, or has a terrific sculpt. Sometimes a little tweaking is all it takes to get a doll to pose better. It depends on what the owner wants and if there are trade offs that make the difficulty sitting worth it. There are lots of tricks like wiring and sueding that improve posibility greatly and are super easy to do, and that makes me less concerned about posiblity since much can be fixed to my liking anyway.

6. I have two Customhouse Ali's that can't do much of anything. Sitting is almost impossible. Their legs go in different directions when bent, not to mention they pop out of the knee joints. Standing is the only thing they can do with out too much fiddling. Would I buy from Customhouse again? NO! The wait to get your order was annoying. Top that off when they can't pose, does not make a good quality product for the money.

7. I've never had a doll that can't sit effortlessly, including some at the real bottom end of the price market . Standing used to take a lot of coaxing for my Resinsoul big girl and BBB mini (I finally gave in and wired them, and omg, the difference). But none have had any trouble sitting, in natural poses, and I find it difficult to imagine why sitting would be hard for a doll. I'm not the engineer in my family, of course.

As to why people put up with it - well, I guess, hybridising is a pain, and by the time you have hoped and dreamed and saved for a doll, it would be hard to go oh no, don't want it after all. But I'm just speculating here. I do know I'd be horrified to buy, say, an EID, and not even be able to make her sit, I'd feel truly ripped off. When you buy a less expensive doll, if you're sensible you know there's probably going to be some compromise involved in posing (although I'd still expect at the ability to sit and stand), but prices in the middle-to-higher bracket should come with at least basic functionality, no matter how pretty the body is.

8. I do have a doll that can't sit up without putting her hands behind her to hold herself up, and that's my version 1 dollfie dream. It's a problem in her waist, she's strung in two parts and the waist piece just doesn't hold the proper tension for her to sit up straight. Her bottom holds the sitting position just fine, but her waist doesn't stay up. I've tried tightening her, a lot, and it holds for a little bit then slips. There is a mod I could perform so she'd be single strung and would sit fine, but it would alter her from original condition and I'd rather not do that, since they don't make her body type anymore. She sits fine in her display, on chairs, and on any level surface as long as her hands are straight behind her to prop her top half.

9. two of my dolls take a bit of maneuvering to make them sit up, and one still isnt quite straight. i still love them though. if they have to lean they have to lean.

10. I used to have an Elfdoll Emma with the older body, and she couldn't sit to save her life...in fact she couldn't do hardly anything!....I also had an AoD Qian and she could sit like a dream.....If I'd paid a lot of money for a doll and it couldn't even sit up I would be so disappointed ....my 2 Dollzone dolls can sit up but not without some fighting with them, and if Chen has his tight leather pants on...well then forget it,Lol.....you would think the doll companies would make these dolls so that they don't need any modding or anything....lets face it, they are very expensive!

11. I've never had this problem, thankfully, with Elis. On the other hand, getting her to stand can take a bit of work, but by far and large, she's a great poser. Sometimes i DO get fustrated with her (and she's a really good poser!) that I believe if my dolls can't sit NOR stand, i will sell it away. Because poseabilty is very important to me!

12. Quite frankly, I don't think I've ever owned a doll that I couldn't get to sit up, un-modded, and without propping it against something. Granted, I have dolls that are easier to sit up if I have their back against a wall, stack of books, chair, or what-have-you, but that does not mean those things have to be present for the dolls to sit up.

13. Each of mine have minor problems. My Soom Beryl has a lot of trouble sitting up without being propped up, however, I found that if I put her in a kneeling position, with her knees on the ground, and her sitting on her hoofs? She's golden, and it looks so very ladylike. My K-Doll/Domuya hybrid is a pain in the rear, but it's just fiddling with him. I love him and all his floppiness, he just takes longer to pose. My two Fairyland LittleFees are awesome, but their torsos yank them backwards sometimes, so sueding is needed. My Soom Glot is so flipping topheavy with her horns, I have to have her sit a little differently, with one hoof under the other in a 4 position. It looks really good, and she's solid once in that position. My newest, a Buddydoll/Customhouse hybrid is a champion sitter. It's crazy. She looks so cute and demure while sitting too!

Each of them have thier quirks, but I don't mind much, it's just a challenge when I want them to do things. They've each got thier own idiocyncrasies, and I work around each of them. Wouldn't change them much.

14. Um probably because I dont judge my dolls posing as much as I do how they look ^^. My one tiny can be quite a pain sitting or what not at times but i just have to mess with her joints a bit and she works out alright. Shes way to special for me to just discard.

15. ~stares at Nanashi~ >>

He's on a female-to-male modded ResinSoul 1/3 body and the legs pop out of the hip joint and it's almost impossible to make him sit by himself.
      It doesn't bother me personally because he's the little shy gamer that loves bean bag chairs. xD
      Some people are just going to be more picky about it.

Its like, someone has this refined girl in a sort of traditional gown or alike versus a cuddly sort of character. It depends on the person and the character I would think. :3

16. 1. Do you have a doll that can't sit up? Did you contact the company? Does it bother you?

Yes, in fact I do have a doll that cannot sit up on her own. It is because she has a non jointed torso piece. I knew of the sitting issue when I bought her and felt no need to contact the company. I bought her for her body and face sculpt. Though the torso is very hard to pose, the sculpt is so beautiful I felt it a sacrifice I could live with. She can stand just fine and sits greats in chairs or leaning against something. I love my girl and it does not bother me in the least bit, her torso is the most beautiful torso I have ever seen on a ABJD and well worth the price of having to prop her up ^_^

17. All my dolls are kept in my house either in a curio or on doll furniture. Sitting them straight on a table is a non-issue for me since I would never do it in my house or at a dollmeet. At a dollmeet they are either on stands or on doll furniture.

I bought my Amber knowing she wouldn't be able to sit very well because that's how Soom said she was constructed. And they were pretty right about that. I do have her siting on a chair in my house but I have to be careful when placing her on it so that she doesn't slide down.

I've never had problems with my EID's sitting even in Iple jeans as long as the chairs I use are tall enough for them. And I also have gotten them to sit without any backing.

All resins have their own posing quirks even my one Volks who is among the worst of my dolls to pose. I've learned to live with them.

18. I have somewhat of a problem sitting my BBB Dai, even after me and my best friend restrung her. But it isn't her fault, she has odd hip joints that don't like to sit. *shrug* I still LOVE my beautiful girl and just do my best to make do with what she can do. :)

19. All my boys can sit up, but the Leekeworld D-sized body irks me the most, I think, enough to where I'll probably hybrid him at some point. Kamijo, my Romeo, will sit... but not straight. He leans back at an angle. It bothers me sometimes, but I did buy the gentle body instead of the real body for the aesthetic of the torso muscles, but one day I might go ahead and change the bodies out.

If my dolls couldn't sit up at all, I would definitely sell the bodies and hybrid them.

20. My RS Bei has a little problem sitting straight, but if I slouch her forward or put one of her hands behind her she's pretty solid. In fact she even stands easily and I haven't even sueded her yet! Hopefully she'll be just as solid when I take her apart to blush her and have to re-string her, that still terrifies me. The only thing that really irks me is that her hands and feet are a bit stiff, but some s-hooks or some hotglue should fix that a bit, it doesn't bother me too terribly much.

I know my friend's AOD 1/4 girls sit great, though one's belly joint pops when you so much as breathe on her, the other poses beautifully, solid as a freaking rock. Same body, different posing abilities. Must be stringing differences. ::shrugs:: Was able to stand one up as long as her hand was on the coffee table next to her, but I didn't really mess with them too much.

It would annoy me too much if my dolls weren't good posers in general, but selling would be a last resort, restringing, suedeing and modding would come first.